Amateur players blog

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Gents

Looks like I will end up coaching my young lads team this year

Anyone have experience in coaching a under 10's team?

Gents

That's awesome. Please teach them to tackle like Jake Trbo, it's gone missing his style.

Mental above physical, defence above attack. That's my advice, although I for sure haven't been a coach

Last edited by a moderator:
Gents

That's awesome. Please teach them to tackle like Jake Trbo, it's gone missing his style.

Mental above physical, defence above attack. That's my advice, although I for sure haven't been a coach

Yes, I too think you should teach your under 10's cricket team to tackle like Jake! lol

Erm...no experience but everyone says 'man mgt' is important so be nice to everyone.

I went through years of bowling (as a kid) and no one pointed out I was hopping into my delivery stride until I got to high school. So if you see a gumby doing that....tell them about the whole left foot right foot thing!

I have coached football pretty much my whole life but have been out of cricket so long I am not sure where to start! Thank goodness for google...

Yes, I too think you should teach your under 10's cricket team to tackle like Jake! lol

Erm...no experience but everyone says 'man mgt' is important so be nice to everyone.

I went through years of bowling (as a kid) and no one pointed out I was hopping into my delivery stride until I got to high school. So if you see a gumby doing that....tell them about the whole left foot right foot thing!
Oh ****, hahaha thought it was an u10's league team lol. Don't think they'd allow jakey's tactics in that

I have coached football pretty much my whole life but have been out of cricket so long I am not sure where to start! Thank goodness for google...

Dear google, can you please be my dad? lol

Oh ****, hahaha thought it was an u10's league team lol. Don't think they'd allow jakey's tactics in that

It worked for Andrew Symonds on that streaker!

Don't let the kid who wants to bat or bowl actually bat or bowl first, you don't need to put up with that ****

Don't play favorites but if your kid is the gun bat or bowl let him be the gun

Backstop is a legitimate fielding position, slips not so much

Don't make the fat/asthma kid run from fine leg to fine leg

Don't let the kid who wants to bat or bowl actually bat or bowl first, you don't need to put up with that ****

Don't play favorites but if your kid is the gun bat or bowl let him be the gun

Backstop is a legitimate fielding position, slips not so much

Don't make the fat/asthma kid run from fine leg to fine leg

He ain't no gun my boy! Thanks - all advice taken

He ain't no gun my boy! Thanks - all advice taken
I'd even go as far as to say in u/10s unless you spot an out of this world freak of a kid batting and bowling positions could rotate, keep a keen eye on prospects for u/12s because that could be rep teams time

It is supposedly for fun afterall but certain kids will have white line fever or as i call it killer instinct

My advice comes from a coaches son who wss somewhat misused as to not be seen as the coaches son, i didn't see a new pill till my second year of seniors where i shredded batting orders like paper and wanted to staple my broken record statistics to a certain ex coaches forehead

I'd even go as far as to say in u/10s unless you spot an out of this world freak of a kid batting and bowling positions could rotate, keep a keen eye on prospects for u/12s because that could be rep teams time

It is supposedly for fun afterall but certain kids will have white line fever or as i call it killer instinct

My advice comes from a coaches son who wss somewhat misused as to not be seen as the coaches son, i didn't see a new pill till my second year of seniors where i shredded batting orders like paper and wanted to staple my broken record statistics to a certain ex coaches forehead
The rules have changed where every batsman gets 17 balls and the bowlers a set amount each as well

My theory is to make them the best fielding team and hope the rest works out!

The rules have changed where every batsman gets 17 balls and the bowlers a set amount each as well

My theory is to make them the best fielding team and hope the rest works out!
Yeah I've heard of that

The rules differ between districts though

Gents

LOL I got roped into coaching my boys' team as well this year - U10's too. We can share frustrations during the season.

If you haven't already then look up the Cricket Australia website - plenty of resources there. They also have an App - "CA Junior Formats" - free to download and some useful stuff there.

As you've probably gathered they have brought in this new format to make the game fun and give everyone a go. Their research was showing numbers declining at Junior level because of the emphasis on technical skills and not on the kids developing a love for the game. Hence the shortened pitch length to make it easier for bowlers and the fielder and bowler rotation + batsman set number of balls all adds up to the kids having fun and loving cricket again. I'm just approaching training from that same point of view - keep it fun and just give them the basic technical baseline to work with - balanced stance when facing up, and get side on and keep straight arm when bowling. The rest is not important, just have a go.

LOL I got roped into coaching my boys' team as well this year - U10's too. We can share frustrations during the season.

If you haven't already then look up the Cricket Australia website - plenty of resources there. They also have an App - "CA Junior Formats" - free to download and some useful stuff there.

As you've probably gathered they have brought in this new format to make the game fun and give everyone a go. Their research was showing numbers declining at Junior level because of the emphasis on technical skills and not on the kids developing a love for the game. Hence the shortened pitch length to make it easier for bowlers and the fielder and bowler rotation + batsman set number of balls all adds up to the kids having fun and loving cricket again. I'm just approaching training from that same point of view - keep it fun and just give them the basic technical baseline to work with - balanced stance when facing up, and get side on and keep straight arm when bowling. The rest is not important, just have a go.
Sounds like a good plan

I think we might need to create our own support group....my son has already worn a helmet more that I ever did in my playing days!

The sad thing is I'm still playing and NEED to wear a helmet. Reflexes are so slow now I don't trust myself to get out of the way in time.

Playing Prems a few years back, team I always score runs against, opening bowler who was fringe 1st class pitches one up and I drive it for 4, get a few short ones in a row, another one up, back over his head for another boundary. From that point on for the next 45mins got nothing in my half !! Wasn't a hell of a lot of fun at the time, and I wore a few bruises on the arm and chest, but **** I walked off feeling satisfied ! Only 40 not out but **** it was a battle
Played against them again the next season on a green seamer, I come in and we were about 30/6 with their 1st class seamer destroying us. Hung in there, got a few away, saw the captain walk over to the bowler and knew what was on the way. Managed the cleanest pull shot of my life, went well over the boundary, and heard the bowler say to the skipper "think he can play that", huge relief when he went back to normal length after that

Never been hit on the scone during a game, have been once in the nets haha, absolute goat track we were training on, wicketkeeper bowling about 55km pitches one in a good length, went forward to defend the ball which should have been knee height and took it square in the grill

Training as a club is a strange situation

Last night we had basically a first grade squad of 14 or so and 2 eighth graders and myself and the fourth grade captain , i elected not to bat so i could concentrate on making the pieces fit bowling

I remembered more of the eighty one steps to bowl at speed i felt in the battle until fatigue took over, it feels good to pick up an edge from a first grade player again, hell it felt magic having them on the defensive

I'm not 100% sure what grade I'll be playing this year, I'm just hoping i get a red hot crack at it

I'm changing jobs starting Monday so hopefully without sitting on my ass for 90% of the day eating chips hopefully i can drop a few before the season proper starts in November

I had hoped to get to net bowl to the hurricanes or tigers but that was always a long shot, even next year where i hope to be 30kg lighter and toned as ****

Had a hit of Last Man Stands today. Good fun format and it looks like they have a good worldwide set up. Well organised competition.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8