Compo player??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
While others teams are trading players we sit here with compo cash available to sign a back and crickets.
Now Tippy is out and our depth is not great.

FMD we should have gone after someone while we were in a good spot, now we are desperate. Call lube mobile.

I think Gus has signed anyone that has played a minimum of 1 nrl game. Listening to Vossy run thru the amount of players he’s signed, it did get me thinking "where’s ours?" Or is the well dry?

I expect the club have forward loaded one or more players’ contracts wth the $350k compensation & are content to use players we already have to fill the gap.

I expect the club have forward loaded one or more players’ contracts wth the $350k compensation & are content to use players we already have to fill the gap.
As usual with NRL, it's as clear as mud, but I'd be very surprised if the scheme can be used that way.
This is how it was described at the time it came in:
“If a hooker goes down we expect a hooker to be signed and if an outside back goes down it will have to be an outside back,” Gardham said.

This article also uses the wording 'salary cap exemption' meaning a club can spend that money on a replacement player and that money won't count in the salary cap.... but it doesn't explicitly say the NRL will pay the club that amount of money.

No idea what that means, but it appears to leave open the possibility of a pauper club (or one owned by a cheapskate) to simply say, 'nah that's OK we'll carry on with what we have', rather than fork out money from the club's pocket.

As usual with NRL, it's as clear as mud, but I'd be very surprised if the scheme can be used that way.
This is how it was described at the time it came in:
“If a hooker goes down we expect a hooker to be signed and if an outside back goes down it will have to be an outside back,” Gardham said.

This article also uses the wording 'salary cap exemption' meaning a club can spend that money on a replacement player and that money won't count in the salary cap.... but it doesn't explicitly say the NRL will pay the club that amount of money.

No idea what that means, but it appears to leave open the possibility of a pauper club (or one owned by a cheapskate) to simply say, 'nah that's OK we'll carry on with what we have', rather than fork out money from the club's pocket.
My knowledge of the cap relief is that it comes out of the clubs $$ and not from the NRL.So what are the chances of Manly spending that money on someone that is likely to be no better than anything the club already has,that will likely be at the club for a short time and want to come to the club on the slight chance of a finals appearance.
As for those mentioning the Dogs,who have they signed that Manly would really want that wouldn’t cost a fortune?

Garrick is as good as anyone the club realistically could have brought in. Your never going to replace a turbo full stop. But imagine that you could and what is the chance such a player would want to join a club for a 6 month $350k contract? No turbo for half a season is a huge disadvantage. If the club can't swing it to have an extra $350k next year, then there is just no compensation here. Is there?

Could’ve signed Sam fainu as a centre (he debuted as one) as Garrick was a centre playing wing who moved to fullback to cover turbo.

Oh that’s right.

If we let the chance to build depth outside the cap fritter away to nothing we really are operating very poorly

Nothing would surprise me.

Kyle Felt from Nth QLD, out of favour at the moment and would be great 6 week cover, would help out Nth QLD cap as well lending player for rest of the season
Doubt the Cowboys would allow this, especially now that Holmes will receive 3-4 weeks suspension.

Kyle Felt from Nth QLD, out of favour at the moment and would be great 6 week cover, would help out Nth QLD cap as well lending player for rest of the season
Probably not now Homes looks like spending time out.

Garrick is as good as anyone the club realistically could have brought in. Your never going to replace a turbo full stop. But imagine that you could and what is the chance such a player would want to join a club for a 6 month $350k contract? No turbo for half a season is a huge disadvantage. If the club can't swing it to have an extra $350k next year, then there is just no compensation here. Is there?

A player willing to change clubs for the back end of the season would most likely want to be signed for next year too, if we don't have the roster space or $$ then it won't happen.

I'd assume that we approached the Tigers and Roosters about releasing Talau or Paulo early as they are coming next year but aside from that I don't know what else they could realistically do.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8