Annesley's weakly "Why this happened" report - 2022

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Annesley spoke at length last week against coaches and the media perpetuating the misconception that refs favour teams in the 50/50 calls.
Saying that refs don't take into consideration which team is playing.

Yet last week and this week (at least) we have 'totally innocent' favourable calls going the way of..... the roosters.

I'm not sure how many times Annesley thinks the refs can make mistakes in the roosters favour before he realises it's not all above board.

Again I wish a journo asked Annesley about his claim that mistakes are made by the bunker due to the quickness required of decisions - then why didn't they sin bin the roosters winger when they were happy to take 4 mins before Haumole got binned.
Haumole's tackle was more hidden whereas the clothesline was as plain as day.

I see one ref out of the farce got dropped to the bunker...which simply means he'll be in comfort when making mistakes for the rorters as opposed to running around on the field.

Is that getting dropped? But it seems the bunker is a higher authority than the on-field ref, so maybe it should be the other way round.

True, and I dunno.

Maybe they think that the bunker does less so can only screw up the ...real big decisions and not have to be on the field yelling "jake! jake! jake!" every few mins.

Time to rethink the entire referee role methinks.
1 sack anyone related to the refs boss
2 offer huge money for refs to attract actual quality people who have 20/20 vision, can keep up with play, know the rules, and command respect
3 enforce respect. None of this calling players by first name BS. Any agressive challenge and disrespectful screaming at a ref is automatic penalty/marched 10m/then bin
4 if a captain wants to challenge then only the captain can speak to the ref
5 annesley earn his money by operating the bunker for every game. How hard can it be?

MG said on MMM today that both Gee String and Klink should be dropped for this week but both are working this weekend.

Klink is the ref for Broncos v Sharks and Gee String in the bunker for Dogs v Rorters, what a farce.

Uncle Nick will be ecstatic as no chance any of his side will get binned as everything will seen as ""It's not as bad as it looks".

The pool of refs in contention for NRL games is woefuly inadequate.
They make a howler yet get another go anyway because there are no refs deemed suitable to be promoted. So no-one gets dropped!
The talent pool is too shallow. They need to have 5 'Koula refs' snapping at the heels of every 'Harper ref'.
The NRL needs to take some drastic action to entice a larger number of aspiring refs, bump up the pay dramaticaly to attract more quality, and at least give themselves the option of making the refs accountable for their blunders.

The pool of refs in contention for NRL games is woefuly inadequate.
They make a howler yet get another go anyway because there are no refs deemed suitable to be promoted. So no-one gets dropped!
The talent pool is too shallow. They need to have 5 'Koula refs' snapping at the heels of every 'Harper ref'.
The NRL needs to take some drastic action to entice a larger number of aspiring refs, bump up the pay dramaticaly to attract more quality, and at least give themselves the option of making the refs accountable for their blunders.
Nrl went $$$$$ conservative during covid, but its fair to say long term its been a poor investment into its business. The lack of accountability confirms as always they are the last to know

The NRL has long dined out on the rhetoric that losers always whine

Im yet to see a CEO that understands that the product they sell is not footy but hope. The people who pay need to have hope and so much of what the NRL does steals hope before kick off

You just have to look at the oku decision v toopoo.
ref appointments on Tuesday

In reality its the key to the movement gaining ground of malcontent amongst fans.

In this weeks (weaks) edition of soul crushing bewilderment; for those who expected anything other than Lawton was the right call as was wighton's then don't read on.

Starting off:

Annesley gave us all a long winded explanation about hip drops as we're all sausage roll eating morons. We were 'treated' to 4 examples. 3 hip drops and 1 not.

You would think with all the finger pointing at the Roosters being favoured over the last couple of weeks that Annesley wouldn't use a roosters example as a hip drop that wasn't.
But nope, example number 4 was JWH injuring a dragons player but it wasn't a hip drop. (Even if correct, which I think it was...read the room annesley!)

Annesley then said - sometimes even if a player is injured, if the intention wasn't there then accidents happen. (Keep this quote in mind re: Lawton).

Dogs v rorters:
We were then shown the incident where a knock on was missed, and the next play Tedesco scored.
Annesley puffed out his chest and said the bunker doesn't go back to plays other than the immediate one leading to tries. So yes, the ref missed it, but that's the line in the sand.

He then inexplicably said that maybe the captain should have used a challenge seemingly to forget that a captain can't go back and challenge that play! And of course no journo's mentioned this. f..m..d.

Lawton - easy dec to make as only one in the tackle. Said everyone accepted there was no intention. But if you lift a player bad things happen. Keep in mind he'd just said there was no intention in the jwh injury causing tackle so you can't suspend jwh.

wighton - two in the tackle so blah blah blah.

Ok, fair enough but there was a time not long ago where the nrl said the opposite:

Lawton: tackle gone wrong so a couple of weeks
Wighton: You put your arm between the legs and lifted so we're throwing the book at you. 4-5 weeks.

So I'm (manly) not sure (manly) when that (manly) thought process(manly) changed.

thank goodness...that was all.

If they are legit about it being about putting the tackled player in a dangerous position, why does it matter how many players made the tackle, the outcome is the same. By that theory both Raiders players should have been sent off yet they got no on-field punishment and kept their full numbers on the field with no disadvantage for that game. Both in the sin bin would have been acceptable too. NRL is a farce especially when Manly is involved.

I say take away all these nanny rules about player protection etc, you play RL knowing what your in for and the risks involved or you can choose to take a different career path. This has turned into something far from the game I grew up with. The sport has morphed into something unrecognisable now, they might as well just kill the sport off if what they played for the past 100 years is no longer acceptable.

In this weeks (weaks) edition of soul crushing bewilderment; for those who expected anything other than Lawton was the right call as was wighton's then don't read on.

Starting off:

Annesley gave us all a long winded explanation about hip drops as we're all sausage roll eating morons. We were 'treated' to 4 examples. 3 hip drops and 1 not.

You would think with all the finger pointing at the Roosters being favoured over the last couple of weeks that Annesley wouldn't use a roosters example as a hip drop that wasn't.
But nope, example number 4 was JWH injuring a dragons player but it wasn't a hip drop. (Even if correct, which I think it was...read the room annesley!)

Annesley then said - sometimes even if a player is injured, if the intention wasn't there then accidents happen. (Keep this quote in mind re: Lawton).
It's laughable. How can they know the players intention? Only a moron would make such a statement. How did we end up with clowns like this running the game?

We also have "journos" who are employed by the NRL continually spinning the company line that everything is even and there is no bias or manipulation of matches. They can't be critical of the NRL or else they'd lose their job.
I dare say that some of these so-called scribes also get a secondary income from the myriad of gambling companies.
One day an independent investigative journalist will uncover the biggest story of all by finding corruption of officials in our sport. We are naive to think that with all the betting on RL that it is squeaky clean.

Starting

Dogs v rorters:
We were then shown the incident where a knock on was missed, and the next play Tedesco scored.
Annesley puffed out his chest and said the bunker doesn't go back to plays other than the immediate one leading to tries. So yes, the ref missed it, but that's the line in the sand.

He then inexplicably said that maybe the captain should have used a challenge seemingly to forget that a captain can't go back and challenge that play! And of course no journo's mentioned this. f..m..d.

Lawton - easy dec to make as only one in the tackle. Said everyone accepted there was no intention. But if you lift a player bad things happen. Keep in mind he'd just said there was no intention in the jwh injury causing tackle so you can't suspend jwh.

Ok, fair enough but there was a time not long ago where the nrl said the opposite:

Lawton: tackle gone wrong so a couple of weeks
Wighton: You put your arm between the legs and lifted so we're throwing the book at you. 4-5 weeks.

So I'm (manly) not sure (manly) when that (manly) thought process(manly) changed.

thank goodness...that was all.
Hey GE, I’m quite partial to a good sausage roll, my Auntie’s were something really special, but I’ll cop the moron tag.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8