Club News 2023

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
From the SMH:

Sea Eagles and Dragons in tug-of-war for premiership winner​

By Michael Chammas

August 22, 2023 — 1.47pm
The Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles and St George Illawarra Dragons are vying for the services of former Cronulla premiership-winner Michael Ennis to join their coaching staff as an assistant next season.

Ennis has spoken to both clubs about the prospect of becoming a full-time assistant coach for the first time in his post-playing career and could be on the move at the end of the season.

Manly had expressed interest in luring Blake Green back to the club as an assistant coach. Green, an assistant at the Knights, had been earmarked as a likely replacement for Flanagan when it seemed likely that Newcastle coach Adam O’Brien’s days were numbered.

With O’Brien cementing his future on the back of seven straight wins, Green is expected to remain at the Knights and attention has now turned to Ennis.

Flanagan has also reached out to the 39-year-old, who he coached for two seasons at the Sharks in 2015 and 2016.
Michael Ennis and Shane Flanagan could be reunited at the Dragons.

Michael Ennis and Shane Flanagan could be reunited at the Dragons.CREDIT: GETTY

He has already appointed Dean Young, who is Todd Payten’s No.2 at the North Queensland Cowboys, as his defence coach next year.
Flanagan could be on the lookout for a new attack coach given interim coach Ryan Carr has been sounded out about a potential job with Benji Marshall next year.

If Carr decides to join Marshall as his assistant next year, Flanagan is keen to reunite with Ennis at the Dragons. Ennis played 24 games for the Dragons back in 2005.

Ennis’ name has also been floated as a potential option for the NSW State of Origin head coaching job if incumbent Brad Fittler is moved on or decides to call it a day.
Ennis and Flanagan embrace after the Sharks won the 2016 grand final against Melbourne.

Ennis and Flanagan embrace after the Sharks won the 2016 grand final against Melbourne.CREDIT: GETTY

He previously worked with the NSW under-19s, forming a close relationship with the likes of Tyrell Sloan, Josh Schuster and the off-contract Bradman Best.

He also works at Fox Sports as a commentator and may have to juggle his media commitments with football.

Ennis, who played 273 games across five different NRL clubs, returned to the Sharks this year in a part-time capacity to head up the club’s elite academy to implement the systems and structures that are being taught by Craig Fitzgibbon at NRL level.

He is responsible for overseeing the development of the dozen or so players aged between 15 and 18 in the club’s elite program.
Josh Reynolds hugs Michael Ennis after what turned out to be his last game for the club, missing the 2014 grand final through injury.

Josh Reynolds hugs Michael Ennis after what turned out to be his last game for the club, missing the 2014 grand final through injury.CREDIT: GETTY

Part of his job is also teaching the coaches about the way Fitzgibbon wants Cronulla teams to play from Harold Matthews right through to the NRL to help make the transition easier for players.

Ennis has had stints working with the Raiders and Eels since he retired from playing in the NRL back in 2016 following the Sharks’ triumph over the Storm in the grand final.
Clowns pretending to be first-graders: Demetriou apologises for ‘accidental’ like
Ennis worked with the Raiders attack between 2019 and 2021, contributing towards a grand final and preliminary final appearance during his tenure.

He then joined the Eels in 2022 as the ruck consultant coach, playing his part in the club’s run to the grand final against Penrith.

There could be a number of assistant coaches moving in the off-season. South Sydney coach John Morris has been discussed as a potential assistant for Marshall at the Tigers, who are considering the idea of parting with defence coach David Furner.

Sacked Gold Coast Titans coach Justin Holbrook will also join Trent Robinson at the Sydney Roosters.

This morning:
583A6CED-3E2D-476A-9AF8-F09A645E4EB3.jpeg

F021ECF3-4092-4225-B33E-3D7FA2E792AF.jpeg
6B20E816-7387-4593-B47D-F910FBEE8641.jpeg

For The Wheel: I spotted a few bad cracks in the concrete in the JT Stand where it joins the KA Stand on the playing field side. That looked like spalling/concrete cancer. And another up in the L-M Stand (from about where the last photo was taken).

The powers that be probably already know, but I thought it might be worth a mention.

This morning:
View attachment 24754
View attachment 24755View attachment 24756
For The Wheel: I spotted a few bad cracks in the concrete in the JT Stand where it joins the KA Stand on the playing field side. That looked like spalling/concrete cancer. And another up in the L-M Stand (from about where the last photo was taken).

The powers that be probably already know, but I thought it might be worth a mention.
Concrete cancer, definitely a reason for a knock down and rebuild 🙏

This morning:
View attachment 24754

Geez it would be a nice looking stadium if it was to be surrounded with the new stands like the Bob Fulton stand

I'm prepared to come out of retirement ... and fight anyone that says it's not the best looking ground in the world just the way it is.
Brookie looks superb (mind you the weather enhances it). It reminds me of the saying "all dressed up and nowhere to go" (i.e. despite looking awesome, not being used) lol.

This morning:
View attachment 24754

Don’t say that, the council will condemn it and we will be playing out of Gosford

Brookie looks superb (mind you the weather enhances it). It reminds me of the saying "all dressed up and nowhere to go" (i.e. despite looking awesome, not being used) lol.
It’s so underrated Tge experience at small venues and closeness to the players. Suncorp is s great venue up here. It honestly I’d take small venues any day of the week. Just the last couple of days I’ve been taking my boy to the local first grade T20 max cricket at a local oval (Ian Healy Oval, Bris north side) as a number of Heat and Aus players are playing. My son was casually having a chat with Matty Renshaw and giving him a ribbing about not opening for Aus yet and then in the outer trying to catch sixes all the while chatting to the players in the outfield. It’s so good, free and craft beer on tap (for any local Bris cricket fans).

4Pines Super Stadium this afternoon:
Thank You Tezza for the those Eerie Nostalgic Images of our Inspirational Spiritual Home Ground
That Inspired Our Great Premiership Winnings Manly Men to Great Victories and Made Manly the Premier and most Envied club .

We Must Honour once again our Grand stands our Hill our Home turf and our Legendary clubs colours
that have been proudly bathed in Reflected Premiership Wining Glory by all players and fans
and Live up to our Legendary clubs Benchmark of excellence

Lower our Legendary clubs Great Standards and We stand for Nothing Great
1693001245039.png

I'm prepared to come out of retirement ... and fight anyone that says it's not the best looking ground in the world just the way it is.
You are far from retired at Manly Woodsie
You are still passionately and proudly contributing to the Manly cause

22nd player if you include Bob Batty, who is recognised by several sources as having played more than 200 FG premiership games.

I pointed this out only a few weeks ago.

And why is a Goosters’ life member (Katzmann) raising this issue anyway? I notice his list misspells Max Krilich’s surname.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8