Collingwood supporter pulled out for racist remark

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Brissie Kid said:
A 13 year old schoolgirl.

I agree with BK on this.

She should not be of named or her identity disclosed.

For godsake she said something wrong, what a massive crime.

A 17 year old can rape and kill a pensioner and their name is suppressed and identity is protected even if found guilty.

The attackers of Goodes are showing their true redneck racial prejudice colours.

And after Goodes appeals to not make the 13 year old the scapegoat for the attitudes she's learnt, what do Murdoch press do? Publish her photo. Incomprehensible irresponsibility.

bob dylan said:
Brissie Kid said:
A 13 year old schoolgirl.

I agree with BK on this.

She should not be of named or her identity disclosed.

For godsake she said something wrong, what a massive crime.

A 17 year old can rape and kill a pensioner and their name is suppressed and identity is protected even if found guilty.

A 56 yo can rape and abuse a 14yo and his name is suppressed. If you commit crimes of that nature that if their name was made public you would be subject to attack they will suppress it to protect them. now thats not a perfect system.

knew it wouldn't be long before all the do-gooders start sticking up this 'poor unfortunate little girl'

shouldn't matter what their age, if they want to be racist, it needs to be stamped out asap! the earlier the better if you ask me!

so what if her age was 15, 17, 19 or even 33 etc...
when does it become ok to make an example of them?

wake up to yourselves!

I saw Goodes being compared to Martin Luther King in an article the other day. Sums it all up really, massive overreaction.

Seems some people won't be happy until the girl tops herself.

Brookie said:
knew it wouldn't be long before all the do-gooders start sticking up this 'poor unfortunate little girl'

shouldn't matter what their age, if they want to be racist, it needs to be stamped out asap! the earlier the better if you ask me!

wake up to yourselves!

What if she was 10, 8, 6 or even 4 years old?

Volley said:
I saw Goodes being compared to Martin Luther King in an article the other day. Sums it all up really, massive overreaction.

Seems some people won't be happy until the girl tops herself.

Brookie said:

wake up to yourselves!

What if she was 10, 8, 6 or even 4 years old?

i don't really give a f**k their age, better to stamp it out as early as possible. for me there is still some hope for this 13yo, get them young and teach them its not right.

so to all the do-gooders, what should be do with this guy:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/another-collingwood-supporter-caught-shouting-racist-remarks-during-afls-indigenous-round/story-e6frg6n6-1226650754865

Maybe match review committees will have to extend their scope to include the crowd and their behaviour.

lsz said:
I must be reading it a different way

I thought goodes was saying the girl is a victim and the bigger issue is the society where she learnt this

If that is the case I have to agree - a place where a 13 year old girl hears this and thinks it is acceptable needs to be questioned

Goodes only started not blaming the girl some time on Sunday. By then the girl had well and truly been made a public kicking bag.

Reading this below I can only be thankful I don't support AFL or live in Victoria. What a bizarre bubble.

THE family of the 13-year-old girl at the centre of the Adam Goodes racism scandal are still distressed over her treatment by MCG security and Victoria Police.

The Collingwood fan called Goodes an "ape" with only minutes to go in Friday night's Indigenous Round game and was ejected from the MCG after a long grilling by police.

The teen has since apologised for "being racist".

The girl told the Sunday Herald Sun she will now "think twice", as she did not realise her denigrating comment was a racial slur.

This morning, her mother, Joanne, told 3AW radio that her daughter was doing OK, but she was still concerned about her treatment by security.

"She's not doing too bad considering everything that’s happened," Joanne said.

"I would like her to get on with her life basically."

MCG security told her family to remain seated as they ejected the girl - and police detained her for what she said was two hours.

The teenager was initially questioned by police without an adult present. When police found out she was only 13, they went and got her grandmother, Lucy.

Joanne said today that she believed her daughter was "very scared" when she was taken away by security.

"It was ridiculous that she was in there for so long. For two hours they interviewed her over her saying, 'You're an ape'," her mother told the Sunday Herald Sun.

"I hope it's done and dusted. I think it was blown out, for a 13-year-old, it was blown out of proportion. I think she would take it back if she could. I'd just like to apologise to Adam for it being said and apologise to the Collingwood Football Club."

Lucy said her granddaughter, who has only just turned 13, was crying in the police room.

The police officer told me she had been "very honest with us", Lucy told 3AW.

"So to me that means that they had already questioned her without a guardian."

Lucy said she initially didn't go with her granddaughter because she had two other granddaughters, aged 14 and 15, to look after.

"They shouldn’t have questioned her in the first place without me and security shouldn't have taken her away on her own, they should have taken us all," Lucy said.

Joanne agreed that people should forgive and forget, and that her daughter "had no intention of hurting Adam".

"It's not as if she swore at him," Joanne told 3AW.

"She had no idea that that was what he was called at high school, so that’s a big part of it I think as well. I think Adam still has a few problems about what’s happened in his childhood."

The visibly upset Swans star stormed off the ground after the slur, leaving the rest of his team to celebrate a 47-point win.

In an open letter to Goodes given to the Sunday Herald Sun, the girl apologised for "being racist".

"Dear Adam, it was good to talk to you on the phone. I'm sorry for being racist.

"I didn't mean any harm and now I'll think twice before I speak."
Goodes said earlier he was shattered but did not blame the teen.

'Racism had a face ... and it was a 13-year-old girl - but it's not her fault," Goodes said.

The teen girl spoke to Goodes and Magpie president Eddie McGuire on the phone to apologise for her actions.

Goodes explained to the teen why the use of the word "ape" was insulting to indigenous people and she had to learn from her mistake.

The family says a gracious McGuire told the teen she was still part of the Collingwood family.

McGuire says she will be welcomed back to Collingwood matches.

The Magpies president was angered and saddened at Friday night's events, but that "evolution, not revolution" was vital in alleviating future racism.

"We've organised counselling services ... for her, her friends and family and we won't be abandoning her," McGuire said.

"We want her to know it's side by side we stick together. You made a blue, but we all do. We're a forgiving club, and we want to make sure that she feels she can come to the football and help her get through this situation.

"I'm sure Adam Goodes will help us in our pursuits.

"It's really important, though, that we remember she's a young girl and not to walk away from education rather than humiliation."

AFL boss Andrew Demetriou described the incident as "extremely disappointing".

Witnesses say angry footy fans booed the girl as she was led from her front-row seat by MCG security.

Nearby spectator James Molony, 23, said the crowd lost interest in the football after the taunt, focusing their energy instead on an "extremely vocal" reaction with lots of swearing.

"It was extremely abusive and on both sides; not just the Sydney supporters, but the Collingwood supporters as well," he said.

"You could see she couldn't get out of the stadium fast enough."

Collingwood ruckman Darren Jolly reportedly comforted Goodes, telling him: "Please don't let one person ruin your leadership this week."

Salvation Army Major Brendan Nottle, who acts as Collingwood's chaplain, said he had offered to talk to the girl and her family to help them cope with social media backlash.

"There absolutely has to be zero tolerance towards that sort of behaviour, but at the same time the girl is 13," he said.
- with Emily Portelli, Jessica Evans and Mark Hayes

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/breaking-news/teenage-girl-apologises-for-racist-insult-in-letter-to-adam-goodes/story-e6frfkp9-1226650580225#ixzz2UTFTuAcj

Your compassion for the poor young brat girl who abused Goodes is inspiring.
I'm sure you are equally concerned for young Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island kids, who may also have to put up with the odd good-natured jibe about being apes.
By the way, do you think the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island kids realise that, statistically, they (along with all their brothers & sisters, cousins, as well as their own future kids) are far more likely than white kids to suffer from diabetes and other health problems; to spend time in jail; be employed less, and on lower wages; be less healthy; less educated; less likely to own their home; probably die younger; etc etc etc? Oh well, I guess they just didn't get the rub of the green for the last couple hundred years.

http://www.humanrights.gov.au/publications/2012-face-facts-chapter-1#Heading142

If you grow up in a non racist environment how would you know that calling a aboriginal an ape is a racist comment?

Its not something i learnt until i was a teenager.

Well said SER!! As her mum said, It's not as if she swore at him," Joanne told 3AW.

That's definitely interesting logic and not swearing at him is better?? The family is digging themselves further INTO THE MESS they caused. She has learnt a terrible lesson but it will be a stark reminder to all people that swearing and racism isn't acceptable.

Maybe Adam doesn't want to be called racist stuff either and get on with his life.

Brookie said:

wake up to yourselves!

But if you're 19 or 33,you're an adult!You can vote,drink,smoke,etc.A 13 yo is considered a minor.They dont get the same priveleges in society as the rest of us,as they are considered not mature enough.It's the PARENT'S rersponsiblity to monitor/control/act for,the minor.Remember that EVIL concept....."PARENTAL RESPONSIBILITY"!!

Fluffy, surely you don't believe the 13 year old school educated girl didn't know better? You need to get into the local school and find out about the teaching programs on racism and tolerance. We start teaching about this type in Year One.

Her previous teachers must be full of anguish probably thinking of all the lessons they taught this to her. She chose to say it and unfortunately paid the consequences.

I've taught many a 13 year old girl. By that age they are very aware racism, know right from wrong, and understand consequences.
Racism is simply unacceptable.
It must be stamped out in order that we have a truly free and equal society. At this point we do not.
I am saddened by some of the remarks on here. Please don't confuse the fact that it was a 13 year old girl with the fact that one of Aboriginal Australia's finest was compared to a species which cannot walk standing up.

Darren said:
Fluffy, surely you don't believe the 13 year old school educated girl didn't know better? You need to get into the local school and find out about the teaching programs on racism and tolerance. We start teaching about this type in Year One.

Her previous teachers must be full of anguish probably thinking of all the lessons they taught this to her. She chose to say it and unfortunately paid the consequences.

I certainly did not "know better" at that age, guess I wasn't in a racist enough area. As I said it depends on exposure in order to know what exactly is racist and what is just some crowd heckel she heard at the footy.

Am I a racist for calling a bloke a Gorilla because he is hairy?

No Fluffy. The point of the ape remark is that it is calling an entire race of people sub-human. Why so hard to understand? Why not just think to yourself "well, they're offended, so it mustn't be OK'?

Fluffy said:
Am I a racist for calling a bloke a Gorilla because he is hairy?
I asked my gorilla and he said yes and that he'll rip your arms off if there's any more of that nonsense.

My 12 year old daughter turns 13 next month and people think she is 18 now (I blame the hormones in chicken) so in the heat of battle looking up into the crowd with sweat in his eyes how could Goodes be able to tell her age.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
Budgewoi, unfortunately racism is ingrained in many and education will only go so far. Some people just can't see it as that and that's about it. The other Collingwood supporter calling them black was another example of "not knowing" or not really caring less.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6