Best pommie imports

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Cheers @bones

I thought we'd played there...more than once, too.

And I admit...if the Burgess bros were in maroon and white, we'd all love em a lot.

HappilyManly said:
That makes my hiatus seem even longer :cool:

Isn't a hiatus what hippies go to Byron for?

Just as well we don't wait that long to play in grand finals.

I smell another one on the way, and if it's against the Dogs, their Pommie Graham will be waiting.

What's the verdict on big James...?

Apart from being a dog that bites, of course.

Graham seems to be carrying the Dogs pack.
I didnt realize that Pritchard was out for the Season, so JG should be exhausted by year end :sleepy:

It will be interesting to see if Tex will drop his form now that SOO selection period is over :dodgy:

Yeah Pritchard gets forgotten in their mix, but he is quite a loss for them.

Again I'll confess that if Graham was an Eagle I wouldn't mind. But he's not and wearing the blue and white colours him bad.

If they get any more injuries they could struggle (esp with Morris out too).

Graham resigned for 4 more years there, so we'd better get used to his lily-white legs !

Brissie Kid said:
Craig Innes was a kiwi but i think he had been playing league for Leeds for a few years when Manly got him.

Ah, of course!!! Thanks for the correction. But he was at the Western Reds during his UK off-season, before his Manly stint.

Which gets me thinking, is there merit is revisiting the return of the UK Super League to their Winter, opening up opportunities for more of their best to play here in the off seasons, and vice versa? It doesn't seem a coincidence that their depth dropped off remarkably once their early-90s stars moved on.

Craig Innes signed with Leeds in 1992 and played with them until 1996 when he joined us. However while still with Leeds he did play 10 games for the Western Reds in 1995. He left Manly after 1997 and went back to yawnion to play for the Auckland Blues before retiring in 2000. He played 50 games for Manly, scoring 25 tries and kicking 6/11 goals (including one of each in the 1996 GF).

This guy may not get the headlines like other current Pommie imports such as the Burgess' and James Graham, but one player I don't think is going too bad is Donkeys centre Jack Reed. Interestingly though, despite being born in England (Silsden in West Yorkshire) he never played senior football there. His family moved to Brisbane when he was a kid and he came into the NRL via the Qld Cup where he played with South Logan Magpies (under contract to Canberra) and the Norths Devils when he signed with the Donkeys. With Hodges and Tate nearing the end and Inglis odds-on to move to FB when Slater retires, it wouldn't surprise me (if it hasn't already happened) if Reed was approached by Mal Meninga at some point to switch allegiances from England to Qld.

One of the best Poms I have seen in my time who played out here was Gary Connolly. If we were going for an import back in 1993 I'd have chased his signature over John Deveraux's any time. Although I think Connolly's best position was FB and we had that covered with Matthew Ridge and Ivan Cleary, he was just as good in the centres and we needed quality centres back then after Snoz's retirement at the end of 1992 (Danny Moore, Chris Ryan and Jamie Olejnik were ok, but still young and it wouldn't be until 1994 that we got Terry Hill). I just think Connolly would have been a much better buy for us than Deveraux. We all saw how good he went when he played for the Scumdogs that year.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7