Best Ever Manly juniors ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Non-Juniors:
Graham Eadie, Ken Irvine, Jamie Lyon (vc), Michael O'Connor, Brett Stewart, Bob Fulton (c), Cliff Lyons, Brent Kite, Matt Ballin, John O'Neill, Glenn Stewart, Paul Vautin, Mal Reilly. Res - Kevin Ward, Dale Shearer, Noel Cleal, Nik Kosef
I would definitely include Ian Roberts and Phil Lowe in the starting team and consider Steve Norton or Ben Kennedy for the bench

The battle of the forwards would be epic, but the non junior backs would triumph.
That's a great backline.

And the players I considered but left out could form their own non-juniors side.....

Ron Willey, Michael Robertson, Ray Branighan, Steve Matai, Kerry Boustead, Wally O'Connell, Daly Cherry-Evans, Bill Hamilton, Mal Cochrane, Ian Roberts, Ben Kennedy, Nik Kosef, Des Hasler. Res - Kieran Foran, Ron Gibbs, Phil Lowe, Les Boyd.

And there are STILL more.

Mossop attended Christian Brothers Manly and played Union for Manly. Similarly, Stephen Knight attended Manly Boys High (I think) & played Union for Manly. Is he also technically not a Manly junior? Is it possible that either could have played League as well as Union in their youth?

Yes Knight was a Manly Boys High lad. He's on one of their honour boards. He was a couple of years ahead of myself, though I'm not on the honour board and I didn't reach his heights by a long shot. Unfortunately Manly Boys High only played Union so I guess this would have influenced him to start in that code.

I recall Terry Randall playing at prop often. He started at prop in the 1976 GF. Also later in his career. Are you just suggesting it wasn't his best position Bearfax?

OK I'll concede he played there EDT. Hate it when I get pie in my eye. Unless its Shepherds Pie...love that. But must be honest. However his main position was second row, though in his early years he played in the centre. I was just trying to ensure Bull wasn't down graded. Never saw him but what I've read suggests he as one of Manly's all time greats and should be the first prop chosen, whether local junior or not.

I actually knew Randall when we went to primary school, Brookvale Public. I think he went to Beacon Hill High, which is a Rugby League school, while Manly Boys High was a Union school, so I lost any chance of ongoing contact. He was noted for his speed as a kid, but obviously developed other qualities later in his adolescence

OK I'll concede he played there EDT. Hate it when I get pie in my eye. Unless its Shepherds Pie...love that. But must be honest. However his main position was second row, though in his early years he played in the centre. I was just trying to ensure Bull wasn't down graded. Never saw him but what I've read suggests he as one of Manly's all time greats and should be the first prop chosen, whether local junior or not.

I actually knew Randall when we went to primary school, Brookvale Public. I think he went to Beacon Hill High, which is a Rugby League school, while Manly Boys High was a Union school, so I lost any chance of ongoing contact. He was noted for his speed as a kid, but obviously developed other qualities later in his adolescence
I admit I also think of Randall more as a second rower. Well done on adding Roy Bull's name to the discussion Bearfax.

With the passage of time , it is easy not to recall previous but prominent local Manly juniors such as Phil Daley[ who has been briefly referred to once in this thread ] then even in addition, his father Doug , and certainly Ray Ritchie who like Phil Daley became internationals . Think that the main reason that Igor Randell initially played as a prop [ or occasionally ] was to accommodate the likes of Phill Lowe , Knocker Norton and Ian Martin in the back row in 76 . Same as in late 82 when Manly had the likes of Boyd , Paul Mc Cabe , Fatty Vautin and Bruce Walker vying for back row spots . Certainly played his best footy as a 2 nd rower though .

With the passage of time , it is easy not to recall previous but prominent local Manly juniors such as Phil Daley[ who has been briefly referred to once in this thread ] then even in addition, his father Doug , and certainly Ray Ritchie who like Phil Daley became internationals . Think that the main reason that Igor Randell initially played as a prop [ or occasionally ] was to accommodate the likes of Phill Lowe , Knocker Norton and Ian Martin in the back row in 76 . Same as in late 82 when Manly had the likes of Boyd , Paul Mc Cabe , Fatty Vautin and Bruce Walker vying for back row spots . Certainly played his best footy as a 2 nd rower though .

Igor actually played the 1976 Grand Final in the front row. The forwards that day were - John Harvey, Max Krilich, Terry Randall, Phil Lowe, Steve Norton, Ian Martin. He also played most of the 1973 GF at lock after Rocky Turner took out Mal Reilly in a deliberate act (Tommy Bishop later confirmed that they had targeted Mal as Manly's danger man, but they made a tactical error in forgetting about.....Bozo).

The original and best ever born and bred Manly Junior
images.jpg

Adam MacDougall played for harbord diggers before moving to Cronulla Caringbah where his brothers played.

Yakich came from Qld I think.

Adam grew up in Cronulla and played junior footy there. I was good mates with him in high school. Went to school at De La Salle Caringbah and Cronulla. De La Salle was the local school that brought through a lot of Cronulla players, ET being the most famous

Adam grew up in Cronulla and played junior footy there. I was good mates with him in high school. Went to school at De La Salle Caringbah and Cronulla. De La Salle was the local school that brought through a lot of Cronulla players, ET being the most famous

Were you the 1 who knocked out Adams tooth at high school in a basketball game .... he went to a party and tried using chewing gum as a cap.
You would have known Adam Ritson who was a couple grades up at De La also at that time.

The Moose definitely attended Manly Boys High - I played against him in a school v. Old Boys match at Manly Oval. And yes, it was only Rugby Union played at that school.

The Yakich brothers (Nick & Fred) were originally from the Canterbury club and maybe NSW country before that.

Roy Bull was the best "old style" unlimited tackle prop forward produced by Manly. I remember him taking the ball up every 2nd tackle, in a very wet and muddy game at the SCG. 80 yards later he scored.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8