Brett Stewart

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Should snake be allowed to have 2 more games at brookvale

• Yes

Votes: 54 74.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I don't really care season is over

Votes: 13 17.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A massively complicated issue, right through snakes perceived role in Tooves demise.
But this club needs to realise that it's a custodian of so much more than a business.
This bloke has had an amazing career that we've all rode on the coattails of.
Imagine the same thing happening to Turbo in 10 years.
He needs to be treated right and made to feel his major contribution to our success has meant something whether he plays again or not.

"Doctors have ruled his injury to be pre-existing"

Which Doctors?

Doesn't pre-existing only negate the insurance paying out his contract?

He can still be ruled to have a career ending injury and be exempted from the salary cap can't he. Just means the Penn's have to stump up for his payout.

This whole article seems to take whispers and turn them into drama. Surely if the medicos are telling Brett he won't improve ... he can hardly be upset with the club for saying your finished.

Yeah strange article.
Brett upset at club for trying to force him to retire.........yet he can't commit to a UK team because it's unlikely he'll be able to play a game in 2017......

So basically he wants to stay on the pay roll here next year in the hope he'll get on the field at some stage.
He has a contract and deserves the 700k so if the club is trying to get out of paying it by making him retire then shame on them. Or are they making him retire because of his knee and he still gets the 700k but it's not counted towards cap?

Wasn't his contract meant to finish this year and they gave him a one year extension?
I never understood that - just put it down to the close relationship with ZtH because we had Tommy T bursting through the horizon.
Wonder how the Stewart - Peters relationship is going now.

"Doctors have ruled his injury to be pre-existing"

Which Doctors?

Doesn't pre-existing only negate the insurance paying out his contract?

He can still be ruled to have a career ending injury and be exempted from the salary cap can't he. Just means the Penn's have to stump up for his payout.

This whole article seems to take whispers and turn them into drama. Surely if the medicos are telling Brett he won't improve ... he can hardly be upset with the club for saying your finished.
He saw a witch doctor?

Knew when I typed it that I would get it.

But seriously, is the article suggesting he has been assessed by the clubs doctors, the NRL doctors and the Insurance company doctors already?
No answer to it. If he injured it at any time in his league career how is it pre existing?

Very sad for a brilliant career to end this way.
The line about people he thought were lifelong friends turning on him, is interesting?
Management or players?
Fact is he's turning 32 next year, has a history of what could have been career ending injuries dating way back, is diabetic and slow to heal. I can't see a way back.
I really wish there was though.
We had a diabetes workshop at work this week. One thing mentioned was people with chronic diabetes are prone to depression. Interesting.
I hope the club sorts this out in way that doesn't end up with another former legend hating the club. It hasn't been good of late.

Stewart should still be able to medically retire without his 2017 salary being included on our salary cap but because it is a pre existing injury Manly cannot claim the cost back on their insurance policy and will have to pay the $700k themselves.

A win win for all parties

Last edited:
The league introduced new rules about this a year or so ago. Was the old rule or the new rule a player has to play 25 % of the season to qualify.

Im sure there is something about this in the players agreement.

He has a contract to fulfil. If he cant take the field due to injury he can hardly fulfil his side of the bargain.

The league introduced new rules about this a year or so ago. Was the old rule or the new rule a player has to play 25 % of the season to qualify.

Im sure there is something about this in the players agreement.

He has a contract to fulfil. If he cant take the field due to injury he can hardly fulfil his side of the bargain.

Unless you consider 2016 as the year the injury struck, and he had the operation, which would mean he had to have played 6.25 games in 2016 He played 11.

Wasn't his contract meant to finish this year and they gave him a one year extension?
I never understood that - just put it down to the close relationship with ZtH because we had Tommy T bursting through the horizon.
Wonder how the Stewart - Peters relationship is going now.

He thought he had lifelong friends at the club - I take that to mean ZtC

who else would it be? Players don't make the decisions, which leaves the club owners and admin. Don't think he would have Penns and Kelly as lifelong friends and everyone else is gone apart from Zorba. Then again, don't believe everything you read...

I suspect nothing will be decided about Brett until the results of his operation are clear and he can see what his options are. Catalan are not going to offer big money to a wasted body for example. I suspect Brett will make his decision in a month or two when he sees how the op went. I dont think he'll be playing for manly next year because I cant see Barrett taking Tom T from FB unless Stewart's recovery is near miraculous. The options as I see it are that he'll either retire pensioned off or accept a 2-3 year contract with Catalan if they are convinced he's worth the risk with Manly paying part of the first year. I suspect we'll be in limbo in the meantime and for a few months yet.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4