Club News 2023

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
How did he rank in dropped balls and stupid passes.
Probably top 5 for both 😀

In 2021, we had the same 7 players* in the top 50 for errors & the top 50 for handling errors, but Tapau wasn't one of them. He was 14th in offloads & 21st in decoy runs. Overall, his 2021 stats were good and one of the reasons we finished 4th.

However, I would suggest most of his good stats were probably when we won, not when we lost, especially not heavy losses. Recently rewatching the highlights of some of our big 2021 wins, I noticed that Taupau has good ball skills when he acted as a pivot, changing the point of attack from one side of the field to the other.

I'm glad he wasn't resigned as this will increase opportunities for some of our younger middles to be promoted to the 17.

*Saab, Garrick, Turbo, Harper, Parker, Schuster & DCE.

Last edited:
Regarding these three stats

1. Post-contact metres.
I think this stat is overrated, although it is an indicator of forward power and the impact of outside backs when running the ball pack. I think quick play the balls and offloads are more important for offensive momentum than post-contact metres. We need to greatly improve in both these facets of play.

2. Set restarts.
Definitely needs to be fixed by better ball security & not conceding dumb penalties.

3. Protect the ball
Needs improving. Offensively, Sipley is our best 'ball stealer'. Surely others like Schuster can hone up on this skill. Personally, I'd like to see stripping outlawed as it slows the game down with more penalties given away from unsuccessful strips than there are successful strips. At least, the rule should be modified to only allow strips in one on one tackles.
coming from newcastle i know im not 'big city smart' but to me there is only one point that needs to be achieved:
1. score more points than the other team.
as the meerkat says 'simples':

In 2021 we had four players ranked in the top 50 for post-contact metres

22. Garrick
30. Paseka
35. Olakau'tu

Can you remember which Manly player was ranked 7th?

Taupau:1,372 post-contact metres, 26 games
This highlights the chicken egg theory i bang on about
did the forwards provide the platform first and only in 21 or did tom playing a halfback role compliment the forwards, giving them opportunity to play there games on equal footings

more possession and rests due to the mountains of tries, helps

our forwards were not as affective last season although they were digging in mid season, without the assistance of a halfback providing the extra benefits that tom was providing From fullback in 21

halves struggle without forward platform
forwards struggle without game management
its a balance .
tom didnt game manage as such, he just kicked in the door for a similar outcome for the grunt men

forwards slugging it out with no balance equals extra injury. thats us calling it bad luck year after year and of course some is Theory only , but injuries occur more frequently under fatigue - not perspective

my view has always been this . Turn the others around

This highlights the chicken egg theory i bang on about
did the forwards provide the platform first and only in 21 or did tom playing a halfback role compliment the forwards, giving them opportunity to play there games on equal footings
I've rewatched a few of the 2021 games and despite having some massive wins, our defence was never that good. Our forwards lacked the intensity & resoluteness of the top teams such as the Panthers & Storm. The Panthers are like a well oiled machine. Their forwards batter opposition teams into submission and their backs have plenty of firepower to score points. The great Manly teams of the past were like this. I'm sure our current team can improve in intensity and energy. This will obviously be the aim of the new coaching & fitness staff.

Cracking morning down at the Fan day. Gotta say a great effort from the club to put on so many activity for the kids in particular! Players looked sharp during the open training session and on a hot day every single player was out and about mingling, signing posters and taking photos and happily doing so, which was definitely appreciated by the masses there.

Huge turn out as well, I’d be very surprised if Rd 1 isn’t a sell out a few days from game day.

I've rewatched a few of the 2021 games and despite having some massive wins, our defence was never that good. Our forwards lacked the intensity & resoluteness of the top teams such as the Panthers & Storm. The Panthers are like a well oiled machine. Their forwards batter opposition teams into submission and their backs have plenty of firepower to score points. The great Manly teams of the past were like this. I'm sure our current team can improve in intensity and energy. This will obviously be the aim of the new coaching & fitness staff.
nice add

agree . Our machine was rusty and rarely on the same page. forwards need some predictability when in the grind to concentrate on the role and not having to think . Run, struggle, get to feet, get downtown and bash, repeat .Its always been the recipe for success of a pack with a few rare exceptions. Its the riffs game. the grind we dont seem to have mastered

forwards that retreat continually to get the pill more often, struggle more often. energy spent on the commute and not the job . Its screws with the mental health and team harmony one it becomes the norm.

our forwards were not that much better in 21 but some have them as the biggest change In 22

Our semis in 21 we were dominated early on the scoreboard and looked ambushed , but the pack dug in and gave us opportunities to respond. That 15 - 30 minute period in each game were probably the best they played all season from memory , but its not that trustworthy

we blew those opportunities like we were going to get 50 more. Same page thingy. The riff respect everyones work a bit more, and play with respect for the well someone else dug. opinion

tom took the ball to the line almost every run and only ran angles to improve the goal kick. That helped the forwards. He got smashed often . Cleary plays off a dominant pack but gets creamed often Playing his role Forwards respect that. Hell yeah i do also. Its why he is king, its why munster despite the lack of structure alters games often

if this were to change we become a better team both in competitiveness and as a unit, but our spine might cop more injuries and tom might get less

Cracking morning down at the Fan day. Gotta say a great effort from the club to put on so many activity for the kids in particular! Players looked sharp during the open training session and on a hot day every single player was out and about mingling, signing posters and taking photos and happily doing so, which was definitely appreciated by the masses there.

Huge turn out as well, I’d be very surprised if Rd 1 isn’t a sell out a few days from game day.
And you didn’t get a selfie with the Great Cuzzo 🙁

And you didn’t get a selfie with the Great Cuzzo 🙁
Brett Stewart spent about half an hour signing autographs during the training session, still hugely popular.

Kao Weekes looked really sharp in the training. I spoke to him last year and he was obviously frustrated at not getting much gametime, hopefully he has more opportunities this year.

A great day out, but would have been good to have someone on the PA to direct traffic to different things that were happening (there was supposed to be a coach's talk for Gold members, not sure if it happened). Such a huge turnout, bodes well for the year.

Brett Stewart spent about half an hour signing autographs during the training session, still hugely popular.

Kao Weekes looked really sharp in the training. I spoke to him last year and he was obviously frustrated at not getting much gametime, hopefully he has more opportunities this year.

A great day out, but would have been good to have someone on the PA to direct traffic to different things that were happening (there was supposed to be a coach's talk for Gold members, not sure if it happened). Such a huge turnout, bodes well for the year.
Apparently there were 2 sessions with Seibs, DCE and Jake.

Any Silvertailers in these pics?

Seems like a Fantastic Player / Fan day as Always
Some fans cannot be there due to circumstances but we are always there in Spirit

A Sea of Maroon and White Happy Sea eagles
Picture Compliments from Manly Media

Any Silvertailers at Fan Day and want to share an update?
The Fan Day was awesome, very well organised (apart from lack of an outdoor PA) and very well attended, considering the heat. Here's a bit of a summary.

Saw the firsts training, they all looked sharp and appeared to be being conditioned for the heat in the forthcoming few weeks. Seibs spoke to them at the end and then they all high-fived each other (may not be unusual but I thought it was a nice touch).

Next were 2 Q&A sessions in the Members' Lounge for (all) members only - the 1st with Seibs, DCE and Jake. Apparently the 2nd was with Seibs, DCE and Reuben. There were many Q&A's. Seibs spoke very well and answered some curly questions (eg his time at Brisbane) from members impressively. Another question was about coaching with Eddie Jones and he said he gained much knowledge from him. He also told EJ to keep his hands off Koula! Has focused a lot in the offseason on 'togetherness'.

DCE answered a question about who's impressed him in the offseason by saying Koula and Cooper Johns. Is also going to miss his good friend and former teammate in Foz but is looking forward to seeing some new players step up and get their chance.

Jake spoke with a slightly emotional voice about the highlight of his career being round 9 in 2022 when the 3 brothers were named and played in the starting side against the Tigers and Ben scored 2 tries.

The local clubs had tents set-up in the park behind Brookie and the players who are local juniors were in their respective tents signing and having photos with the fans. Other non-local players mingled with the fans. I have to say all the players were very well behaved, friendly, accommodating and grateful for our support and good wishes. Many players in last night's trial game were there and all the lower grade/trial & replacement/fringe players were so pleased that we actually knew who they were and talked to them on their progress and hopes for the future.

Well done Manly!

PS I'm not in any of the Fan Day photos but I did manage to briefly talk to Cuzzo (who hosted the Q&A). I asked him how Fletcher Myers is but he said he hadn't heard. My son praised him for all the informative articles on players and offseason activities he has published. Cuzzo also mentioned how 'open' Seibold is with himself, the media and players' availability to the media. And one last thing - Cuzzo said now that the 'old contacts' have gone, the media aren't going to publish stories before Manly do.

Apparently there were 2 sessions with Seibs, DCE and Jake

The Fan Day was awesome, very well organised (apart from lack of an outdoor PA) and very well attended, considering the heat. Here's a bit of a summary.

Saw the firsts training, they all looked sharp and appeared to be being conditioned for the heat in the forthcoming few weeks. Seibs spoke to them at the end and then they all high-fived each other (may not be unusual but I thought it was a nice touch).

Next were 2 Q&A sessions in the Members' Lounge for (all) members only - the 1st with Seibs, DCE and Jake. Apparently the 2nd was with Seibs, DCE and Reuben. There were many Q&A's. Seibs spoke very well and answered some curly questions (eg his time at Brisbane) from members impressively. Another question was about coaching with Eddie Jones and he said he gained much knowledge from him. He also told EJ to keep his hands off Koula! Has focused a lot in the offseason on 'togetherness'.

DCE answered a question about who's impressed him in the offseason by saying Koula and Cooper Johns. Is also going to miss his good friend and former teammate in Foz but is looking forward to seeing some new players step up and get their chance.

Jake spoke with a slightly emotional voice about the highlight of his career being round 9 in 2022 when the 3 brothers were named and played in the starting side against the Tigers and Ben scored 2 tries.

The local clubs had tents set-up in the park behind Brookie and the players who are local juniors were in their respective tents signing and having photos with the fans. Other non-local players mingled with the fans. I have to say all the players were very well behaved, friendly, accommodating and grateful for our support and good wishes. Many players in last night's trial game were there and all the lower grade/trial & replacement/fringe players were so pleased that we actually knew who they were and talked to them on their progress and hopes for the future.

Well done Manly!

PS I'm not in any of the Fan Day photos but I did manage to briefly talk to Cuzzo (who hosted the Q&A). I asked him how Fletcher Myers is but he said he hadn't heard. My son praised him for all the informative articles on players and offseason activities he has published. Cuzzo also mentioned how 'open' Seibold is with himself, the media and players' availability to the media. And one last thing - Cuzzo said now that the 'old contacts' have gone, the media aren't going to publish stories before Manly do.
Great summary. I think I got my 7 year old over the line to play for his local club by visiting the tent. Also worth mentioning Cuzzo leading the crowd in a couple of pretty loud MANLY chants for the video.

Well done Manly!

Thx for the summary Linda - sounds like a great day for all

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8