Can we ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Marcus is spot on.. ;)

But we seem to be producing more backs who are capable than forwards.

I tell you 1 bloke we should have maybe went for is also an EX player GLENN HALL he is having a good year this year, he would have been handy..

Copa Eagle said:
... ive stated through this whole thread that 1 signing of a young prop would be ideal. It is great that we can spend less and get better out of our players, i just believe we need a prop, King (slowing down) Kite (slown down) Joe (Old but great guns) Robinson (Very effective) Rose (Slow, injuries) if we can get a young prop it would be ideal.

So if one of our junior props steps up to NRL level that would also fit your ideal?

Rex said:
Copa Eagle said:
... ive stated through this whole thread that 1 signing of a young prop would be ideal. It is great that we can spend less and get better out of our players, i just believe we need a prop, King (slowing down) Kite (slown down) Joe (Old but great guns) Robinson (Very effective) Rose (Slow, injuries) if we can get a young prop it would be ideal.

So if one of our junior props steps up to NRL level that would also fit your ideal?

Lussick hasnt yet played first grade, Cunningham is in the same boat, Harrison is a second rower, id loved to be proven wrong by both Cunningham and Lussick if they are given a chance.

Copa - know where you are coming from but let's face it, we have a number of players who suck up a lot of our salary cap, limited revenue stream (compared to some others) via our home ground, a relatively small leagues club grant and two private owners who I'm sure are quite happy with the way Des has managed to keep the team competitive and in the frame for another premiership (or more) over the next few years.
I'm quite comfortable with Matt Cross - I think he gets a bad wrap. And I'm happy with the strategy (as I'm sure you are too) with the way Des and Crusher find journeymen type players unwanted elsewhere and turn them into first graders.

Phantar said:
Copa - know where you are coming from but let's face it, we have a number of players who suck up a lot of our salary cap, limited revenue stream (compared to some others) via our home ground, a relatively small leagues club grant and two private owners who I'm sure are quite happy with the way Des has managed to keep the team competitive and in the frame for another premiership (or more) over the next few years.
I'm quite comfortable with Matt Cross - I think he gets a bad wrap. And I'm happy with the strategy (as I'm sure you are too) with the way Des and Crusher find journeymen type players unwanted elsewhere and turn them into first graders.

Youre right mate ! i dont know what im getting at, i get angry with our forwards, alot of the time ! and they take up alot of the cap, Galuvou who is on less money works his ass off ever game where Kite and rose whimper to the advantage line and earn alot more, i would love to see cunningham and lussick show these blokes up. But really i cant complain as we are in a terrific position on the ladder.

We are equal 2nd on the table with no big buys for 2 years. Our juniours are developing well and doing a great job. Why waste money on outsiders when the club are doing a great job with what we have.

I just think Copa wants some retail therapy like my wife does and it tends to be a great aphrodisiac.

Then again Copa, you may like the good old days when we had so many players we had two internationals playing second grade (Schubert and Brown). I'm sure Des and Crusher will sign nobody’s like Harrison and Robinson at the end of the year, that will end up good players. Many said negative things about Rodney when he signed and then lauded him last year, same with Robinson and to some degree Harrison. It's just a shame that Rodney is somewhat injury prone. He's a great player all the same and probably on less than others who play to a lower standard when he's on the field.

Whare is another who could be a superstar if he withstands injuries and.. he stays. Bennet was so upset when he left Saints, so he must be good. Maybe he'll be in Newcastle next year.

Yes Ryan, glad to see you still like Kite. He can't always play like he did in 2008 Grand final but a lot he does both inside the club and on the field goes unnoticed. He's great for the club and probably does a lot for the younger guys in terms of culture, a bit like Beaver, but not the same quality of player. I can see us starting to get back to the 2007/2008 culture when people like Rebecca Wilson lauded us for our culture (sorry I brought her name up.. but she did).

There is so much depth in the club at the moment and the Reggies have turned it around, beating the top placed Cronulla in recent weeks and then following it up, well, beating 2nd last placed Wests (but it could be start of a roll). I think we'll have trouble holding on to many players that this year we have. I honestly believe that given injuries, the Reggies will make the Finals and maybe even the GF. You may laugh but look at the roster and think about how long it takes a team to gel.

I think what a lot on this site have to remember is that the nucleus of this side is going to come from the U20's side of two years ago (minus Hyphenator and Tasi - who may yet still come back) who won the Minor Premiership and whoever Des and Crusher think will fit in.

If you remember Crusher said there's a lot about this squad that reminds him of 2008 and yet after round 1 many on this site suggested we were stuffed and now (at this stage) we are contenders (who's the better judge?).

Be patient my friends, you can't win every year, the salary cap has put an end to that, but we'll go close, barring injuries. That we make it to the finals and play attractive football is all that I ask and entertain me (better than the damn Horrortahs anyway!).

Copa Eagle said:
The Eagle said:
If theres a signing id like it would have to be Ryan James and some
random junior prop,the junior would probably be from the warriors

Kite/King/Both ESL thx for the memories and good luck

Exactly, theyre towards then end of their careers, Kite more so ! In saying that im happy he has stayed but i hope he shows his worth, buy resigning Kite we could lose out in buying a young prop.

Fairly sure we just resigned Kitey for two years?
:tumbleweed:

In Crusher we trust.....smple as that!!

He knows far more than all of us combined....and hello we are running 3rd so things are not too bad are they???

Sounds like the entire off season where we ead that the recruitment and retention at our club was disgraceful and we had a crap squad that would miss the 8 ...

Keep on doing what we have been doing, buy them young when they are cheap.

Great work by Crusher and all involved in recruitment.

Where second on the table, based on the northern beaches, have some of the best players in the league. Know how to win a premiership having averaged at least one in the past 4 decades and have a coach who works his butt off and backs his players. What do you think????

IF - theres any signings get a couple of the NZ Toyota cup big boppers on the cheap & put the rest towards retention of this winning squad. Big Loussi owns the Toyota Cup & WILL be a future star.

I must admit to being a bit underwhelmed by our activity in the marketplace the last few years but a lot of that has been forgotten about due to the quality of young players we have coming through. Sure it would be nice to be in the mix for an Origin star off contract but the fact is other clubs are hunting these players down because they are struggling and need them, whereas we are going along very nicely and I know which situation I'd prefer to be in.

Copa Eagle said:
please dont think that i doubt any of our young talent, i just believe a young signing of a prop would be awesome. My question hasnt been answered yet, is Manly still an attractive clubs for players to come to ?

Maybe yes, maybe no. But what we do know is that, as long as the club can afford you, you will stay at Manly. There are a lot of players in this squad that will be one club men and that says alot about the club.

The perfect spot you want a club to be in is to never have to buy anyone because the stars are coming through the junior ranks and STAYING. Don't think that the Dogs buying players is a good thing, especially when they have such a big juniors base. It just means that these players take the money, realise the club is ****, then leave 2 years later. It also means the club only thinks about winning in a period of 2 years. Manly has a decade + plan and we are starting to see the signs of it now.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6