Christchurch 2 years on

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Thanks for that. I'd forgotten (somehow) that you were in Sydney but still thought you'd know more than the Canadian press,etc.

Good to hear it was out to sea. (like my posts).

Not much luck for the country at the moment !!

2 big quakes have rocked the top of the South island and Wellington today, thankfully the damage isn't anywhere near as bad as what happened down here but 6.6 and 5.7 are big numbers

A lot of people that have left Chch to go to that part of the country will be having a tough night

Bloody hell!

Don't try escaping to australia by boat though, you'll be sent back, or to png!

NZ is angry there's no more 'The hobbit' methinks.

I know there's the internet.....

But how are things in Christchurch progressing? Rebuilding forging ahead?

Hey mate

Things still moving fairly slowly, still more to come down than there is going up, but we are slowly getting there in what is going to be an extremely slow process

They set themselves a goal of having peoples house fixes done by the end of the year so they are really trying to push that along and some cowboy work is being done from what I hear

Kiwi Eagle said:
Hey mate

Things still moving fairly slowly, still more to come down than there is going up, but we are slowly getting there in what is going to be an extremely slow process

They set themselves a goal of having peoples house fixes done by the end of the year so they are really trying to push that along and some cowboy work is being done from what I hear

Ok, so cautiously optimistic? My better half kinda wants to visit sometime (I've only stayed at the Millbrook resort - Queenstown) and hence I'd thought I'd ask for a hands on report. Both, obviously, because I think of you guys now and again as the media has moved on...and also to give 'better half' an idea of what she's in for! Anything LOTR's she'll want to see!

Thanks for your reply and hope it goes fast, well, and cheap!

I was over a couple of months back. It's fairly devastated. Shipping containers stacked everywhere holding buildings up.

There's a good open top double decker bus tour that's worth going on that takes you around the city and all the sites both gone and standing.

The place was full of Irish builders - never sen so many paddies outside of Belfast.

Nice city - quite an expensive place to stay.

Jerry1 said:
I was over a couple of months back. It's fairly devastated. Shipping containers stacked everywhere holding buildings up.

There's a good open top double decker bus tour that's worth going on that takes you around the city and all the sites both gone and standing.

The place was full of Irish builders - never sen so many paddies outside of Belfast.

Nice city - quite an expensive place to stay.

Good one! Thanks for that. You probably saw KE, sign around his neck, "will do unspeakable things for food (and Manly tickets.)

@"Kiwi Eagle"

My sister's play ground equipment company has won a big tender for the new playground under construction in the centre of Christchurch. She said is going to be quite an amazing play area when finished mid 2015.

Will be great for the local kids :)

http://ccdu.govt.nz/our-progress/announcements/equipment-supply-confirmed-for-world-class-family-playground-3-september-2014

Late reply to your post here Mals, that is great news !

Drove past the old stadium yesterday and it is a sad sight now, spent so much time there growing up and so many great memories of the place

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 15
Late reply to your post here Mals, that is great news !

Drove past the old stadium yesterday and it is a sad sight now, spent so much time there growing up and so many great memories of the place
Sad to see the stadium looking like that. Reminds me a bit of those pics that were around recently of some of the Athens Olympic sites. Any more news on a replacement stadium?

I've been wanting to post in here for some time. Well...since I visited Christchurch in August (2015). Unfortunately it was raining so that put a damper (no pun intended) on my walking around. It was surreal to see swathes of land devoid of any buildings, and also complete high rise hotels still boarded up.

The big talking point seems to be the church. Should it be demolished? The church thinks so but the people don't. It's unfair for me to comment either way.

Yet there is an underlying of positivity about the place. Like...we're hurt, but let's get on with it. I was hoping to spend more time there to get a real feel of the place but alas, duty called.

Hope these pics do the place some justice.

@Kiwi Eagle and @Mals and others

ge

0FQz0IQ.jpg

sUc5PQ7.jpg

6m1nOEX.jpg

WdAsGn8.jpg

NzJ0NuJ.jpg

tzdt0QS.jpg

yntVm4E.jpg

XpuStMe.jpg

JsVQtFc.jpg

4tfKHeR.jpg

sh5MkT5.jpg

This street, built long before the others....was strangely untouched by the quake. Better building methods??

IaE5yXR.jpg

NZ is awesome....everyone should visit!

Last edited:
Some great pics there @globaleagle :) What sort of spend would it be to fully restore the church? I guess big $$$$

My missus has a uni conference in Christchurch in October... I was hoping to tag along with our Bub but sadly house hold economics says that my better half will go alone while I say in Sydney with the little one... :(

Some great pics there @globaleagle :) What sort of spend would it be to fully restore the church? I guess big $$$$

My missus has a uni conference in Christchurch in October... I was hoping to tag along with our Bub but sadly house hold economics says that my better half will go alone while I say in Sydney with the little one... :(

I DON'T WANT YOUR PITY POST!!!!!

Who am I kidding....yes I do!

On one hand the church is saying that it would cost 50 million over and above what the insurance would cover...they have said (bizarrely that it would take 22 years and $225 million to do.

One another hand opponents say this is b/s.

They say the church has insurance for $40 million, it would probably take $67 mill to fix and funding is available.

So two extremes!

http://restorechristchurchcathedral.co.nz/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ChristChurch_Cathedral,_Christchurch#Proposed_demolition

Depending on how long the conference is for...it may not be a bad thing to stay at home as it's not as if there's a super lot to do in Christchurch. Boy petrol is expensive there!

@:):church::ram::ram::ram:

I DON'T WANT YOUR PITY POST!!!!!

Who am I kidding....yes I do!

On one hand the church is saying that it would cost 50 million over and above what the insurance would cover...they have said (bizarrely that it would take 22 years and $225 million to do.

One another hand opponents say this is b/s.

They say the church has insurance for $40 million, it would probably take $67 mill to fix and funding is available.

So two extremes!

http://restorechristchurchcathedral.co.nz/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ChristChurch_Cathedral,_Christchurch#Proposed_demolition

Depending on how long the conference is for...it may not be a bad thing to stay at home as it's not as if there's a super lot to do in Christchurch. Boy petrol is expensive there!

@:):church::ram::ram::ram:

Haha so what you are in fact saying GE is that @Kiwi Eagle leads a boring lifestyle ;) The conference is only for 2 days so it would be a short "smash & grab" trip over to CC. How long did you stay for?

Yes, yes I am! (lol...cough)

2 days is ok. :)

Err...*thinks through bourbon haze*

We were in NZ for about 6 weeks. Did a bit of snowboarding (nz gave me a fractured rib) whislt better half continued her career ski racing f.i.s. events.

(Oh and saw the manly v warriors game :) )

Umm...all my posts on here after I posted the pics...were when I was tipsy. So err no offence meant. :)

There's a lot of huge and great artwork on many building's walls....but better half didn't take pics of them.

Pics like:

13661838135_d5c8d21d5c_b.jpg

And:

124%20peterborough.jpg

• 👍
Reactions: lsz
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4