By far the most surprising stat from 2023

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Will on the hill

Bencher
Tipping Member
Manly was awarded the most penalties in 2023 with 180 and also conceded the 2nd least with 126. A positive differential of 54. The next best differentials were Penrith(26), Titans(25), Sharks(14). There are a few teams on single figures and the rest have a negative differential.

If I had guessed before looking it up I'd have thought we'd be mid table at best but to see we were 1st by more than double 2nd place was legit shocking.

Not sure if this is balanced out by set restarts because I can't find the numbers anywhere. If anyone does know where to find them please let me know.

Last edited:
Manly was awarded the most penalties in 2023 with 180 and also conceded the 2nd least with 126. A positive differential of 54. The next best differentials were Penrith(26), Titans(25), Sharks(14). There are a few teams on single figures and the rest have a negative differential.

If I had guessed before looking it up I'd have thought we'd be mid table at best but to see we were 1st by more than double 2nd place was legit shocking.

Not sure if this is balanced out by set restarts because I can't find the numbers anywhere. If anyone does know where to find them please let me know.
But after reading ST’s after every game,I thought the refs were against Manly

I'm flabagasted!
Surely these stats are wrong.

Your answer is all in this article

The reason's we "seemed" more penalised imo, is the fact opposition teams have a Blueprint of pinning us deep in our own territory and waiting for the defence to capitulate....as we are very ordinary at matching opposition tempo and the momentum other sides build, particularly through the ruck (middle) has the side looking constantly on the back foot and leads to multiple (6 again calls) which are NOT featured as a penalty and we give away these calls often on tackles 4 and 5 and while we scream "what's that penalty for, they done it to us the other end"....but the difference is, the opposition are better at controlling the tackle and dominating us physically on the ground and the wrestle, giving them more time in the tackle....as opposed to our tackles which more allow the bloke with the ball to bend the defence and struggle that bit more to (earn that 6 again)
I get annoyed with opposition getting more latitude, but they earn the decisions by winning the tempo and this is an area I believe Manly are working on in the off season....we are not a picked on team and simply need to get better and I feel confident we will in 2024.
A big part of this momentum is through stronger kick returns and outside backs getting in with some power runs and quick play the balls to get on the front foot and pressure the opposition defence and also more dummy half dashes to break down their ruck area, which in effect, then also collapses their outside defence also, which again is where we are getting beaten in most games and after losing this part of the game, it's a tough time winning on the scoreboard rely on solo efforts from Tom or DCE to freakishly win us the game even after basically being outplayed....
This may work "sometimes" against the weaker teams, but it's why we struggle against the better teams who know to win the key area's, which takes away Tom's impact and after this happens, we start pushing passes with errors and slowing down from fatigue and you know the outcome from this point....

Your answer is all in this article

Some top notch analysis there. So as of round16 we were 14th for both set restarts awarded and conceded and 15th for the differential. That balances it out a bit. I hope they do the same thing for the full season.

We had a lot of penalties go to us from things like kicks out on the full on a restart so I'd need to see a much more detailed break down of those numbers before concluding anything.

I doubt we fared so well in the 6-again stats too.

The reason's we "seemed" more penalised imo, is the fact opposition teams have a Blueprint of pinning us deep in our own territory and waiting for the defence to capitulate....as we are very ordinary at matching opposition tempo and the momentum other sides build, particularly through the ruck (middle) has the side looking constantly on the back foot and leads to multiple (6 again calls) which are NOT featured as a penalty and we give away these calls often on tackles 4 and 5 and while we scream "what's that penalty for, they done it to us the other end"....but the difference is, the opposition are better at controlling the tackle and dominating us physically on the ground and the wrestle, giving them more time in the tackle....as opposed to our tackles which more allow the bloke with the ball to bend the defence and struggle that bit more to (earn that 6 again)
I get annoyed with opposition getting more latitude, but they earn the decisions by winning the tempo and this is an area I believe Manly are working on in the off season....we are not a picked on team and simply need to get better and I feel confident we will in 2024.
A big part of this momentum is through stronger kick returns and outside backs getting in with some power runs and quick play the balls to get on the front foot and pressure the opposition defence and also more dummy half dashes to break down their ruck area, which in effect, then also collapses their outside defence also, which again is where we are getting beaten in most games and after losing this part of the game, it's a tough time winning on the scoreboard rely on solo efforts from Tom or DCE to freakishly win us the game even after basically being outplayed....
This may work "sometimes" against the weaker teams, but it's why we struggle against the better teams who know to win the key area's, which takes away Tom's impact and after this happens, we start pushing passes with errors and slowing down from fatigue and you know the outcome from this point....
This. Unfortunately this isn't the positive state we might think it is. Teams can afford to give penalties which is evident from our stats in defence. We'd be hurting without DCE and Crokers 40/20's

This. Unfortunately this isn't the positive state we might think it is. Teams can afford to give penalties which is evident from our stats in defence. We'd be hurting without DCE and Crokers 40/20's
were a poorly trained team that get carved up in the middle even the good long kicking game and the refs help isnt enough to stem the tide. Unless Seibold improves the ruck he wont be head coach for long.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8