Betting Story / Scandal

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
silvertail said:
Wonder if NRL care to look into where the leak came from.

Surely it is time for another investigation into Greenberg. It's been months since the last one.

Manly Sea Eagles star David Williams to be banned over bets, more suspensions to come

PHIL ROTHFIELD AND JOSH MASSOUD
The Daily Telegraph
July 10, 2014 12:00AM

THE look on the face of former Kangaroos winger David ‘Wolfman’ Williams says it all.

Williams is the first player coming to grips with being named and shamed in the NRL betting scandal — not that he was betting in big amounts or involved in match-fixing.

Under the NRL’s strict gambling guidelines, no player, official, coach or agent can bet on rugby league.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/manly-sea-eagles-star-david-williams-to-be-banned-over-bets-more-suspensions-to-come/story-fni3gnk1-1226983476755?nk=1476d690174e4c33092d35815ef33f8f

After The Daily Telegraph named the Manly glamour winger as the first player charged, it can also be revealed a second Manly player — back-rower Daniel Harrison — has been contacted by the NRL about illicit betting, albeit to a far lesser degree than his teammate.

The NRL is pushing for Williams to be banned for the rest of 2014 after learning ‘The Wolfman’ made dozens of bets featuring rugby league options over a three-year period.

Williams received a breach notice last Tuesday advising that the NRL intended to stand him down for the remainder of this year. The breach notice also detailed every bet — both multis and stand alone — that breached the game’s code of conduct.

Williams has responded to the breach notice, claiming the proposed penalty is too harsh.

It’s understood there were up to 30 bets made from Williams’ Sportingbet account. They extend as far back as 2011, but tapered off last year. The bets also include wagers in matches involving his own team, which encouraged the NRL to hit him with such a heavy penalty. It’s understood he never backed the opposition to defeat Manly.

It’s also understood a player from Melbourne Storm, who joined the club at the beginning of the season, is facing a fine.

Harrison has only made a limited number of bets, none of which concerned a team he was contracted to.

Harrison played for Manly in 2011 and 2012, but spent last season at Parramatta before returning this year. It’s understood he’s likely to escape a ban or fine, with the NRL believing that a warning will suffice. Both players are currently in NSW Cup.

Williams turned up at the team’s Narrabeen headquarters on Wednesday to train, business as usual, with the NSW Cup team.

Williams’ manager George Mimis said the Sea Eagles winger would not be commenting until the NRL had released its findings.

“This has all been done confidentially and we can’t say anything until everything has been finalised,” Mimis said.

The NRL is expected to hold a press conference before the end of this week to reveal the findings of the month-long integrity unit investigation.

The AFL is renowned for taking strong action in the past.

Former Collingwood and now GWS Giants player Heath Shaw was suspended for 14 matches, six of those suspended, and fined $20,000 in 2011 for his part in a $20 bet at a TAB agency.

His Collingwood captain at the time, Nick Maxwell, was fined $10,000 — half of which was suspended — after members of his family placed bets on a game after getting information on the Magpies’ team line-up.

In 2007, Kieran Jack — then a teenager rookie with the Sydney Swans — was reprimanded by the AFL over two bets totalling $10.

I don't think it's fair that Williams is the scape goat at this stage; they should release the other names at the same time. However, 30 bets over a three year period (including Manly games), tells me that he should be sacked from the Manly club. We don't need any association to Wolfman and his gambling habits.

Now we know why Gutherson played on Friday night.

Kinda explains why he has fallen behind Hiku, Gutherson and Blair doesn't it, though Hiku deserves his spot IMO. I dare say (unfortunately because he's generally been pretty good for us) we might well have seen the last of The Wolfman in first grade at Manly.

IF that's proven to be the case (and Wolfie was betting that often, including on Manly games) that's extraordinarily silly.

I've loved what he's done and been for Manly; but that can't be acceptable.

The rules are clear and we have to follow them, too.

Just as we'd all condemn other club's (players) if they were at it.

I want to see it all confirmed first, though.

Don't know where people get the idea that the NRL having corporate partnerships with betting agencies...Channel 9 have them advertise on TV...as does foxtel as does Radio....as does some individual teams, but I cant find where they take money from betting agencies under commercial arrangements....Can anyone clear this up???

Frogz said:
Don't know where people get the idea that the NRL having corporate partnerships with betting agencies...Channel 9 have them advertise on TV...as does foxtel as does Radio....as does some individual teams, but I cant find where they take money from betting agencies under commercial arrangements....Can anyone clear this up???
Where do you think Channel 9 and Fox get the money to pay to the NRL?

So far, Buzz has only manage to identify Manly Players. Yet goes into great detail about others' activities without naming them :huh: :mad:

The NRL stopped their direct relationship with betting Agencies last year.
But they still use ex Players and are prominent in every TV Show :dodgy:

That is a very good point HM and SER8.

The NRL are content to see the game (and us viewers) awash with Sportsbet, Tom Waterhouse, TAB and even bet365. They are part of every game, every footy show, on Nein and Fox, and emphasized time and time again as though it's all a legitimate and natural extension of the game now.

Both Fox and Nein obviously pay massively to the NRL to televise the game.

It's all a clear and unsavoury alliance.

But...as hypocritical as it all is, I guess the rules are clear; as far as players having a flutter goes.

The NRL can profit exponentially.

Not you players though...hell no!

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Frogz said:
Where do you think Channel 9 and Fox get the money to pay to the NRL?

That's fine but its not The NRL like everyone says...Its the TV companies...blame them....Fact of the matter is these idiots can still have abet...JUST NOT ON NRL...pretty simple, you would think.

Rumours floating around on twitter and on LU that wolfman isn't the player getting banned for 6 weeks, instead a high profile forward - "manly will be wishing it was wolfman, not this player".
Mind you the dolt on LU also claimed both Stewarts had signed for the Dogs in 2014 last year. Hope his form continues.

Probably Glenn Stewart. South's bad influences rubbing off on him already. I can't help feeling that somehow this is all Rusty Crowe's fault. :p

I can't believe how stupid some players must be. Even Benji Marshall has more brains than some of these guys. (and that's saying something) Benji was on the footy show a couple of years ago and admitted live that his Grandmother puts bets on the footy. Not him. Why the hell would you use your own account????

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8