Ashes Tour

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
What a match that was, huge game from Anderson taking 10 wickets

The hot spot there was confusing because there was already a mark there but the one from the ball hitting the bat was a couple of inches below that and nearly on the back of the bat.

If the series goes like this the whole way through we are in for a big win

voicefromthehill said:
So now it looks likely if we lose it is going to be the difference between when Broad was not given out and his final score - cant say I'm thrilled by that

Yeah thinking the same thing. Wont be happy if that happens.

Like our beloved rugby league, cricket is not immune to poor officiating.

Haddin knew he hit it, you could tell by how quickly he looked around. We were just unlucky the poms still had a review left.

Tough way to lose but poms were better side. Our top 6 need to stand up next test.

Congrats to team DRS 1 who just beat team DRS 2 in a scintillating 5 days of technology controlled cricket.

As pitch doctoring, ball in rough skipping and no sportsmanship are now the norm both teams shall introduce drones and other robotic devices for game two.

Performance information shall be entered into computers and extrapolated results posted onto a big electronic scoreboard at the ground.

Of course the human element is still required. They will remain as umpires to repeatedly get decisions incorrect so as to benefit the drs team with the prettiest drones.

Viewing humans with memories long enough to remember the actual game of cricket can occasionally find replays of match highlights from previous decades as long as ratings v chips aren't activated.

Beep.

voicefromthehill said:
Our top 6 need to score 15 more runs!

Now I know what it's like to be a Parramatta supporter

What are you talking about buddy
1st 163 including 2 half centuries
2nd 152 including 1 half century

Nothing crow home about but in the context of the match and the fact several of England's top order struggled aswell

CAMBO said:
voicefromthehill said:
Our top 6 need to score 15 more runs!

Now I know what it's like to be a Parramatta supporter

What are you talking about buddy
1st 163 including 2 half centuries
2nd 152 including 1 half century

Nothing crow home about but in the context of the match and the fact several of England's top order struggled aswell

Late night emotion - that and the fact we have lost our last 5 test matches

No way were England the better team, the teams were extremely even. As KE said it looks like we are in for a great 10 ashes matches over the next 8 months or so. Its a real shame that such a clanger ended up winning the game for England. Hopefully Dar is dropped for it.

Our bowlers have shown already that they can manage the swing over in England as well as the poms unlike the last few series over there so it comes down to the batsman. Our form batter (Clarke) gave us nothing as the highest rated test batsman playing then we certainly can expect more from our top 6.

Cowan looks like he has no idea any more and anyone (even Agar) should take his place. When he first cracked the side he had the best leave in the team now its the worst. Send him back to state cricket ASAP. Warner may not go to Africa given how bad Cowan looked.

Fluffy we were only competitive in this test on the back of two substantial 10th wicket partnerships. If that doesn't indicate we were outplayed, I don't know what does. We got lucky to be that close, lets be honest. Great exciting finish, but I think Poms were the better side.

I never doubted the ability of our fast bowlers, they aren't the problem. They showed they can get breakthroughs and get the ball going reverse as well as Anderson. Maybe they lacked a bit of control at times but still they held their end of the bargain up. Spinning stocks are still an unknown, Agar looked OK, but he is obviously inexperienced and hasn't fully developed his craft. Swann didn't bowl that well in this Test, but the Poms have the upper hand in this department, even if Lyon plays.

Our batting is where the problem lays. It's the scratchiest looking Aussie top 6 I've seen for a while. Clarke is the only Aussie bat in the top 30 of the ICC rankings ........top 30 !!! Been a long time since that was the case. Unless we can start racking up first innings scores of 350+ then we are going to be behind the 8 ball. Poms have Cook, Trott, KP, Bell, and Prior all in the top 20 of the ICC rankings. They have a big edge over us in the batting department.

Having said that I don't think they will make any changes for the Lords test. Maybe Lyon in for Agar, but that depends on whether they perceive that the KP "weakness" against left arm spinners is worth putting all our eggs in that basket. I can't see them dropping any of the bats, Warner is lacking match practice and Usman is on the outer, otherwise he would have obviously been picked ahead of Smith who is playing as a batsman only.

Given that Watson has developed another niggle, he will probably not bowl at Lords. So maybe, just maybe they might think they need to go with another bowler. That'd be a brave call giving the fragility of our batting anyway.

I think we will take a lot of confidence from that loss, to get that close when we didn't deserve too will be a boost. Cowan has got to realise that he is on his last legs so hopefully he will produce something, otherwise bring in Warner. Looking forward to Lords test, hopefully it will be as equally as exciting.

I thought they were going to dismiss the last DRS on hotspot as it wasn't clear to me but I cringed when snicko was heard.

Really enjoyable test and from our point of view only for both 10th wicket partnerships. Really tired today after 4 hrs sleep Sunday morning and then last night. As said elsewhere the first 6 need to knuckle down for a fight and long-haul and we are not seeing it. Anderson is firing so I'm not sure how much of a defense they can put up.

It is not often you see so many exciting things in one game and that will live in the memory for a long time. Bring on Lords.

My team for Lords
Watson
Rogers
Usman
Clarke
Hughes
Smith
Haddin
Agar
Pattinson
Siddle
Starc

As whole we bowled well but starc and Patto can be wayward I'm sure Harris and bird aren't far off

I don't think you could swap Warner for Cowan because I can't see Warner st 3 because you could easily be 2 for.
So that would mean moving Hughes to 3 when in the 1st innings he looked solid at 5.
Also having Warner at 5 and smith at 6 woukd be risky I feel it's either smith or Warner not both.

A few ifs and buts about that test

What if Warner hadn't been a bad little boy? Or even what if Kattich had never hurt Clarke's feelings?

Both are better options than that other old bloke playing his second test,sure he had a good second innings but seriously,35 playing your second test? Where did we pull him from? The city morgue? NEXT!!!!

What if we never fluked those 2 DRS wickets? Both were iffy at best

What if line was umpires call on DRS? as ABC commentators said just hitting the stumps goes back to umpires call but just hitting the line is actually hitting the line and able to overturn an umpires decision,seriously ICC,What the ****??

What if Broad had been given out early or walked like a man? he should have walked it went to slip ffs,no like sportsmanship England?

What if we didn't carry that deadweight Cowan? He is a medicore player at best and he should still be playing Aussie County cricket! who the **** selected him? I'd be angry if he was selected to play for Penrith in grade cricket,he can't bat and he can't catch

What if Sunshine didn't hog a review for his wicket? LBW again Watson? ffs

What if benefit of the doubt was afforded to Hadden?

Sure,Hadden isn't the worlds best batsman,or keeper or even human being but with BoD would he and Pattinson have prevailed? I won't tell you he was out and i won't tell you he didn't hit it,what i will say is there was enough doubt in my mind for me to give it to the batsman as IT SHOULD BE! I have never seen a game with so many twists and turns

Can the Aussies turn it around? i say YES

Firstly drop Cowan,Marcus North was better

Pick Uzi,why? He is young and has all the technique in the world,he should have been perservered with because he WILL be a star,give it time

Drop Starc,he isn't as good as a few others but still a top little bowler
but ultimately he doesn't bring much in the way of wickets,he needs more training

Bring in Notch Johnson,yes i know he as a rule is terrible but with the dukes he'll get swing and bring back the chance of actually hurting the English! he bowls a heavy ball capable of hurting any batsman and i don't mind the idea of a few broken bones for Cook,the south African Englishmen and Broad

Rotate Ashton out for Lyon,dont want the kid getting injured this early in his test career

KIDDING! Gotcha!!! don't even dare rotating anyone ever again,dumb system was mentally retarded and capable of only counting to potato

David Hussey should really be there as the number 1 spinner and to bat in the top 6

I think England will punt Finn and bring in Bresnan which will strengthen them all round probably

I'm probably with chip that England were the better all round side, amazing effort to get as close as you did in the end, but not sure that should paper over any cracks either, you wont score 590 in a game and have 230ish of them coming from the 10th wicket again, need a few big scores from the batsman.

Rogers should have been there ages ago, unlucky he wasn't quick enough to get into the Ponting clique.

Not sure how much of the 2nd test I will end up seeing but hopefully see a reasonable amount of it in some Sydney pubs this weekend

I just want to clarify one thing that has really been pissing me off these last few days, from nuffies that obviously have no idea. So many tweets and social media comments from morons with nothing better to do then to give an opinion on something they have no idea about

Broad DID NOT nick the ball to first slip. He nicked it into Haddin's gloves and it then ricocheted to Clarke at slip. All those taking some sort of moral high ground about Broad needing to walk because it went to slip instead of the keeper, give yourself an uppercut. I'm sure if it was a clean nick to slip then Broad would have walked or if he didn't then Dar would have given him. I have no problem with Broad not walking, no Aussie bat walks for caught behinds. Not even Gilly used to walk until he made himself into some sort of martyr with a bat pad chance in a world cup semi against Sri Lanka. He then made a rod for his own back and felt obliged to be the torch bearer for "walkers" the world over from that point on. Go to any park cricket game of a weekend and see how many blokes walk. Less than 5% in my experience.

As for DRS and amount of the ball hitting stumps and the amount of ball pitching in line. The reason the have the margin for error on the LBW with the ball contacting the stumps is that the path of the ball after it hits the pad IS AN APPROXIMATION ONLY based on the available technology. The location that the ball pitches can be tracked far more accurately because it is the actual path the ball takes and it can be recorded. It doesn't need to be approximated. I like the current set up of the rule, in that you have to have at least half the ball hitting the stumps or it completely missing them to overturn the umpires on field call.

Chip and Chase said:
I just want to clarify one thing that has really been pissing me off these last few days, from nuffies that obviously have no idea. So many tweets and social media comments from morons with nothing better to do then to give an opinion on something they have no idea about

Broad DID NOT nick the ball to first slip. He nicked it into Haddin's gloves and it then ricocheted to Clarke at slip. All those taking some sort of moral high ground about Broad needing to walk because it went to slip instead of the keeper, give yourself an uppercut. I'm sure if it was a clean nick to slip then Broad would have walked or if he didn't then Dar would have given him. I have no problem with Broad not walking, no Aussie bat walks for caught behinds. Not even Gilly used to walk until he made himself into some sort of martyr with a bat pad chance in a world cup semi against Sri Lanka. He then made a rod for his own back and felt obliged to be the torch bearer for "walkers" the world over from that point on. Go to any park cricket game of a weekend and see how many blokes walk. Less than 5% in my experience.

As for DRS and amount of the ball hitting stumps and the amount of ball pitching in line. The reason the have the margin for error on the LBW with the ball contacting the stumps is that the path of the ball after it hits the pad IS AN APPROXIMATION ONLY based on the available technology. The location that the ball pitches can be tracked far more accurately because it is the actual path the ball takes and it can be recorded. It doesn't need to be approximated. I like the current set up of the rule, in that you have to have at least half the ball hitting the stumps or it completely missing them to overturn the umpires on field call.
Something that's irking me with DRS is an LBW call will only be overturned if the ball is completey hitting or completely missing the stump but a caught call will be changed for the slightest of feathers. I'm still not convinced haddin hit that ball the hot spot seemed to show up before the ball went passed the bat thus indicating bat flicking pad.

DRS is a good thing but the need to tweak the bugs in it and make it it mandatory none of this India Not using it bs.

They can only work with the technology that they have available. You've got to remember that with LBW's they are only approximating the path of the ball from the point it contacts the pad. I'm happy if there is a allowance for error there. With hotspot if there's s mark there than you have to assume they hit it. You can't say that an edge has to deviate by a certain amount before it can be ruled upon by DRS, that's just not feasible. The Haddin one was tight, but I think they got it right. Haddins reaction and snicko confirmed that for me.

I'm not a massive fan of DRS, it has probably brought up more problems than it has solved. There's nothing wrong with playing a series without it, works for India. At least that way it's a level playing field and both sides are relying on the umpires

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8