A radical rule change

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
Rugby league has become too predictable. Die with the ball for the first three tackles; throw it to the backs on the fourth tackle and hope the now outdated decoy runners confuse the defenders. Then, when that fails, give it to someone to kick high, and hope.
This leads to a game like we watched last night. Manly’s only hope of scoring was that the kick would lead to a ‘Boys mistake. With Foran kicking, this was never likely to happen. But the ‘Boys used the same tactic. However, their kickers were more skillful, and it did force Manly into errors.
I’ve been watching RL for 55 years and I’m sick of the kick being the main form of scoring tries. If you are like me you may consider the merits of this radical suggestion:

Only the kicker can regather the ball; all his teammates have to remain outside a 10-metre radius.

This will negate most of the high-kick-and hope plays, and the kicks to the corner for the beanpole wingers. It will also encourage the Phil Blake type players to chip over the top and regather.
Most of all it will encourage coaches to use the old fashioned pass-run-pass-run plays that saw greats like Cliffy use cunning and sleight-of-hand to baffle opponents.
Thoughts?

Or, tries scored from kicks worth three points?

My guess it was the 'bomb' by Peter Sterling that started it all.

And what about scrums? Truly embarrassing to the game. What a charade.

I thought this was about the scrum and no longer being offside.

Last night and last week as well we fed the scrum at old school speed (the ball took 3-4 seconds to come out) by this stage the cows defence were inline with the feet of their lock but the ref just ignored it. Given it was a gift of an even up (i.e. minimal advantage to us) I thought this rule must have been changed without anyone knowing

I have thought about changing the predictability of the game for a while now. My "rule change" would be if you are caught with the ball on the last tackle, you get another tackle, however you aren't allowed to kick on that tackle. Just a thought

Its a shame these days that so many tries are scored from kicks. I would rather see the ball go through hands and overlaps created. Scrums are merely for decoration and betray what the whole purpose of a scrum used to be.

While you've got Gus and Rabs banging on and back slapping each other over the "spectacle" that a winger supposedly creates with an AFL style jump and athletic put down, it will_NEVER_CHANGE. In fact I'd be surprised if the exact opposite occurred and they started awarding extra points for style and other bullsh*t that makes the "product" more "spectacular" and more palatable to the Victorian public..

John Peard was the original bomber. Same slimy club though.

When Peard kicked his up-and-unders it was a new tactic. Now it is being used as the No.1 attacking option. The balance needs to be redressed. Surely we'd all like to see more clever forwards (like Beetson and Reilly) making breaks and slipping offloads, and backs with the skill to put teammates through gaps via stealth.

Thought Peard started it at the Roosters, but I could be wrong - hey its a long time ago and I only remember Manly stuff. Anyway, I hated it then, and its 45 yrs later, and I still think its a cheap way of scoring. So yes, I vote for the re-introduction of 3 point tries. For these bomb tries.
5 Point tries could be / should be introduced where the ball has passed through 8 or more sets of hands.

Thought Peard started it at the Roosters, but I could be wrong - hey its a long time ago and I only remember Manly stuff. Anyway, I hated it then, and its 45 yrs later, and I still think its a cheap way of scoring. So yes, I vote for the re-introduction of 3 point tries. For these bomb tries.
5 Point tries could be / should be introduced where the ball has passed through 8 or more sets of hands.
Peard didn't start it, but certainly made a fine art of it.
Before Peard they used to be called "up and unders", I remember Fulton, Batty, and Dick Thornett using them.
However until about 25 years ago, they were worse as you weren't able to diffuse a bomb by catching them on the full in your ingoal

I have detested the cross field bombs to the wingers. For over 20 years it seems to be some teams sole attack until they get a few and then start throwing the ball around. What I dislike is the tap back. All tap backs should be deemed as knock-ons. At least when someone jumps for the ball, we can admire their skill rather than a hit and miss attempt.

Why don't in the last 10 minutes of each half the attacking team get 3 balls in play

Multiball!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though just no, that's not the answer

Why not play just 80 metres and take the 1 and 13 off the bench

Oh wait we have this, mod for under 10s

I've mentioned this before but I would have a 5mtr red zone painted in front of the try line to "reduce" the frequency of putting up a kick to land a meter or two from the try line and forcing the catcher into the in-goal.

If the defending team catches the ball in this red zone along with the in-goal area it is a 20m tap restart and 7 tackles.

To make the restart more exciting I would allow the opposition to restart over the entire width of the field (or at least the middle third) behind the 20m line as teams just get numbers in the middle third real quick waiting for the tap restart.

Another rule I would bring in is two consecutive penalties given away inside the attacking 20m line results in a 7 tackle restart and on the rare occasion if ever three penalties are given it is an automatic 5min sin bin.

Peard didn't start it, but certainly made a fine art of it.
Before Peard they used to be called "up and unders", I remember Fulton, Batty, and Dick Thornett using them.
However until about 25 years ago, they were worse as you weren't able to diffuse a bomb by catching them on the full in your ingoal
It was also referred to as a Gary Owen as well. I remember bomber Peard doing that for the worms and they scored many tries from it.

Its a shame that the good old fashioned chip and chase is pretty much gone as it used to be really exciting to watch, Phil Blake and famously Steve Mortimer were experts at it.

Nope Johnny " Bomber" Peard, playing for the Eels started it all!!

Why don't we just get good refs and play international rules
And have refs that referee to the rule book. What crap today about shot clocks and other rubbish. If a team is time wasting penalise them.
I'm sick of "ref coaches" with their ridiculous "time your run", "play it with your foot" , "MOOOOOOVE" rubbish. I have always hated the second ref and even moreso now with that stupid camera on their head that give you camera angles for 3-4 tackles that make you nauseous. Yes I am an old grumpy pr%$k, but I find now, that even after an infrequent Manly win, I still somehow sort of feel peed off with the game.

And have refs that referee to the rule book. What crap today about shot clocks and other rubbish. If a team is time wasting penalise them.
I'm sick of "ref coaches" with their ridiculous "time your run", "play it with your foot" , "MOOOOOOVE" rubbish. I have always hated the second ref and even moreso now with that stupid camera on their head that give you camera angles for 3-4 tackles that make you nauseous. Yes I am an old grumpy pr%$k, but I find now, that even after an infrequent Manly win, I still somehow sort of feel peed off with the game.
While I'm not yet old I'm getting close

I hate these changes for the point of change

I like changes that make sense

Drop out shot clock is good
2 refs is stupid
7 tackle set is good
If i was to make a rule I'd have any u20s or reserve grader playing in place of a concussed or knocked out player without limit, concussion would be either agreed upon by both sides or neutral doctor

As it sits in a grand final I'd instruct my players to deliberately concuss any and all players on the other side with cheap shots

They must go off and can't come back

What's that I'm suspended for 4 games to start next year and 2 of those are trials

Oh no

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6