2025 recruitment & retention

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Mate I thought I’d check your Lodge injury prone claim as that was not my impression.

Excluding initial years 2014/2015 breaking into first grade at the Tigers (and 2016/17 after breaking into NY apartments)) Matt Lodge has played:
2018 - 25 games (Broncos)
2019 - 22 games (Broncos)
2020 - 6 games (Broncos) - acl + broken tibia
2021 - 18 games (Broncos & Warriors) - missed a game with club change
2022 - 17 games (Warriors & Easts) - missed 7 games with club change
2023 - 12 games (Easts & Manly) - missed 5 games with club change, 5 games with facial fracture & 3 games with the ACL we all know about).
2024 - missed opening 6 rounds with same ACL

So I’d suggest Matt is not particularly injury prone, especially when compared with his peers. Sure he’s had the ACL issue but with the others, there’s not much you can do about impact injuries like head clashes and broken legs.

Hopefully for our sakes (and his) Matt stays injury free for the rest of 2024 and onwards!

Wow, thanks for the effort and thoughtful reply mate !! I really appreciate that, hey !!. So we are looking at 6.33 odd years (including a third of a season there.)

So based on a 24 game season (just a guess), and going off your stats:

2018 - missed 0 games
2019 - missed 0 games
2020 - missed 18 games
2021 - missed 5 games
2022 - missed 0 games
2023 - missed 8 games
2024 - missed 6 games

So 37 games (missed from injury), not including being moved on from various clubs. You said 13 games missed due to 3 club changes. That's an average of 5.8 games a season (let's say 6).

Therefore, on average, he misses 25% of every single season over the last 6.33 seasons.

Is that injury prone?

I reckon run metres alone is only part of the equation.

Yep post contact is another piece

Play the ball speed is a huge one. An area Lodge is top tier for props?

A quick play of the ball so defence still getting onside, the player might have SFA run metres but he's basically gifting our next runner more run metres.

It's where I think Guac run metres become a little less meaningful, as the way he often get them is with out speed. It is slowly walk dragging men down field, often slow play of the ball or when opposition defensive line is then set.

So Metres gained only part of the story for mine.

IMO Lodge just appeared our best in those couple of games. And by a long way.

Hopefully he stays fit and all our forwards do enough that which one is best is a real head ache.
Dragons game… Lodge PTB 3.43sec… Woods 3.36, Bully 3.33, Jake 3.21, Keppie 3.14, Sips 3.03…

Sharks game… Lodge PTB 3.11sec… Paseka 3.04, Woods 2.95, Keppie 2.81…

He was also bested by at least half of the forward pack for tackle efficiency in both games… the one place he stood out was tackle busts (4 each game) but was equaled or bested by Guac and Tuilagi in both games (again Kelma is goooone)… the other thing I would point out is Lodge was coming off a non-injury break, was motivated by a new opportunity and therefore was probably a lot fresher than our boys…

I just think last season we were looking for something, ANYTHING to get us going for finals and Lodge came in and looked good and many of us grasped onto it and hoped… I mean Sharon had the same post-contact metres in one game, played the ball faster in both games yet I don’t hear people screaming for us to upgrade him and make him a Sea-eagle for life asap…

Like I said, he played well but nothing extraordinary for mine…

Btw… not trying to degrade anyone’s opinion… I just do not think upgrading him on a large contract off those two games makes sense… and I don’t like the guy 😀

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the effort and thoughtful reply mate !! I really appreciate that, hey !!. So we are looking at 6.33 odd years (including a third of a season there.)

So based on a 24 game season (just a guess), and going off your stats:

2018 - missed 0 games
2019 - missed 0 games
2020 - missed 18 games
2021 - missed 5 games
2022 - missed 0 games
2023 - missed 8 games
2024 - missed 6 games

So 37 games (missed from injury), not including being moved on from various clubs. You said 13 games missed due to 3 club changes. That's an average of 5.8 games a season (let's say 6).

Therefore, on average, he misses 25% of every single season over the last 6.33 seasons.

Is that injury prone?
It's borderline isn't it. A lot hinges on how this year pans out. Apparently when he got the surgery last year they discovered his ACL had been degraded for some time prior to the injury. So there is a chance his mobility actually improves post surgery. If he plays out the season without injury I'd be happy to sign him up for 25/26 but it's definitely too early to be talking immediate long term upgrade.

Last edited:
I agree had some games where he was our best forward on the park but I think that said more about the standard of the other forwards than anything else. Just my opinion, but nothing about his game made me think we need to retain him at any cost.
"At any cost" I'm not sure but is worth another contract extention since he has that mongrel and intimidation that our forward pack has lacked since Glenn Stewart and Anthony Watmough moved on from the club.

"At any cost" I'm not sure but is worth another contract extention since he has that mongrel and intimidation that our forward pack has lacked since Glenn Stewart and Anthony Watmough moved on from the club.
We had that with Keppie but reigned it in… cause he kept getting suspended…

It may be just me but I am upgrading and keeping Sips EVERY time over Lodge - equal impact with more growth, more potential and less injuries/baggage…

Plus he is not a DH which is a nice bonus 😀

Surprised to read some comments re Lodge.

Broncos 2018-19 he was an absolute weapon, followed by a little dip after injury (around the Brisbane to NZ to Bondi transitions).

Roosters 2022 he almost single handedly carried the Roosters into the finals. At this point, he was being seriously considered for Kangaroos jersey. Shafted by the Roosters when JWH did a backflip, and people may have short memories...but last year, we were trending down very rapidly (crashing out of contention, if you will), and this bloke blasts through a couple of decent packs, all of a sudden, we're playing for a spot in the 8. He gets injured, and our forwards turn to butter. Like seriously fellas? Putting aside past indiscretions for a moment, just talking footy... he would comfortably be our best prop (or second best, depending on whether Paseka continues his form).

He's 28. Is anyone saying JFH is too old? Maturing with a young family, with possible career stability and appreciation, Injury free, this guy could still play his best 5 years from now. I may be wrong, but I have a feeling we've found our pack leader, and I reckon Seibold quietly does too

Lodge didn't get shafted by the Roosters. He was let go because they didn't want him on the team.

He did what he has always done in his career at Easts. Starts off well through his power and intimidation and then wears out his welcome. It has happened 4 times now.

I'm ok giving the guy another chance as long as it doesn't come with a big contract. Keep the guy hungry as its the only thing that seems to work with him.

We had that with Keppie but reigned it in… cause he kept getting suspended…

It may be just me but I am upgrading and keeping Sips EVERY time over Lodge - equal impact with more growth, more potential and less injuries/baggage…

Plus he is not a DH which is a nice bonus 😀
Kept getting suspended, giving away penalties, dropping the ball, going missing at key moments...

I sure do miss him

Kept getting suspended, giving away penalties, dropping the ball, going missing at key moments...

I sure do miss him
Was not saying I missed him… just that he had plenty of “mongrel” early on and we took it out of him because it does not get you anywhere anymore - look at Jack Hetherington who would have been lauded as a legend for his recent indiscretion back in 90s - 2000s

Dragons game… Lodge PTB 3.43sec… Woods 3.36, Bully 3.33, Jake 3.21, Keppie 3.14, Sips 3.03…

Sharks game… Lodge PTB 3.11sec… Paseka 3.04, Woods 2.95, Keppie 2.81…

He was also bested by at least half of the forward pack for tackle efficiency in both games… the one place he stood out was tackle busts (4 each game) but was equaled or bested by Guac and Tuilagi in both games (again Kelma is goooone)… the other thing I would point out is Lodge was coming off a non-injury break, was motivated by a new opportunity and therefore was probably a lot fresher than our boys…

I just think last season we were looking for something, ANYTHING to get us going for finals and Lodge came in and looked good and many of us grasped onto it and hoped… I mean Sharon had the same post-contact metres in one game, played the ball faster in both games yet I don’t hear people screaming for us to upgrade him and make him a Sea-eagle for life asap…

Like I said, he played well but nothing extraordinary for mine…

Btw… not trying to degrade anyone’s opinion… I just do not think upgrading him on a large contract off those two games makes sense… and I don’t like the guy 😀
Appreciate the effort in those stats.

Very Very interesting.

What is it then about Lodgey that make ppl think he's going good?

Was I just hanging for a saviour for our Manly forwards?;-). I even thought he pretty good last week first week back. Short stints for both him and Woods granted.

You've got me interested to really watch the forwards closely tomorrow.

Very interesting. 🤔

Appreciate the effort in those stats.

Very Very interesting.

What is it then about Lodgey that make ppl think he's going good?

Was I just hanging for a saviour for our Manly forwards?;-). I even thought he pretty good last week first week back. Short stints for both him and Woods granted.

You've got me interested to really watch the forwards closely tomorrow.

Very interesting. 🤔
We had lost 3 of our last 4 games and he played well in 2 games that we won and dominated in the forwards… I feel like he got a lot of credit for the whole pack lifting…

I should add he had 3 offloads against sharks and Woods and Croker were only other forwards to get an offload (1 each whilst Lodge was ONLY forward with a single offload in dragons game… so he did well there but not ridiculously good…

I actually think Sharon has one of our better PTB speeds but he gets a lot of grief for being “slow” and having “no impact”… I do not really care if they resign Lodge as he has something to offer but no way he is worth anything like his previous contract off his 3 games ao far… imo…

Last edited:
I see some here taking sides with his previous employer without knowing the details, fair enough I suppose. And others throwing out stats, working very hard I might add, to understate his influence. It's quite clearly personal, because anyone who watches footy for the sake of footy can see he's a very effective and dominant middle forward

I see some here taking sides with his previous employer without knowing the details, fair enough I suppose. And others throwing out stats, working very hard I might add, to understate his influence. It's quite clearly personal, because anyone who watches footy for the sake of footy can see he's a very effective and dominant middle forward
I'll take the side of 4 different employers.....absolutely. Thats just common sense.

But hey maybe its them and not him?

And that's nothing personal as i said I'm ok having Lodge on the team if it's low risk for Manly i.e. low dollar, short duration contracts.

Last edited:
It’s personal to the extent that I have no time for germs that break into people’s homes and beat women and children… but each to their own I guess… re-read my posts as I do not try to hide it, it is clearly stated “I DO NOT LIKE THE GUY”…

People put forward their opinion that he was “best forward we had” in his 2 games and that justifies upgrading him immediately…

I “worked very hard” to present some facts that support my own opinion that our other forwards went just as well in those 2 games and that he is not worth a big contract on those games…

I like to demonstrate that my position is supported by the data, I’m funny like that… if you have some facts that support your position then I am more than happy to see them…

Clearly we sometimes see what we want to see and again I am fine with that as I have favourite players too…

I'll take the side of 4 different employers.....absolutely. Thats just common sense.

But hey maybe its them and not him?

And that's nothing personal as i said I'm ok having Lodge on the team if it's low risk for Manly i.e. low dollar, short duration contracts.
How many clubs did terry hill play for?

It’s personal to the extent that I have no time for germs that break into people’s homes and beat women and children… but each to their own I guess… re-read my posts as I do not try to hide it, it is clearly stated “I DO NOT LIKE THE GUY”…

People put forward their opinion that he was “best forward we had” in his 2 games and that justifies upgrading him immediately…

I “worked very hard” to present some facts that support my own opinion that our other forwards went just as well in those 2 games and that he is not worth a big contract on those games…

I like to demonstrate that my position is supported by the data, I’m funny like that… if you have some facts that support your position then I am more than happy to see them…

Clearly we sometimes see what we want to see and again I am fine with that as I have favourite players too…
Obviously I agree with you re his, almost inconceivable, actions in NY. I am not attempting to defend him, nor am I in a position to truly judge him either.

Simply, I come on here to chat footy. He's a good player. I'm not saying he's a good person.

I love Manly. Does his inclusion in our team bring us closer to another premiership? Potentially, I think so. Certainly our most dominant prop since AFB. I guess time will tell who turns out to be correct.

Go manly.

Why even bring up run metres when comparing forwards. Apparently fisher Harris is the best forward in the game but has averaged less then 10m per run this year and only getting an average 90m a game. Its more then just metres, lodge brings aggression which then makes our other forwards step up. People that are brining up all this average metres bull**** should be questioning why fisher Harris is regarded the best prop in the game then. His average metres is ****.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8