Can we win this comp without another BIG front rower ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
HK_Eagle said:
Snake said:
Technical Coach said:
I prefer a little wrestle and slower play the balls as fast play the balls to me make for a boring game.

you've just exposed your lack of technical understanding...faster play the balls allow the attacking players more time and space to use the ball as the defence back-pedals. The wrestle give the defensive line time to set which results in the structured game we have nowadays where the "football" has been coached out of our players. It's all bump it up for 3 or 4 takes and run a set play or kick to the corner; THAT IS BORING!

I agree with TC that quick play the balls turn the game into a boring game. It becomes a game of touch with players hitting the ground and getting up to roll the ball between their legs ASAP. There is a touch league out there if that's what excites you. It's enough moving the 5 to 10 defensive line without turning it into the fastest to get to the ground and roll the ball between their legs to gain momentum.

The idea is to play football; there's the WWE if wrestling excites you.

Snake said:
HK_Eagle said:
Snake said:
Technical Coach said:
I prefer a little wrestle and slower play the balls as fast play the balls to me make for a boring game.

you've just exposed your lack of technical understanding...faster play the balls allow the attacking players more time and space to use the ball as the defence back-pedals. The wrestle give the defensive line time to set which results in the structured game we have nowadays where the "football" has been coached out of our players. It's all bump it up for 3 or 4 takes and run a set play or kick to the corner; THAT IS BORING!

I agree with TC that quick play the balls turn the game into a boring game. It becomes a game of touch with players hitting the ground and getting up to roll the ball between their legs ASAP. There is a touch league out there if that's what excites you. It's enough moving the 5 to 10 defensive line without turning it into the fastest to get to the ground and roll the ball between their legs to gain momentum.

Yes, where is the football? Running up to a retreating line, touching a defender and rolling the ball between your legs? Is this what you want?

Yes, I agree and also don't want a game of wrestling, but there has to be a happy balance. Personally, I like the idea that a defensive line is set and that an attacking team is forced to be creative and not rely on catching defenders back-pedalling or "earning" penalties.

Props off contract in 2014 are as follows:

Ajuma Adams, Josh Ailaomai, Sam Anderson, Tinirau Arona, Luke Bailey, Caleb Binge, Michael Bullock, Mitchell Dodds, Bryce Gibbs, Jon Green, Matt Groat, Glenn Hall, Ben Hannant, James Hasson, Saulala Houma, Felise Kaufusi, Jason King, Vincent Leuluai, Toka Likiliki, Dunamis Lui, Sam Mataora, Fuifui Moimoi, Francis Molo, Nathaniel Neale, Joe Ofahengaue, Agnatius Paasi, Lloyd Perrett, Nathaniel Peteru, Tim Robinson, Junior Roqica, George Rose, Kem Seru, Ben Spina, Jake Trbojevic, Paterika Vaivai, Siosaia Vave, Albert Vete

Well I sure hope we resign Lui, I think he's been fair value this year, I'd be surprised if Jason King wants to run around for another year, and if he does wether he'd be picked up again by us. James Hasson hasn't been outstanding, but then again I thought David Gower was ordinary and gee he's been playing well at the Eels!

From that list it might be nice to bring Glenn Hall back to Brooky.

Not sure if there's any other big bopper that would fit our needs in that lot, but to be honest I watch so few other games these days (and if I do its with little interest), so perhaps there's a couple of outstanding options in that lot that might be worth chasing.

I am pretty sure from what i have seen that no team can beat soufs playing through their forwards, notice cowboys technique of avoiding the forwards and carving their easy beat backs out wide. we are a lot better than cowboys from 5/8 to wing so should be able to smash these gal loots with a little more flare in our game.

HK_Eagle said:
Snake said:
HK_Eagle said:
Snake said:
Technical Coach said:

Yes, where is the football? Running up to a retreating line, touching a defender and rolling the ball between your legs? Is this what you want?

Yes, I agree and also don't want a game of wrestling, but there has to be a happy balance. Personally, I like the idea that a defensive line is set and that an attacking team is forced to be creative and not rely on catching defenders back-pedalling or "earning" penalties.

I respect your opinion, here is mine.

If it's a slow play-the-ball involving wrestling, you have a set defensive line which you correctly identified. Since the line is set, players no longer play what's in front of them, because it's always the same thing; a set line. So coaches go about creating a couple of set plays designed to break up the set line. So we have a pattern now of teams rucking it up the middle, before the backs go through the motion of the set play, hoping for a defensive error from the opposition. When that doesn't come, they kick to the corner for a contest; hardly gripping entertainment.

Before Bellamy brought wrestling into the game, we had quicker play-the-balls and a retreating defensive line leaving holes, and tired defenders. The players had to use their "footballing nous" to expose tired defenders of engage defenders to put players into holes. Watch Cliff Lyons if you've forgotten how creative the old playmakers could be. Tired forwards open up the game for the speedy outside backs to make midfield breaks and tear down field. Last ditch tackles and scrambling take place more often providing heart in the mouth moments.

I am not implying that there aren't moments of excitement in the modern game, but on the whole, we have seen a decline in the spectacle, as half the game is spent with players lying on each other around the ruck. Get them off, and let the game flow. The more the football is off the ground and in the hands of players, the better. I fail to see how an argument can made on the grounds of entertainment, when the ball is stationary on the turf, with blokes lying all over it; that's called rugby union.

Growler FNQ said:
I am pretty sure from what i have seen that no team can beat soufs playing through their forwards, notice cowboys technique of avoiding the forwards and carving their easy beat backs out wide. we are a lot better than cowboys from 5/8 to wing so should be able to smash these gal loots with a little more flare in our game.

I did notice our forward beating their forwards a few months ago

Snake said:
Technical Coach said:

What you just did is expose your very limited understanding on what is the right elements combined together that makes a game good to watch.

Take for example the great chopping at the legs or thighs tackles, in some instances they are dominant(more efficient at getting the player down) but the defender is not even provided enough time to get back to marker.

Every tackler should be given the chance to get back to marker and it is the reason why I think a little flexibility in this area was talked about in the past that is really not enforced as much as it should be. It was mentioned allowing such tacklers under certain situations the right to bring down the legs with a second tackle while trying to get back to marker is ok.

The best way to get around or make decent go forward yardage from slower play the balls against set defensive lines is actually more enterprising rugby league that tries to break up set defences, more ball movement more risking of offloads etc etc, it is one of the reasons why Manly has advanced the game in this area over the last 7-8 years.

The question should be can we win the comp with only 53% completion rates? Nothing will tire out a team more than having to defend multiple sets of six in a row then turning the ball over and having to do it again. No doubt our intensity levels were down in the second half on friday night but it was our silly turnovers were the main catalyst for running out of juice.

Snake said:
HK_Eagle said:
Snake said:
HK_Eagle said:
Snake said:

I respect your opinion, here is mine.

If it's a slow play-the-ball involving wrestling, you have a set defensive line which you correctly identified. Since the line is set, players no longer play what's in front of them, because it's always the same thing; a set line. So coaches go about creating a couple of set plays designed to break up the set line. So we have a pattern now of teams rucking it up the middle, before the backs go through the motion of the set play, hoping for a defensive error from the opposition. When that doesn't come, they kick to the corner for a contest; hardly gripping entertainment.

Before Bellamy brought wrestling into the game, we had quicker play-the-balls and a retreating defensive line leaving holes, and tired defenders. The players had to use their "footballing nous" to expose tired defenders of engage defenders to put players into holes. Watch Cliff Lyons if you've forgotten how creative the old playmakers could be. Tired forwards open up the game for the speedy outside backs to make midfield breaks and tear down field. Last ditch tackles and scrambling take place more often providing heart in the mouth moments.

I am not implying that there aren't moments of excitement in the modern game, but on the whole, we have seen a decline in the spectacle, as half the game is spent with players lying on each other around the ruck. Get them off, and let the game flow. The more the football is off the ground and in the hands of players, the better. I fail to see how an argument can made on the grounds of entertainment, when the ball is stationary on the turf, with blokes lying all over it; that's called rugby union.

Speeding up the game too much in the ruck to induce fatigue that players feed off to play what is in front of them is the wrong way to go about it.

Look at your scrums, time taken to kick goals, penalties, drop kick restarts and speeding up the video ref process along with reducing the interchange are better alternatives to induce more fatigue into the game.

Technical Coach said:
Look at your scrums, time taken to kick goals, penalties, drop kick restarts and speeding up the video ref process along with reducing the interchange are better alternatives to induce more fatigue into the game.

I can agree with you on that one!

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8