Andrew johns talking to manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We've not won an origin series since johns departed from the game the bloke was a genius.Give him the position immediately he can repay us back for 97 if we can be premiers next year.

We have gone from having the best strength and conditioning to having one of the best----not that there is anything wrong with that as eventually all teams catch up.

Surprised you don't see the players that need to either lose weight or tone up and it's been a factor for many years including 2011.

In general we need to sharpen up have better attacking structures and better endurance levels combined with some explosive go forward. You could see Tooves was trying to speed up our play and get more direct fast play around the play the ball, also was not willing to accept the type of weight Rose has been carrying around to set an example for others.

G.Rose return was more in response to our forwards not bending the defence line enough and i don't think Tooves really wanted to bring him back into the squad but he had no choice.

I think in 2013 you will see Tooves try and address these issues after a year under his belt if not 2013 will be a long long year.

Technical Coach said:
We have gone from having the best strength and conditioning to having one of the best----not that there is anything wrong with that as eventually all teams catch up.

Surprised you don't see the players that need to either lose weight or tone up and it's been a factor for many years including 2011.

In general we need to sharpen up have better attacking structures and better endurance levels combined with some explosive go forward. You could see Tooves was trying to speed up our play and get more direct fast play around the play the ball, also was not willing to accept the type of weight Rose has been carrying around to set an example for others.

G.Rose return was more in response to our forwards not bending the defence line enough and i don't think Tooves really wanted to bring him back into the squad but he had no choice.

I think in 2013 you will see Tooves try and address these issues after a year under his belt if not 2013 will be a long long year.

I agree with B , Rose was not in the 17 due to not being where he should have size/fitness wise. The big guy is always going to bend the line regardless of his frame, thats not why he was reinstated, maybe it was. The discipline was the issue for his absence imo.
I cant see all these players who need to tone up......?? Lussick, Buhrer, Watmough, Kite, Ballin are lean as fowards can be. The backs....not to many Jamal Idris out there either??
Also believe you are basing the weight problem for years including 2011 on results, yet all recent years have been competitive if not won.
The problem has been OFF field issues , injuries & heirarchy issues that are now a broken record.
The 2nd half debacles were not fitness imo but bad habits that were consistently cloned in 2011 that yes - need addressing.
Why do I think its not fitness related - the attitude was different from 2nd half kickoff, not a dropoff after 60 minutes that would indicate fitness. Also in a few tight games against NZ & a young fit Broncos team we ran them down in the dying stages, competing for 80 minutes in high octane games.
Back to Johns - brilliant reader of the game - Knows who to target & how. Would love to see him at HT talking to Foz & DCE after anylising the opening 40. Tooves is the motivator, Johns the oracle - perfect combination.

In todays SMH

"Meanwhile, former Eels coach Brad Arthur has firmed as the favourite to replace Matt Parish as assistant coach at Manly. Andrew Johns will continue to work with the Sea Eagles in some capacity but not as a full-time assistant to Geoff Toovey."

"Last year's premiers are under salary cap pressure and will need to offload at least one player. There has been widespread speculation that Brent Kite could move on, particularly after Wests Tigers expressed interest. However, the former NSW and Australian prop is now likely to stay put. ''There's a 99.9 per cent chance he will stay,'' said Kite's manager Daryl Mather."

Technical Coach said:
Stevo said:
Technical Coach said:
Slow news day i doubt if it's for the Assistant Coaching role, probably just an increased presence or exclusivity agreement.

Might also be a case of increasing his workload during the off season to help put in place better attacking structures. Good to see Tooves is addressing our major issue that flows into our defence not the other way around.

Also tightening up our mid sections with muscle not fat and a 2-3% weight reduction per player(well most) to increase our sharpness.

Muscle weighs more than fat so the above in some ways sounds contradictory but you can get a better balance in some players----to be honest with some players it's more about dropping a waist size than actual playing weight.

Stick to technical subjects mate because your fitness trainer knowledge is s**t. Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat.

Obviously your not a fitness trainer or a worthy one as any half decent fitness trainer(or individual into fitness) would know the angle i was taking in regards to my comment and i would not need to elaborate.

Obviously, you're not a spelling trainer or have any idea about density.

I'll teach you.

If you have a kilo of muscle and a kilo of fat they will weigh the same, yes?

Because the muscle is very dense, if you were to completely fill up a 1 metre square cube and try to compress it, compression would be minimal if at all.

Because the fat is much less dense, if you were to place the same amount of fat it in the same cube and compress it, it would compress a fair bit allowing you to fit more in.

In simple terms, if you configure fat so that its density is equal to muscle, the weight difference is minimal.

Thank you.

wombatgc said:
Poor 'ol Stevo, TC will fillett him by the time this thread is done! :p

Not on this subject mate.

Stevo said:

I'll teach you.

Because the muscle is very dense, if you were to completely fill up a 1 metre square cube and try to compress it, compression would be minimal if at all.

Because the fat is much less dense, if you were to place the same amount of fat it in the same cube and compress it, it would compress a fair bit allowing you to fit more in.

In simple terms, if you configure fat so that its density is equal to muscle, the weight difference is minimal.

Thank you.

Someone spent his time in science classrooms sleeping it appears.

Stevo said:
Technical Coach said:
Stevo said:
Technical Coach said:
Slow news day i doubt if it's for the Assistant Coaching role, probably just an increased presence or exclusivity agreement.

Might also be a case of increasing his workload during the off season to help put in place better attacking structures. Good to see Tooves is addressing our major issue that flows into our defence not the other way around.

Also tightening up our mid sections with muscle not fat and a 2-3% weight reduction per player(well most) to increase our sharpness.

Muscle weighs more than fat so the above in some ways sounds contradictory but you can get a better balance in some players----to be honest with some players it's more about dropping a waist size than actual playing weight.

Stick to technical subjects mate because your fitness trainer knowledge is s**t. Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat.

Obviously your not a fitness trainer or a worthy one as any half decent fitness trainer(or individual into fitness) would know the angle i was taking in regards to my comment and i would not need to elaborate.

I'll teach you.

Thank you.

wombatgc said:

Time to cut your losses Stevo, In the context of this discussion you are just plain wrong on this one.

Stevo said:
Technical Coach said:
Stevo said:
Technical Coach said:

Thank you.

wombatgc said:

Come on man hahahahahaha!!

So what you're saying is you compress more fat into your cube to match the weight of the muscle therefore needing more fat to muscle ratio to get the equal weight.

1kg feathers

1kg steel.

Plenty feathers, not much steel. Same principal.

Any human with half a brain would understand what i was on about without having to elaborate in detail the meaning of the statement of "muscle weighs more than fat"

The statement is used in overly simplistic terms to describe why "some" people drop a waist size and not lose weight. Muscle will take up less space than fat in the human body at the same weight due to it's density.

What your doing is applying science to justify your own point of view that has no relevance to the original post, you might be correct in some respects but that is not the point i was stressing in my post.

Some people....

Napper said:
Stevo said:
Technical Coach said:
Stevo said:
Technical Coach said:

Thank you.

wombatgc said:

Come on man hahahahahaha!!

So what you're saying is you compress more fat into your cube to match the weight of the muscle therefore needing more fat to muscle ratio to get the equal weight.

1kg feathers

1kg steel.

Plenty feathers, not much steel. Same principal.

If I was the exact same dimensions only muscular I'd move the scales over 100 instead of 95

Technical Coach said:
Any human with half a brain would understand what i was on about without having to elaborate in detail the meaning of the statement of "muscle weighs more than fat"

The statement is used in overly simplistic terms to describe why "some" people drop a waist size and not lose weight. Muscle will take up less space than fat in the human body at the same weight due to it's density.

What your doing is applying science to justify your own point of view that has no relevance to the original post, you might be correct in some respects but that is not the point i was stressing in my post.

Some people....

It is not using science. Weight is determined by the pull of gravity and by its density. It is logical to calculate the difference between any two items by taking objects of the same size or mass and determining their density. Therefore muscle weighs more than fat.

Density = mass divided by volume, yes?

Does the volume of a liquid change when a liquid is compressed? Yes.

Therefore does not the density also change?

The point is the area taken up in it's current form is all that matters not some outside influence.

Muscle relative to fat takes up less space in the human body why stretch the discussion any further.(at the same weight obviously)

Ralphie said:
Stevo said:
Technical Coach said:
Stevo said:
Technical Coach said:

I'll teach you.

Thank you.

wombatgc said:

Time to cut your losses Stevo, In the context of this discussion you are just plain wrong on this one.

My Bachelor of applied science (exercise and sport science) BAppSc (Ex&SpSc) tells me i'm right.

Technical Coach said:

Some people....

My point may have no relevance to the original post but i'm still right. Sorry for the hijack. :D

ManlyBacker said:
Technical Coach said:

Some people....

It is not using science. Weight is determined by the pull of gravity and by its density. It is logical to calculate the difference between any two items by taking objects of the same size or mass and determining their density. Therefore muscle weighs more than fat.

Yes, weight is the amount of force gravity has on an object. But the Weight of a fluid stays the same when when the mass is reduced by compression.

Technical Coach said:
The point is the area taken up in it's current form is all that matters not some outside influence.

Muscle relative to fat takes up less space in the human body why stretch the discussion any further.(at the same weight obviously)

I get your point and i know what you are saying. I'm just in an arguementative mood.

As a fitness professional "muscle weighs more than fat" is one of my pet hates.

The "muscle weighs more than fat" comment should only annoy those that take the comment too literally, yes overly simplistic and up for debate if your in a troll mood.

Not trolling. Just arguing a point.

TerryRandall said:
Lets call it an honourable draw. Anyhoo, and back on topic, what are people's opinions of Brad Arthur?

Brad Arthur seems to be liked in many cirlcles. Coaching ability wise many people seem to speak highly of him. I don't think he would be a bad aquisition going on what i know about him. There may be better candidates though.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • Dan
    Kim Jong Dan
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8