2025 recruitment & retention

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I disagree.

He re-signed to pkay centre then played nearly all of last year on the wing with little complaint.

If he is given this an extended shot this year and is then moved back I dont necessarily think he wants out. I think many are simply drawing conclusions there.

FYI though, I'm still in on him at centre
Garrick is one of the leaders at the club. I agree totally. He wouldn't kick up a stink. He is a team man

So you may think its too early to be talking 2025 recruitment but these wheels very much need to be in motion.

So my unsolicited thoughts.

Firstly, our off contract guys

Nathan Brown, Gordan Chan Kum Tong, Jamie Humphreys, Karl Lawton, Matt Lodge, Ray Vaega, Corey Wadell.

I'd certainly extend Brown another year, I think year by year is best but I could handle two years. I think we can kinda wait and see on the rest. Lodge very likely but give him at least a couple of games. Lawton will go I think and I'd let Vaega go. Waddell on minimum I think would be fine for another year but you can wait till August/Sept for that and Gordie and Jamie.....well I guess it depends on how much of a future we see in them. I've been hyped but I'm moving towards unsure.

Schuster, well I'm working on the basis of him not being here and us having a chunk of his money (who knows how much).

I'd be targeting an edge (to replace Schuster) a back.

For mine

1. Trey Mooney or Kulikefu Finefeuiaki - Two very highly rated young forwards. Finefeuiaki currently has a lot of hype and may end up over priced so Id look at sneaking under the radar on Trey Mooney. A log jam of forwards at Canberra so we may just be able to grab and I think he comess straight into our 17

2. Kayal Iro - been banging his drum for a while but, too good for NSW Cup, but I see now he has won that Sharkies centre position. I'd grab him but it may just move Garrick back to the wing.

I know people want the big names but I think the above are available, set to break out and could fit our salary cap.
2025 draft plans
The players in bold are the players who I recon positions are safe compared to the ones not in bold are where we can improve the squad.
If it's true that we do have money from schuster i think it's important we choose the right players.
From looking at this the key position I would be looking for would be a quality centre or winger, combined with another mid tier second row to add depth and more competition. I think Humphries will sort out our hooker debate and will be handed the role from Croker sometime in the 2025 season.
Talks about singing katoni staggs will suit our set up perfectly but may be a little far fetched still, i was very interested in turuva but looks like he's going elsewhere. the next man would be kayal iro from the sharks and that would be putting garrick back on the wing. then also kulikefu finefeuiaki would be a great singing for battling with a spot for burbo for that starting spot.

1. tom
2. saab
3. koula
4. garrick (centre or wing)
5. talau
6. brooks
7. cherry
8. paseka
9. croker / humphries
10.lodge
11.olakau'ata
12. burbo
13. jake

14. lawton / gordie
15. sipley
16. brown
17. waddell

1-5 cover
paulo, vaega, faulalo, hopoate

6-7 cover
arthur, wakeham

9 cover - humphries and gordie

middle forward cover
bullemor, alloiai, navale

edge forward cover
parker

thoughts?

Get Talagi, kid looks an exceptional talent. I'd prefer him over spending big on Staggs.

PARRAMATTA FACE FIGHT TO KEEP RISING STARS
-Brent Read
Canberra have wasted no time resurrecting their pursuit of boom Parramatta half Ethan Sanders as the Eels’ quest to retain not just one – but two – of their rising stars officially enters the danger zone.
Sanders was in talks with the Raiders last year before the NRL changed their rules, preventing players with limited experience in senior rugby league negotiating with rival clubs prior to the end of round six.
With round six now complete, Sanders and fellow Eels star Blaize Talagi have hit the open market with clubs queuing to speak to both players.
This masthead understands that the Raiders made contact with Sanders’ camp on Monday and remain clear frontrunners for the 19-year-old, having identified him last year as a long-term successor to Jamal Fogarty in the No. 7 jersey.
Talks were believed to be in motion before the rules changed but the Raiders’ interest never waned and while the Eels have indicated they want to keep Sanders, he is expected to move clubs at the end of the season given his path to first grade is blocked at Parramatta by Dylan Brown and Mitchell Moses.
Even the absence of Moses in recent weeks hasn’t been enough to convince coach Brad Arthur to hand him a first grade debut, a decision that is believed to have pushed him closer to the exit door.
Sanders also has some familiar faces at Canberra to lean on – he played in the NSW under 19 team with Ethan Strange and Chevy Stewart. Talagi, meanwhile, has been given a taste of first grade and has an option in his contract for next season, but is yet to inform Parramatta whether he intends to take up the clause.
It means he is now up for grabs and this masthead understands that a number of clubs are circling the 19-year-old, who has played three first grade games already this season.
Arthur handed Talagi his debut in the centres but then shifted him to five-eighth when Moses went down. After two weeks in the No. 6 jersey, he was dropped last weekend and now has a decision to make as he weighs up whether to stay at the Eels or explore the open market.
His future hangs in the balance as the Eels prepare to finalise a deal with St George Illawarra centre Zac Lomax. Parramatta will confirm Lomax’s signature this week on a deal believed to be worth $2.7 million from next season.
The Dragons are bracing for Parramatta to push for Lomax to gain an early release, although St George Illawarra have made it clear they won’t given that any consideration unless they are given a player of equal standard in return.

Easts will need two new centres from next season so we can forget about recruiting the two best centres that come on the market. If we are lucky we may get the third best, if there is one.
Frankly, I'm not sure strengthening a centre position is a necessity. What I'd love is a workaholic lock like Murray or Cotter. Jurbo should be a starting prop imo. Brown works well as a 'shock' lock from the bench.

Easts will need two new centres from next season so we can forget about recruiting the two best centres that come on the market. If we are lucky we may get the third best, if there is one.
Frankly, I'm not sure strengthening a centre position is a necessity. What I'd love is a workaholic lock like Murray or Cotter. Jurbo should be a starting prop imo. Brown works well as a 'shock' lock from the bench.
Agree...i would just be adding the best forward we can.

Preference for a class 13 as you say

I can’t see how we’d be able to able to afford Fafita. I doubt the club would want two million dollar edge forwards on the books. It’s a lot of money tied up in two positions.

I also think Fafita would be better utilised in the middle. He catches a cold on an edge. His late footwork and strength would cause havoc around the ruck.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8