BLACKTOWN WORKERS

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
lets wait and see how many players come through the system this way before claiming victory

When one of their coaches is on the board at Penrith jnr rl i do wonder how much talent will filter through to Manly.
From the blacktown website:

We are pleased to announce that Michael Golden is our Sydney Shield coach for the 2017 and 2018 seasons. Michael is a great acquisition for our club and knows exactly what is required to coach at this level.
Club President Keith Cochran is very impressed with the latest addition to the clubs coaching staff.
“Michael has a vast experience in Rugby League and business acumen. He is also a current serving member of the Penrith Junior Rugby League Board. We believe he will excel in the role of Sydney Shield coach. I would like to welcome Michael to the club and look forward to him helping us progress into the future”.

And there is this peice also from the workers page:

"With programs catering to all levels, Workers is the only Club in the Penrith District which can offer players a pathway all the way to the NRL through our links to the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles and the Penrith Panthers. The oldest and strongest Rugby League club in Blacktown and Blacktowns only NSW Rugby League representatives."

• 📚
Reactions: Rex
When one of their coaches is on the board at Penrith jnr rl i do wonder how much talent will filter through to Manly.

We are pleased to announce that Michael Golden is our Sydney Shield coach for the 2017 and 2018 seasons. Michael is a great acquisition for our club and knows exactly what is required to coach at this level.
Club President Keith Cochran is very impressed with the latest addition to the clubs coaching staff.
“Michael has a vast experience in Rugby League and business acumen. He is also a current serving member of the Penrith Junior Rugby League Board. We believe he will excel in the role of Sydney Shield coach. I would like to welcome Michael to the club and look forward to him helping us progress into the future”.
Well that just deflated my balloon. That is a worry. Gus will be in his ear relentlessly.:(

If Manly is paying the bills we should tell him to keep his mouth shut about Panthers . 'Silence is Golden'.

Fair point Mr Zarsoff. Did you ever happen to see a band years ago called the Zarsoff Brothers?
No, but of course they were the inspiration behind my online moniker. Throw in R.Lee Ernest in classic pose and there you have it!
Wasn't it Darktown ?
Although granted it pretty close either way.
Yes it was.

The song was first published in 1917, by Shelton Brooks, a Canadian-born African-American, who lived right up until 1975, not long before Ted Mulry's version was released.

There have been heaps of versions, my Mum remembers a Hoagy Carmichael (there's a blast from the past) one back in the 1940s. Dean Martin sang it in the 1950s.

I have the TMG version on the iPhone/Pad/Pod.

If Manly is paying the bills we should tell him to keep his mouth shut about Panthers . 'Silence is Golden'.
That reminds me of "The name's Bond, James Bond"

'Silence is Golden, Michael Golden' :D

So how exactly does it work with Penrith having their finger in the Blacktown Workers Pie. Who gets access to who. Is it possible someone from the Workers plays for Manly one week and then Penrith the next. And who gets first dibs. And who pays the bill. As Blacktown will be virtually Manly's reserve grade, does that mean we have to lock up on contract all those Manly needs as replacements. And what happens if Blacktown's Penrith based coach choses not to play certain Manly contracted players, preferring players Penrith want to get game fit.

Until I heard about this dual relationship, I thought it was a marvellous idea. But if I am interpreting this right and Penrith has a say on players in the team, then I think its dumb.

So how exactly does it work with Penrith having their finger in the Blacktown Workers Pie. Who gets access to who. Is it possible someone from the Workers plays for Manly one week and then Penrith the next. And who gets first dibs. And who pays the bill. As Blacktown will be virtually Manly's reserve grade, does that mean we have to lock up on contract all those Manly needs as replacements. And what happens if Blacktown's Penrith based coach choses not to play certain Manly contracted players, preferring players Penrith want to get game fit.

Until I heard about this dual relationship, I thought it was a marvellous idea. But if I am interpreting this right and Penrith has a say on players in the team, then I think its dumb.
Would it suprise anyone if Penns had no idea about how Workers was run and their ties with Penrith

I think people are overeacting to this.... workers jnr and workers seniors are two different clubs much like souths jnrs and seniors.If we have a coach in Workers seniors who is a member of the penrith jnrs then we have access to their jnr players.When they state that they can provide a pathway for players to penrith and manly I think what they are meaning is that they are based in Penrith and players can choose which direction they want to go.If they want to sign on with penrith they can still play for blacktown in their massey cup and shield sides and be depth players for penrith.However if they want to play for Blacktown in the intrust cup they will be playing for Manly.I may be wrong but any players who play for Blacktown in the intrust cup could not be eligible to play with penrith but if they play for penrith in the intrust cup they would not be eligible for Blacktown/Manly's intrust cup side.If we choose to promote them to our first grade squad then that is our option...However if Penrith beat us to the punch and sign them to their Nrl squad then that is our incompetence...Any players who have not yet played intrust cup are fair game and the first side to pick them in their intrust cup side has them for the year(i would think...).

Last edited:
I think people are overeacting to this.... workers jnr and workers seniors are two different clubs much like souths jnrs and seniors.If we have a coach in Workers seniors who is a member of the penrith jnrs then we have access to their jnr players.When they state that they can provide a pathway for players to penrith and manly I think what they are meaning is that they are based in Penrith and players can choose which direction they want to go.If they want to sign on with penrith they can still play for blacktown in their massey cup and shield sides and be depth players for penrith.However if they want to play for Blacktown in the intrust cup they will be playing for Manly.I may be wrong but any players who play for Blacktown in the intrust cup could not be eligible to play with penrith but if they play for penrith in the intrust cup they would not be eligible for Blacktown/Manly's intrust cup side.If we choose to promote them to our first grade squad then that is our option...However if Penrith beat us to the punch and sign them to their Nrl squad then that is our incompetence...Any players who have not yet played intrust cup are fair game and the first side to pick them in their intrust cup side has them for the year(i would think...).

Smokin Joe, firstly thanks for your response. I was hoping someone would attempt to clarify the situation for me because it just appeared insane the way it was being presented. I wasnt suggesting I know how it works. I dont. That's why I raised the issue for clear cut clarification

I also hope you are right with what you are saying, because a number of our juniors will no doubt be heading to Blacktown Workers as a route to first grade. Having Penrith there to just grab them as they come through would be disastrous. The whole purpose of the idea was to give Manly a greater access to football talent.

But I get the impression it is Blacktown who will be deciding who plays for their team, and they are contracting players to do just that. What stake does Manly truly have in this and what say do we have in taking promising players from their team to play first grade for Manly? In other words is the arrangement identical to the Souths-Norths, Sydney City-Central Coast arrangements, where its clear cut that players coming through those lower grades are reserved for the premiership side unless they are contracted by another team and then have to leave that InTrust side.

Smokin Joe, firstly thanks for your response. I was hoping someone would attempt to clarify the situation for me because it just appeared insane the way it was being presented. I wasnt suggesting I know how it works. I dont. That's why I raised the issue for clear cut clarification

I also hope you are right with what you are saying, because a number of our juniors will no doubt be heading to Blacktown Workers as a route to first grade. Having Penrith there to just grab them as they come through would be disastrous. The whole purpose of the idea was to give Manly a greater access to football talent.

But I get the impression it is Blacktown who will be deciding who plays for their team, and they are contracting players to do just that. What stake does Manly truly have in this and what say do we have in taking promising players from their team to play first grade for Manly? In other words is the arrangement identical to the Souths-Norths, Sydney City-Central Coast arrangements, where its clear cut that players coming through those lower grades are reserved for the premiership side unless they are contracted by another team and then have to leave that InTrust side.
I don't know the answers but I don't think our juniors will be playing for Blacktown,we will still field our under age sides and I think any promising ones will still be contracted to us.It will be the same as sunshine coast the rest of the squad who don't make it will play for Blacktown and they will decide on the rest of the team that is why they have their own coaches etc....Our U20's should be better as we will not need to promote them to reserve grade to cover injuries and should be a more stable side.Any elite ones may be promoted straight to first grade for blooding like Bainbridge and Parker during the year and then promoted to the Nrl squad the following year,some may play with the Blacktown squad but still be contracted to us.I don't know but we will supply up to 8 players each week and I guess we can choose that 8?If we have some injuries to our 25 man squad I guess we can choose to play some elite U20's in those 8 players or not...As far as their players playing for us I guess that would depend on our cap situation and whether we have the room to promote them...I would think that we could make suggestions as to players we are interested in but part of the reasoning was also to reduce spending by not having to fund a reserve grade side and if Blacktown are paying the bills that is their right to recruit who they want.As to whether Penrith pick off our promising juniors,we have been doing it to others and others have been doing it to us I believe they would already know who they like without our juniors having to play for Blacktown...Another bonus is potentially more money to spend on some key juniors by not having to fund a reserve grade side and with our CEO's links to a prestigious private school on the northern beaches I am sure a few fully funded scholarships to that institution would bring many talented juniors to the beaches to play for our under age sides as well.If they are not part of our 25 man squad but are in the Blacktown workers intrust side they are ours to promote I doubt Workers or the players would play Massey cup instead of intrust cup just because they want to play for Penrith the best of the workers players will play for the intrust cup side and be ours to promote...

it means we have access to anyone not picked by penrith each weekend I think
We have formed a business arrangement with them,they were playing in the sydney shield and massey cup and supplying 1-2 players to the panthers intrust cup side and only when they had injuries,by linking with us they now can participate in the intrust cup which raises their profile/revenue/talent base.Panthers have numerous feeder sides to their intrust cup and never took the opportunity to promote workers to the intrust cup,we have....If they start supplying players to penrith it would breach the arrangement we have and we would terminate the agreement,it is in their best interests to do the right thing by us or they will be back to the massey cup/sydney shield.Why do you think they have been recruiting so heavily of late and players choosing to come to the team? It is not because they feel they will get an opportunity with the panthers,it is because they want to play intrust cup and get an opportunity with us.The panthers intrust cup side is the windsor wolves I think,I don't know that players from Blacktown would even be eligible to play for Windsor if Blacktown is linked to us?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8