Billy the Grub arrested

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Apparently the local who smacked Billy wasn't being held back by two of his team mates and he refused to throw any in retaliation.

Serious question: even if he is the victim, hasn't Billy brought the game into disrepute by placing himself in the situation in the first place? Isn't that where we're heading? By being punched in the head, he's tarnished the image of rugby league.

Ron E. Gibbs said:
Serious question: even if he is the victim, hasn't Billy brought the game into disrepute by placing himself in the situation in the first place? Isn't that where we're heading? By being punched in the head, he's tarnished the image of rugby league.

You are correct, going by the statement made by wolfman's magistrate. Apparently he shouldn't have gone out that night.

I'm glad this wasn't DCE. I'd be furious if some tool king hit him for simply trying to get his jacket.

As for Billy, imagine the stick he would be copping if he flogged some 40 year old idiot pom outside a nightclub. Good on him for not throwing any. Then again.....he probably had strong memories of the last time he tangled with a pom, and nearly had his ear bitten off.

Sure they were not out on the drink =...2.30 in the morning????:dodgy:
Ok forgive that factor but then move onto - different player - different headlines.
If this was not 1 of the NRL golden boys he would be held completely responsible for putting himself in the position for this stupid situation to take place.
By the end of this story Silly will come out as some hero for not retaliating & handling the situation with such great restrain, I think Benji Marshall got in more trouble for ordering a late night cheeseburger 2 years ago.
If it was Matai, Mason there would be a call for their heads on a plate, not a story of being the victim.

What about when Matai and Watmough got in that scrap with a bunch of Poli boys a while ago MK?? Who called for their heads to roll? Exactly how much trouble did Benji get into? How do we know they were drinking at the club? Just because it was 2am doesn't mean they were sloshed and looking for trouble. It was down time for the team and they were enjoying their time in England. Who wouldn't?

Maybe the guy that was robbed at the cash point when they first arrived in Manchester should be fined as well for embarrassing the NRL by not defending himself. Surely he could have out run or run down his mugger, and then delivered a sound beating. NRL players - Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

As a Manly fan my first instinct when a player gets into trouble is to compare what they did to what Brett Stewart did, which invariably leads to the conclusion that the player in trouble should have their club fined $100K / be suspended for 4 weeks and/or shot.

That's not really fair. What happened to Brett was an aberration and even though Gallop and the NRL never admitted it was a mistake - their subsequent actions have at least shown that they learnt from it.

As much as I dislike Billy Slater, if all he did was go out for a few beers and
defend himself against some moron who picked a fight with him I don't think he did anything wrong and I don't think he should be punished.

I just see a distinct bias towards certain players & Slater is in that brigade.
Its not just off field incidents but also on field jokes & ref interaction, made clear enough from the sidelines let alone on the paddock.
It carries over to this situation & I am certainly not debating for players to be under constant media scrutiny, in fact I find lots of this stuff ridiculous & players deserve a life like the rest of us.
My point is simply Slater is 1 of those players constantly being protected & if this was a player say - Fifita, the media would be far more aggressive imo.

Sure the NRL will always have their golden boys. I think any lack of aggression on behalf of the media is far more to do with the fact that he didn't do anything wrong. If he had king hit the pom, he would be all over the papers...and probably still got off with a slap on the wrist :p

Billy is just a little grub in a country crawling with larger grubs. I just wish they would stop sending their biggest grubs here and the NRL. That should have stopped 220 odd years ago.

Confession time. Which Silvertails poster arranged for their English mate to punch Billy?;)

"Pushes him near the face"?

You are borderline retarded... He punched him and you can see the mark in Slater's press conference the next day.

yourhero said:
"Pushes him near the face"?

You are borderline retarded... He punched him and you can see the mark in Slater's press conference the next day.
Slater was on Sky Sports and said that the mark on his face was from the game. Great advertisement for the NRL :D

So how come retaliating to a street punch is ok by the police and NRL, but if it happens during a NRL game the two players would be sin binned or sent-off?

I am no Slater fan but that is a nothing incident. The bloke deserved to be punched after doing that to Slater. You could see the guy get angry as he thought Slater pushed in but you can see Slater try and explain what he was doing only to be punched, although it was a pretty soft punch. Either way Slater had every right to punch him back.

Just looked at it.

Slater wasn't 'punched in the head' as the media are all claiming to protect their 'darling.'

At most it was a slap, and it was probably just a open hand push to the side of his head.

As per billy's reputation, the guy wasn't even looking at him when billy hit him back!

So, Billy wasn't punched in the head, it wasn't a massive punch back from Billy either.

Anyway, I dunno. No suspension worthy but the nrl should probably do a 'caution' just to show they're doing something.

Just read this article by Crawley from News, seems to be the only accurate piece about what happened..

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/video-cctv-footage-of-billy-slaters-act-of-selfdefence-following-nightclub-attack/story-e6frf3ou-1226758458688

''The grainy footage shows Slater is not punched by the 40-year-old as had been previously claimed.''

And this

"The first thing to remember here is the player is the victim," Australian team manager Gareth Holmes said.''

Hahhahaha

Garts said:
. . . Either way Slater had every right to punch him back.
I didn't see the film but ... for the benefit of any adolescent types reading, who may think behaviour they learn here or on the hill at Brookie has any relationship to standard community values ... be aware of the following:

Provocation is not a defence. It doesn't matter if you are assaulted first. Retaliation is against the law! (So get involved in fist fights by all means, but you do so at your own risk with respect to possible criminal charges.)

Exactly.
And Slater's missus, posting about her husband being 'king hit' and how she may have had to 'raise her children alone', she needs to just shut her mouth. She's obviously dribbling propaganda lies to try and deflect any shreds of wrong doing away from her cat of a husband. Theyre both as grubby and cat-like as each other

Having now seen the CTV footage Slater was right in smashing the little pommie grub. Good punch Billy, well done.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6