Billy the Grub arrested

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Garts said:
I am no Slater fan but that is a nothing incident. The bloke deserved to be punched after doing that to Slater. You could see the guy get angry as he thought Slater pushed in but you can see Slater try and explain what he was doing only to be punched, although it was a pretty soft punch. Either way Slater had every right to punch him back.

No question that there was provocation from the other bloke. However, it was a king hit from the grub and he was lucky that there was someone behind the other guy that caught him otherwise we may have seen another head smashed on the pavement.

If DCE was in Slaters position you would all be saying different. I dislike Slater as much as anyone but cmon.

That's laughable to claim that Slater was King Hit, and that he is some kind of victim in this episode. Sure there was some provocation, but in my opinion he over reacted.

Also anyone who watched the episode of Insight on SBS last night would think twice about applauding Slater's response.

I hate Slater and I wish so much that he was at fault, but the other little prick hit him first and got what he deserved.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Provocation is not a defence. It doesn't matter if you are assaulted first. Retaliation is against the law!
The 6-8 year olds I teach are beginning to understand this. Pity these great little humans also have to go through adolescence but I think people, at least some parts of society, are realising what the no consequences effect is having on young people.
I know that I'm diverting here but a significant element of 15-25 year olds are quite uncaring people who demonstrate no empathy or remorse. It's up to the grown-ups to turn this around for the next lot.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Garts said:
. . . Either way Slater had every right to punch him back.
I didn't see the film but ... for the benefit of any adolescent types reading, who may think behaviour they learn here or on the hill at Brookie has any relationship to standard community values ... be aware of the following:

Provocation is not a defence. It doesn't matter if you are assaulted first. Retaliation is against the law! (So get involved in fist fights by all means, but you do so at your own risk with respect to possible criminal charges.)

you have the legal right to defend yourself (as I hate to state BS did, as a slap to the head does constitute an assault) ..however if you continue to strike your attacker after he stops (again hate to admit it, as BS didn't) you can then be deemed to be assaulting your attacker.

The best thing to hit someone with will always be words. However some people can't grasp that concept.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Garts said:
. . . Either way Slater had every right to punch him back.
I didn't see the film but ... for the benefit of any adolescent types reading, who may think behaviour they learn here or on the hill at Brookie has any relationship to standard community values ... be aware of the following:

Provocation is not a defence. It doesn't matter if you are assaulted first. Retaliation is against the law! (So get involved in fist fights by all means, but you do so at your own risk with respect to possible criminal charges.)

Even with no provocation, a king hit that kills an innocent person is only worth 4 years in prison. It's the justice system in this country that has it wrong, not the people who retaliate against unprovoked violence. I couldn't give a **** if the bloke who hit slater fell back and smashed his skull in. If he didn't hit slater, he wouldn't have been hit. If only Thomas Kelly had been a bigger built kid (although then the coward who hit him probably wouldn't have chosen him) and was able to hit that maggot Loveridge back. The perfect outcome to see would be for Loveridge to smash his skull on the footpath and not wake up, and Thomas to go back to his family.

Don't forget the Manchester Police have not only cleared Slater for the punch (and presumably its severity) as it was retaliation, but said he could press charges if he wanted to.

It is interesting to compare that to what has happened here over the years with NRL players retaliating to punches or abuse, which have seen players charged and then gone to court.

After seeing the vision its a 50/50 call slight tap by the offender and a punch by Slater. The thing I laugh at is that this is the World Cup the supreme compition of the Rugby League world and we have players out at 2.30 in the morning just not a good look at all . By the way Billy just grow up you have a wife and 2 kids just dont put yourself in that situation you dopey bastard.

I just watched it.

The order of events were - BS was talking to some big bloke.

The fellow behind him seemed to bump into BS.

BS then turned around and talked to the guy placing his hands on the guy's chest. BS then pats the fellow on his shoulder.

Then the guy with an open hand gives BS a cuff in the side near his left ear in a pushing motion.

BS then then punches the guy who falls down.

Nothing in it put the guys on report and lets get on with the game.:D

Having now seen the footage it looks like a massive overreaction from Slater.

An ideal reaction would have been for him to just shake it off and let the bouncers deal with it. I can't blame him for retaliating, but the punch was a bit over the top imo. It shows poor judgment after a few too many drinks.

Hahaha... Had this been a Manly player, all you people claiming Slater "overreacted" would be screaming about someone's right to defend themselves. He struck Slater who was obviously trying to diffuse the situation. Slater, much like anyone else, is entitled to defend himself.

yourhero said:
Hahaha... Had this been a Manly player, all you people claiming Slater "overreacted" would be screaming about someone's right to defend themselves. He struck Slater who was obviously trying to diffuse the situation. Slater, much like anyone else, is entitled to defend himself.

Hey YH - have a look at my post two above yours.

I'm a mad Manly fan and have two eyes - one maroon and the other white.

I have been staunch Manly fan for over 40 years.

But it's a storm in a teacup.:)

I didn't see it as defending himself.
The bloke kind of pushed him but Slater unleashed a punch in the face. A bit of a strong reaction. Push back and verbal it out but you don't ever punch someone unless you're prepared to kill them, it's just a 100% no go. If you wouldn't stab them, then don't punch them or be prepared to face assault charges. He got off when Manly players have been in trouble for less.

faithful said:
After seeing the vision its a 50/50 call slight tap by the offender and a punch by Slater. The thing I laugh at is that this is the World Cup the supreme competition of the Rugby League world and we have players out at 2.30 in the morning just not a good look at all . By the way Billy just grow up you have a wife and 2 kids just dont put yourself in that situation you dopey bastard.

Well said faithful - you've summed up my thoughts exactly. He shouldn't have been there in the first place....fool!

On a lighter note, you blokes in this thread have given me a much needed laugh, thanks :)

Quite simply they should not be out at 230am in the morning without a posse of " minders" with them. I witnessed first hand the after game drinks with our team in
Leeds following the 2012 game, most of the management team were there drinking lemonades and ensuring the boys were " isolated" as much as possible. It was very professionally done and clearly the way to keep them out of trouble.

I'd love to teach footballers how to "defend" themselves in pub disagreements. When you sense an elevated argument hold your hands in the stop pose in front of your stomach (easy to block from here) as the other guy goes to push your chest grab the inside of his wrist at your chest and with the other open palm hit the outside of their elbow while locking the inside of the wrist. On CCTV you have only tried to defend yourself and if done right with the correct rotation of the waist, their elbow is now broken and all you gave done is push their strike to your chest away, then as they stumble you can pull them off balance with the wrist of their broken elbow and either punch their chin or sweep the legs and one strike to the back of the head. Fight over. "Pushing someone with an open palm who strikes at you in the throat is defendable in any court. And if you then strike or "push" them away with an open palm ( heel of the hand punch) to the head or throat it's one hit all so DEFENSE!

Remind me to go out on the cans with you MF76, sounds like you'd be a handy wingman. ;)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8