Club News 2022

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

HK_Eagle

First Grader
Premium Member
Morals and virtues should not be forced upon the players or anyone for that matter.
If a player does not want to wear a pride jersey they should not have too. It does not automatically mean that they are bad people or want to intentionally hurt anyone. It’s one thing to accept peoples differences it’s another thing to force people to celebrate it. Personally I would not have a problem wearing the jersey and more importantly helping people in anyway I could to feel included in society. Forcing morals upon people will do no one any good especially those who are on the margin.
Ohh, I didn't realise the boys were being forced down to Oxford street to party on in a gay club after the game???

Real Deal

Reserve Grader
It is a Manly jersey... the players can state their personal views (as they are doing) and then take the field and play their a**es off for Manly...
The whole problem, Frank, is that they've changed the jersey. Maybe this opens up the challenge of special round jerseys. Do we really need any of them? I can remember Anzac Day without having to have my team wear a jersey.

I can abhor violence against women without the jersey. Ditto for homopohbia. Yes, this discussion may expose some incipient homophobia but it goes to the bigger issue of clubs in general and the NRL being good corporate citizens. Google the ESG discussion about environment, social and governance.

If the Tigers v Cowboys stuff shows us anything, it is that the game is being run poorly. They are obsessed with "optics" rather than basics of giving the fans a good and fair contest.

Ron E. Gibbs

First Grader
Why do we have to promote queers.
I don't think it's rugby leagues responsibility champion people's sexual preference's. If you want to stick your dick up another blokes bum go & do it. I don't think anyone should be forced to wear a jersey promoting it if its not your thing.
It's not promoting homosexuality; it's supposed to be promoting tolerance and inclusion - the idea that everyone is the same. Why do we need to promote tolerance and inclusion, you ask? Um, take a look at some of the comments in this thread for starters.

Nobody is asking the players to support or promote anything. They are literally being asked to wear a jersey with some rainbow colours on it. It is not a big ask.

HK_Eagle

First Grader
Premium Member
Have they come out and slammed gay folk? You’re calling them bigots for refusing to act on a cause. If you’re not protesting climate change , it means you’re a climate denier then?
Emotion is overtaking logic.
Well, actually, they DID ACT ON A CAUSE... by refusing to wear the jersey they have made a very strong statement about what they support (or don't support).

frank stokes

I discriminate indiscriminately
Have they come out and slammed gay folk? You’re calling them bigots for refusing to act on a cause. If you’re not protesting climate change , it means you’re a climate denier then?
Emotion is overtaking logic.
They are threatening not to play a crucial game because of the colour of a stripe... a f*cking stripe!
I could not give a flying f*ck what their reasoning is... man up or f*ck off and let somebody play for our club that will gouge another man's eyes out if thats what it takes to put that jersey on each week...

bringbackbeaver

Reserve Grader
Well, actually, they DID ACT ON A CAUSE... by refusing to wear the jersey they have made a very strong statement about what they support (or don't support).
Nope. They are refusing to budge on their own / internal sacred beliefs. And people seem to have lost respect for that. Instead, people like you are trying to push your beliefs onto them. And that’s the difference here.

40 nil

It's only a game ...
It's strange considering how tolerant society is these days.
Today's report about an Islander players' boycott points to a possible reason why NRL players haven't been coming out, despite overall societal acceptance of LGBTQ. The NRL states that 45% of NRL players are of Maori or Pacific Islands ethnicity. If any of them are gay, cultural constrictions would prevent them coming out. If players from the other 55% are gay, they might be fearful of coming out and upsetting their Islander peers or even causing disharmony within their teams.

frank stokes

Would you a jersey that states the 10 commandments?or some other religious message? Of course in small print.
You bet I f*cking would! I have no problem with people right to believe what they want - until it restricts the rights of others...
And Manly is the ultimate religion - BELIEVE OR LEAVE! (our team, not you personally)

Red Pill

Enthusiastic Amateur
Ohh, I didn't realise the boys were being forced down to Oxford street to party on in a gay club after the game?
Would you wear a jersey that states the 10 commandments or some other religious message of course it will be in small print and no you won’t have to go to church afterwards?

Michael Clare

Reserve Grader
This is precisely why I don't particularly like any kind of message being pushed by the NRL, be they good, bad or indifferent. It probably sells jerseys and makes certain fans and sections of the media feel warm and fuzzy, but the downside is that it can potentially cause divisions, upset fans and now even players (presumably Christian) in our team. I much prefer the traditional idea of a football jersey simply representing a proud club. In Australia today any club's fanbase consists of people from different cultural backgrounds who must inevitably have differing views on any number of political, social and religious issues. I have no issue with any group in particular. But the jersey ... well that's kind of sacred. As I see it, to turn it into a social message or political statement every other week is seen by some as virtue signalling. Let's just keep it simple. Surely the mighty Sea Eagle jersey is about a football team, not fashionable or unfashionable causes.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
The issue is not about promoting queers or blokes sticking dicks up bums as you eloquently put it... it's about making an effort to create community and belongingness, to bring certain communities/groups that have felt ostracised, bullied, disempowered and silenced, in to the fold, to show acceptance and compassion for difference. We all have an innate need to belong in our tribes and feel wanted and safe. So, instead of creating "others" and pushing them out, we are trying to build respect, compassion and acceptance. These are fundamental needs for all of us as humans.

How does your earlier post saying that any player that refuses to wear the jersey be stood down and released be viewed ... in relation to your above post.

Are you not ostracising, bullying, disempowering, and silencing a certain community/group .. where is your acceptance and compassion for their difference ..

Regardless of my view or your view ... any players that do protest will be doing so honestly and in a genuine belief that they are following their religious values ..

I respect the Pride movement ... and in doing so I must also respect the players that follow their beliefs.

frank stokes

The whole problem, Frank, is that they've changed the jersey. Maybe this opens up the challenge of special round jerseys. Do we really need any of them? I can remember Anzac Day without having to have my team wear a jersey.

I can abhor violence against women without the jersey. Ditto for homopohbia. Yes, this discussion may expose some incipient homophobia but it goes to the bigger issue of clubs in general and the NRL being good corporate citizens. Google the ESG discussion about environment, social and governance.

If the Tigers v Cowboys stuff shows us anything, it is that the game is being run poorly. They are obsessed with "optics" rather than basics of giving the fans a good and fair contest.
I do not disagree with you on this point - if I ever see us in a purple jersey again I may take a long walk off a short pier...
But the decision is made, it's a coloured stripe and these blokes are willing to blow up our season over it... that's fine but just keep walking...

bringbackbeaver

Reserve Grader
They are threatening not to play a crucial game because of the colour of a stripe... a f*cking stripe!
I could not give a flying f*ck what their reasoning is... man up or f*ck off and let somebody play for our club that will gouge another man's eyes out if thats what it takes to put that jersey on each week...
Agree. They should just be allowed to wear the standard jersey then. The club and players should put the club / season first .
This is precisely why I don't particularly like any kind of message being pushed by the NRL, be they good, bad or indifferent. It probably sells jerseys and makes certain fans and sections of the media feel warm and fuzzy, but the downside is that it can potentially cause divisions, upset fans and now even players (presumably Christian) in our team. I much prefer the traditional idea of a football jersey simply representing a proud club. In Australia today any club's fanbase consists of people from different cultural backgrounds who must inevitably have differing views on any number of political, social and religious issues. I have no issue with any group in particular. But the jersey ... well that's kind of sacred. As I see it, to turn it into a social message or political statement every other week is seen by some as virtue signalling. Let's just keep it simple. Surely the mighty Sea Eagle jersey is about a football team, not fashionable or unfashionable causes.
spot on and well said . Logical and reasonable

Jerry1

First Grader
It's not promoting homosexuality; it's supposed to be promoting tolerance and inclusion - the idea that everyone is the same. Why do we need to promote tolerance and inclusion, you ask? Um, take a look at some of the comments in this thread for starters.

Nobody is asking the players to support or promote anything. They are literally being asked to wear a jersey with some rainbow colours on it. It is not a big ask.
It is if you don't agree with it. If it was Christian week would you expect the Muslim, Jew, Hindu, Agnostic players to be wearing a cross. We all voted for same sex marriage etc - we don't need the constant drum banging all the time. Why should vocal minorities always have to be put ahead of all other groups at the expense of their beliefs or views.

frank stokes

How does your earlier post saying that any player that refuses to wear the jersey be stood down and released be viewed ... in relation to your above post.

Are you not ostracising, bullying, disempowering, and silencing a certain community/group .. where is your acceptance and compassion for their difference ..

Regardless of my view or your view ... any players that do protest will be doing so honestly and in a genuine belief that they are following their religious values ..

I respect the Pride movement ... and in doing so I must also respect the players that follow their beliefs.
They can state their beliefs AND then play the game in a jersey with a coloured stripe... or not, but it will clearly demoNstrate their commitment to their team...

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 9 2 82 20
11 8 3 112 18
11 8 3 75 18
11 7 4 65 16
12 7 5 135 14
12 7 5 57 14
11 6 5 -9 14
11 6 5 -38 14
12 6 5 36 13