Cherry's Long Term Future

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Look! Its happening, the prophecy is being fulfilled!
Like i said Chezza is now pushing for a run-on start in the Kangaroos, totally killing it. Im happy for Chezza but im quietly ****ting myself - the Broncos are definitely gonna try and get him soon, if not this off season then during next years season. He's the next long term Kangaroos half back. The Broncos need him in their team. ****, i have hectic paranoia kicking in now

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/daly-cherryevans-forces-robbie-farah-out-of-kangaroos-squad-for-quarter-final-against-usa/story-fndujljl-1226759227714

I would be devastated if we lost either DCE or Foz. They are a marquee combination. The retention of these two will ensure we are contenders for many years to come.

Absolutely Frank!
By the look of our recruitment last year and next I'd say we're maybe following the Storm's blueprint - identify your bluechip players and pay them whatever you need to keep them ( whilst staying under the cap of course ), and then build the rest of your squad with good youngsters, journeymen, last chancers etc. These guys grow an extra leg playing with superstars and they've only got to do their job.
You won't win every year but you'll always be thereabouts.
If Snake can play 18-20 games a season with Foz and Cherry we're top 4 material.

Us fans get the$hits when we let guys like Kitey and George go but every dollar we save on their replacements gets paid back twice if DCE and Foz stay long term.

Kangaroos coach Tims Sheens hails versatility of Manly's Daly Cherry-Evans
PAUL CRAWLEY IN LONDON THE DAILY TELEGRAPH NOVEMBER 21, 2013 11:00PM

Daly Cherry-Evans has displayed his versatility for the Kangaroos.

TIM Sheens reckons Daly Cherry-Evans is the Kangaroos' new Kurt Gidley and could emerge as Australia's saviour by the end of this World Cup.

The Manly halfback was outstanding in both matches he started when playing in the halves and was pushing Cooper Cronk and Johnathan Thurston for a spot in the starting team.

But while it seems certain he will now play out the tournament on the bench that is not to say Sheens doesn't rate Cherry-Evans as a key weapon because of his versatility.

Injuries to Luke Lewis and Billy Slater has forced Sheens to reshuffle his side for the semi-final against Fiji on Saturday and Cherry-Evans remains Sheens' preferred option on the bench ahead of Robbie Farah.

Gidley used to be the Kangaroos' Mr Fix It and was always a guaranteed selection before he copped a string of injuries in the last few years.

Australian have been searching for a genuine utility player ever since and Sheens says he may have found him.

"Trying to cover all positions now I've lost Luke (Lewis) is difficult," Sheens said.

"Cherry showed last week, he has played a bit of centre, he has played some nine, some seven, so there is a lot more of a Gidley look about him now then maybe before he came on tour.

"He is a football player as well as being athletic.

"He's smart. He knows what is required (for different) positions.

Robbie Farah has found himself behind Cherry-Evans for the Kangaroos.

"He doesn't panic if you say to him go out and play in the centres or play on the wing or play at fullback, he could handle it."

And in Origin this year Cherry-Evans even held his own in the back-row.

"That's right. He is there as a utility," Sheens continued.

"He can play nine, a bit of 13, State of Origin showed that.

"Last weekend he started in the centres and went into hooker.

"I trust him to handle that spot."

But while Cherry-Evans is still ahead of Farah, Sheens said that could change depending on who they face in the final.

"If we go past this week we are going to have to look at who we are playing before I finalise that side," he said.

"England and New Zealand are two different beasts.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/kangaroos-coach-tims-sheens-hails-versatility-of-manlys-daly-cherryevans/story-fni3fbgz-1226765605489

Bodes well for DCE whilst he waits for Cronk/Thurston to retire :angel:

If broncos get smith then no chance for dce given they will likely have
Barba, smith, Hodges, thaiday all report players.

winnyason said:
If broncos get smith then no chance for dce given they will likely have
Barba, smith, Hodges, thaiday all report players.
I don't think that matters much. The broncs have a lot of 3rd party sponsorship options.
I'm unsure what the rules for the new cap are (didn't they just relax the rules to keep SBW?) but I would think they could offer Chezza a lot of money. I bet they would even offload players to get him, if necessary

tookey said:
I have heard that DCE is suing Tim Sheens for saying that he is the next Kurt Gidley.

Yes, what an insult to be called that.

Zorba has been reading my thread. His column in today's manly daily - item number one, Cherrys future.

I had an idea for a third party sponsorship deal to bump up Cherry's salary with us. Cherry Ripes. Duh very obvious, I know, but we need to throw more 3rd party cash at him, as there is a stampede of Broncos approaching..
Maybe Monbaulk Cherry jam too. Do we even have a marketing department at Manly?? He's the worlds best halfback now. Let's market him appropriately

Brissie Kid said:
Broncos have signed Anthony Milford for 2015. With them also apparently after Cam Smith & K Hunt for 2015 that should mean a full salary cap loaded up & leaving DCE alone.

Sorry, I don't buy that for a second. If they need to they will offload players to get him. But the jerks will find ways to fit him in. Paper bags, if necessary

Q Cup winner, nrl champion, state of origin champion and World Cup winner.
Why wouldn't every one want him at their club?!

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6