And the new NSW coach is…. Michael Maguire??!! (nee McGuire)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Surely a bit of a conflict of interest with his Kiwis role. If a player is eligible for both which was is he going to try and sway them ?

Thought Toovey would have been perfect for the role but never heard his name mentioned

Gotta be better than Freddy.
Freddy was 3 for 6… McGuire would have killed for 50% win rate at his most recent appointment as head coach…

MM has done well with NZ but international league is really a 2 horse race… he may do well, I hope he does well but his WT days/departure worries me…

Last edited:
As a Maroon supporter I am so Glad the Inspirational Toovey did not get the job

Looking Forward to the 2024 Maguire Massacre and another Maroon Series win

Rob Schneider GIF

I'm ......sort of optimistic. I think he's a bit of a hard nut and like you said @lsz he's meant to be intense. Those types can work for a short period of time, longer term....you need to keep mixing it up.

Although I think the Tigers just showed what a bunch of soyboys they are that it was too much for them.

• 👍
Reactions: lsz
The only applicants were Maguire & John Cartwright. Toovey didn't apply. When Toovey applied for the Kiwi coaching role, Maguire was preferred.

Maguire has a 10-5 record with the Kiwis & is apparently their most successful ever coach. It will be interesting to see his Blues team selections. There shouldn't be any conflict with selection vis-a-vis NZ players. Foreign born players are not eligible for SOO selection unless they resided in NSW or QLD before age 13, or their father has played SOO. Anyone who has played for NZ or England (Tier 1 countries) is not eligible for SOO, e.g. Radley.

Not a huge fan of Maguire but SOO is a very different beast to week by week NRL. Will perform better imo with SOO and an elite team with no salary cap restrictions kind of like the team he had at Souths when winning the comp…

Re Tooves I love him but he since he coached us he has been at Bradford for a short spell and an assistant at Samoa

Due to circumstance I think the game may have passed him by

Hope they have a good psychologist for the players after Madge has played with their brains. I believe he has strange people techniques.

Freddy was 3 for 6… McGuire would have killed for 50% win rate at his most recent appointment as head coach…

MM has done well with NZ but international league is really a 2 horse race… he may do well, I hope he does well but his WT days/departure worries me…

As you said, he has done well with NZ and that is bringing mutiple players from multiple clubs together for a short time to bring the best out of the team as a whole.

State of Origin is only a two horse race and of similar objectives.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8