Can we win this comp without another BIG front rower ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If Bennett decides big Martin Kennedy is surplus to requirements when the Broncos clear $1million from their cap to accommodate Darius Boyd, I hope we are ready to pounce. At 118kg and 191cm tall, he is just what we need moving forward.

http://www.nrl.com/kennedy-feared-over-rated-tag/tabid/10874/newsid/80963/default.aspx

With incoming coach Wayne Bennett not one known to invest big dollars in his big men up front, Kennedy reaffirmed his commitment to the club and a willingness to repay the faith shown by the Broncos to bring him back to Brisbane.

Snake said:
If Bennett decides big Martin Kennedy is surplus to requirements when the Broncos clear $1million from their cap to accommodate Darius Boyd,

How? He still has to be paid out, even if he is in reserve grade.

I'm happy enough if they all stand up and play well. When Dunamis comes back we'll be right.

Doesn't mean i wouldn't like us to pick up another aggressive as f@#k front rower with a bit of experience.

Do we know why Kennedy failed at the Broncos and why he wasn't selected for the Hayne Pain GF :huh:

Lets give our current crop a chance and hold onto some monies for the May sales :idea:

Answering the thread title, in my opinion no. We lost last years GF because we were short one big bopper named Fa'oso or King and we had a light weight out there in Gower. I fear the same will happen this year.

The Who said:
Snake said:
If Bennett decides big Martin Kennedy is surplus to requirements when the Broncos clear $1million from their cap to accommodate Darius Boyd,

How? He still has to be paid out, even if he is in reserve grade.

Teams release players early to free up cap space all of the time; it happens every year in rugby league. Michael Jennings and Luke Lewis are two high profile examples. Jennings was on 600K at Penrith, and the Roosters signed him for around 450K a year, so the Panthers only had to pay him 150K for the final year of his contract which was last year.

HappilyManly said:
Do we know why Kennedy failed at the Broncos and why he wasn't selected for the Hayne Pain GF :huh:

He just doesn't seem to fit in up there. He was great at the Roosters and if Toovey can turn the fortunes of JSL and Dunamis Lui, I think he can the job on Kennedy.

Problem with the part payments is that the Player is counted as part of the Top 25 in both Teams.

Manly had this reduced roster issue in 2013 when Tex was owed 80k in bonuses. Manly approached the NRL to get him off our headcount, I never heard what the outcome was :cool:

Still don't get the Kennedy hype, if he was that good then why didn't he make the 17 for the GF :huh:

Ten News just had more NRL Members vowing to not renew their Memberships next year.
SBW is their chosen face for promoting RL in the Pacific :dodgy:
He was busy answering questions about the Bledisloe Cup FFS :mad:
Then Greenturd had the audacity to state that he was chosen as 'he is a great Athlete and a Great Man'. :huh:

Hope the Kennel goes off tonight with Members who paid their fees only to have this self promoting git ruin their season :cool:

I'd love to see Lauaki get a run this week on the bench. Who knows, we may get injuries down the track and we would be better off testing him now, rather than a first time hit out in the semis.

I'd give King or Hasson a rest this week.

silvertail said:
I'd love to see Lauaki get a run this week on the bench. Who knows, we may get injuries down the track and we would be better off testing him now, rather than a first time hit out in the semis.

I'd give King or Hasson a rest this week.

Well obviously Lauaki, Tyson (Andrews), Sao or possibly Harrison, are our only alternative options this year.

A few folk are lukewarm on Lauaki (tho haven't seen him play).

A few are wanting to see him get a crack in 1sts.

All I'll say again is, we beat almost all comers this season so far (apart from the Scum which we should've beaten once). And I'm confident we can do so again when it matters.

And whilst I'd actually love to see Lauaki become a factor in 1sts, I'm also happy to let Tooves and co. make the right and best possible calls for us when necessary. They know what they're doin' folks.

I managed to see Luauki a few weeks back. He looked good. We won't get many minutes out of him, but that's fine, the 17th player rarely does.

He looks the goods. A big, menacing monster. Just saying I wouldn't mind seeing what he has to offer, sooner rather than later.

Chip and Chase said:
I don't get the Lauaki love festival. The guy has been here for a while now, so if he was offering something resembling NRL standard he would have been given a go already. If Hasson is on front of him then he has some work to do. Can't see him being the front row messiah that some are hoping for. Big does not mean better.

I agree C & C.
From what I've seen there's no use having a big bopper that can "bend the line" but then turns over possession through losing it, dropping it getting up or stuffing up the play the ball. His ball security needs work.
He's also a liability defensively - yes he can put on a hit but it's the ones you miss that end up telling.
George offered so much more and we let him go - yes, that was before Richie retired.
At least Sao is a work in progress but there's still plenty to do there and time may be on his side.

It seems recruitment wise we've tended towards the more mobile type of forward as opposed to the big boppers - maybe turning backrowers into frontrowers- time will tell.
A month ago Des was a master with his monsters and now they're staring into the abyss.

We all seem to forget that we played 76mins v Souffs with a three man bench so they ended up playing bigger minutes than planned and the last 15 was where they managed to break clear.
It seems to be forgotten in the wash-up that because it wasn't a forward that went off injured early that it doesn't impact the interchange as much.

Yes, it was a different era, but I would agree with coach Fulton's old adage, "a good big man will beat a good little man". Look back at all the titles we have won. There was always a monster prop that would dominate the ruck.

The game may have changed a lot, but I do very much prefer to have the toughest, strongest, meanest monster prop playing for us.

silvertail said:
Yes, it was a different era, but I would agree with coach Fulton's old adage, "a good big man will beat a good little man". Look back at all the titles we have won. There was always a monster prop that would dominate the ruck.

The game may have changed a lot, but I do very much prefer to have the toughest, strongest, meanest monster prop playing for us.

George Gregan might disagree with you

King injured or suspended, we just dont seem to have anyone. Well not in 1st grade anyway. How did Epa go in his match ?

It's not always about the size of the forward but just the aggression and enthusiasm to hit the line hard and straight.

Watch the Melb vs Dogs GF and see how strong some of their forwards carried the ball, mind you it does help with Cameron Smith holding the markers at bay also.

If we can play with speed we will generate good go forward especially off the back of our back row and backline and it is the reason why Tooves get's annoyed with the wrestle.

I prefer a little wrestle and slower play the balls as fast play the balls to me make for a boring game.

Technical Coach said:
I prefer a little wrestle and slower play the balls as fast play the balls to me make for a boring game.

you've just exposed your lack of technical understanding...faster play the balls allow the attacking players more time and space to use the ball as the defence back-pedals. The wrestle give the defensive line time to set which results in the structured game we have nowadays where the "football" has been coached out of our players. It's all bump it up for 3 or 4 takes and run a set play or kick to the corner; THAT IS BORING!

Snake said:
Technical Coach said:

you've just exposed your lack of technical understanding...faster play the balls allow the attacking players more time and space to use the ball as the defence back-pedals. The wrestle give the defensive line time to set which results in the structured game we have nowadays where the "football" has been coached out of our players. It's all bump it up for 3 or 4 takes and run a set play or kick to the corner; THAT IS BORING!

I agree with TC that quick play the balls turn the game into a boring game. It becomes a game of touch with players hitting the ground and getting up to roll the ball between their legs ASAP. There is a touch league out there if that's what excites you. It's enough moving the 5 to 10 defensive line without turning it into the fastest to get to the ground and roll the ball between their legs to gain momentum.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6