Congratulations Tony Williams on a good season.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Dan link said:
Rex
http://stats.rleague.com/rl/teams/manly/manly2009_sc.html

they are not \"made up\" stats.
Rleague keep all these records every year for every team. They are a great source of facts. Hard to argue with that point now hey?
Not made up, Dan?  Actually, codewana has now admitted the stats he provided were false.

So codewana's calculation - the core of his thesis - that David Williams had a better scoring rate than T-Rex was actually untrue.  nést pas? Which may explain the desperation for the rather feeble smokescreen "Lyon doesn't set up winger tries from 5/8th" and that Lyon covered a couple of games there last year because of injuries.

codewana omitted - presumably because it didn't fit his argument, that T-Rex scored 9 tries from 12 games last year - a scoring rate of .75 which exceeded Wolfman's (11/18) .61 by some margin, and compared not too unfavourably with Snake's amazing .83 rate.

Putting things in perspective, T-Rex is just 21 and was pushed out of the position identified for him, and for which he trained all off-season, onto the right wing most of this year to cover for David Williams not actually getting onto the park once again.  For all his talents, Wolfman plays about half of his games on the injured bench, which you may recall was why Parra dumped him to park football without a contract. I enjoy the theatre of watching him play, but realistically, he would have played zero rep football without both the media's love affair with the Wolfman beard persona and Manly's grand final win.

Rex link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=185289.msg293940#msg293940 date=1284292688]
Rex

Rleague keep all these records every year for every team. They are a great source of facts. Hard to argue with that point now hey?
Not made up, Dan?  Actually, codewana has now admitted the stats he provided were false.

So codewana's calculation - the core of his thesis - that David Williams had a better scoring rate than T-Rex was actually untrue.  nést pas? Which may explain the desperation for the rather feeble smokescreen "Lyon doesn't set up winger tries from 5/8th" and that Lyon covered a couple of games there last year because of injuries.

codewana omitted - presumably because it didn't fit his argument, that T-Rex scored 9 tries from 12 games last year - a scoring rate of .75 which exceeded Wolfman's (11/18) .61 by some margin, and compared not too unfavourably with Snake's amazing .83 rate.

Putting things in perspective, T-Rex is just 21 and was pushed out of the position identified for him, and for which he trained all off-season, onto the right wing most of this year to cover for David Williams not actually getting onto the park once again.  For all his talents, Wolfman plays about half of his games on the injured bench, which you may recall was why Parra dumped him to park football without a contract. I enjoy the theatre of watching him play, but realistically, he would have played zero rep football without both the media's love affair with the Wolfman beard persona and Manly's grand final win.
[/quote]
TREX in actuality completed 26 - 27 games, which means his stats are far worse than Wolfmans

LAY THE **** OFF HIM YOU MORONS,, I`D RATHER HAVE TREX 2010 FORM THEN THE FORM HE DISPLAYED IN 09, IF HE IMPROVES EVERY YEAR ITS WORKING,  & I DONT KNW WHY ROBBO WASNT  ON HIS WING  WHEN HE GAVE THAT PASS, THAT WAS A DEADSET  TRY  BLOWN BY ROBBO,  TREX HAD ATTRACTED 4 DEFENDERS GOT A BALL AWAY  TO AN UNMARKED CORRIDOR , ONLY TO FUKN FIND ROBBO  DOWN THE BACK WITH FARRAR  FOR SOME DUMB REASON INSTEAD OF BEING ON HIS WING..

jjai link said:
LAY THE f**k OFF HIM YOU MORONS,, I`D RATHER HAVE TREX 2010 FORM THEN THE FORM HE DISPLAYED IN 09, IF HE IMPROVES EVERY YEAR ITS WORKING,  & I DONT KNW WHY ROBBO WASNT  ON HIS WING  WHEN HE GAVE THAT PASS, THAT WAS A DEADSET  TRY  BLOWN BY ROBBO,  TREX HAD ATTRACTED 4 DEFENDERS GOT A BALL AWAY  TO AN UNMARKED CORRIDOR , ONLY TO FUKN FIND ROBBO  DOWN THE BACK WITH FARRAR  FOR SOME DUMB REASON INSTEAD OF BEING ON HIS WING..

No need to shout.

It's clear some like him some don't

We all agree he has something, but just doesn't live up to it. of course his performance this year was an improvement he played every game, last year he played a handful in patches!

Personally I don't think he has a footballers brain, he can't read the game too well and just runs on impulse rather than anything else.

His massive size is his biggest asset but his biggest downfall is his inability to read the game.

He runs poor lines and angles, and that is a massive concern for me. If you put him in the backrow, I can't see him magically all of a sudden learning how to run the right angles.

Players like Glenn Stewart, Choc and even greater Beaver know which angle to run and how to find and his a hole.

Williams will be far less effective at bowling over forwards than he is at outside backs and we could see him go considerably backwards if he were to move into the backrow

I cant believe the crap T Rex cops - some players are just automatic targets and half of our supporters have it in for the poor bloke.  Yes he makes mistakes , but we have a so called international forward on squillions who makes 3 times as many every game. I for one reckon T rex had a dig this whole year and especially yesterday he took heaps of hit ups in the first half.

Laugh if you like but I reckon he was one of our most consistent players all year - this bloke should be signed up to a longer contract and his best football is coming next year and the years after when he plays his right positions.  It would be a tragedy if we let go of him now.

Never seen a player who polarises opinion like him - There is gonna be some massive egg on faces in future about him.. one way or the other. .

The Indian link said:
Never seen a player who polarises opinion like him - There is gonna be some massive egg on faces in future about him.. one way or the other. .

First, have you never heard of Jye Mullane?

second, I hope we end up with egg on our faces, that would be brilliant because it means the guy is going great and the team is winning. However at this point that is not the case

Dan link said:
[quote author=Rex link=topic=185289.msg294038#msg294038 date=1284323559]
Rex

[/quote]
TREX in actuality completed 26 - 27 games, which means his stats are far worse than Wolfmans
[/quote]

Hahaha.

When you think the stats support your argument you say they are provided by a source that "doesn't make up the stats" and say they "can't be argued with".  Then when the stats are shown to oppose your argument, you suggest the stats are inaccurate, can't be relied upon and you argue with them.  To replace them you then make up your own new stats from thin air and say those made-up stats are more reliable.

You do comedy Dan?

Rex link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=185289.msg294070#msg294070 date=1284330245]
[quote author=Rex link=topic=185289.msg294038#msg294038 date=1284323559]
Rex

[/quote]
[/quote]

Hahaha.

When you think the stats support your argument you say they are provided by a source that "doesn't make up the stats" and say they "can't be argued with".  Then when the stats are shown to oppose your argument, you suggest the stats are inaccurate, can't be relied upon and you argue with them.  To replace them you then make up your own new stats from thin air and say those made-up stats are more reliable.

You do comedy Dan?
[/quote]

No they just haven't updated the last 2 rounds yet Rex, you aren't that thick really?

You only have to watch 'The Beast' play for the Warriors to realise how good T-Rex could be. But he either doesn't have the stamina, the heart or the football brains, to realise it. After two years of hoping he'd become an 80-minute player he disappoints four matches out of five. Ironically, he had a great game against 'The Beast'. But that was four matches ago.
I'm over him.
If he is playing out of position and should be in the forwards then that's our coaches fault. But as soon as you dare to criticise Des on here for selections you get howled down.

second, I hope we end up with egg on our faces, that would be brilliant because it means the guy is going great and the team is winning. However at this point that is not the case
[/quote]

Jye Mullane ?? I remember him but he was very easy to forget and dont see how he polarised opinion .. the verdict on him as I recall was pretty much universally negative... I dont think Jye's parents or his other relatives or even the town drunk ever thought he was anywhere near being a good first grader.  With good cause.

The Indian link said:

Jye Mullane ?? I remember him but he was very easy to forget and dont see how he polarised opinion .. the verdict on him as I recall was pretty much universally negative... I dont think Jye's parents or his other relatives or even the town drunk ever thought he was anywhere near being a good first grader.  With good cause.

[/quote]

Perhaps you need a history lesson of Silvertails. We were born back in the Jye Mullane days and let me tell you, he polarized many many many people.

My (accidental) misquote of the number of tries scored still didn't change the results all that much. Sure, his strike rate improved (to 0.03 tries per game more), but unfortunately I can't find any stats showing how many tries he let in. I've rarely seen him make a trysaving tackle too. I do remember David Williams running almost the entire length of the field (an across it too) to successfully stop a try last year or the year before. Remember that? I understand Tony wouldn't have had the pace for a feat like that, but even if he did, does the enthusiasm he displayed this and last season suggest he'd even bother?

I'll say my view again. He is a **** winger. He is young so I'd like to see him playing in the correct position. Until he is in the pack Oldfield deserves his number 5 jersey (whenever wolfman or robbo are out).

Forget all this nonsense about stats. They lie (including the one that said our only 'line break' yesterday was by George Rose). Do they list how many tries he let in by being too slow, out of position or disinterested?
Hoppa Snr didn't score that many tries, but he was invaluable as another forward and inspiring fellow players. T-Rex should be doing that.
If he had a crack then he'd become a cult hero among we fans. But he's too lazy to gain the admiration and respect he is capable of receiving.

Shane link said:
If he continues his improvement at current rate

He will be the best player in the NRL by 24 years of age

He'd also be scoring fewer tries (0.75 per game in '09 and 0.64 this year).

PUT HIM IN THE FORWARDS!

Dan link said:

OK Dan, let's play your scenario out.  Taking your outer figure of 27 games, the difference would be less than .02 in a season where our attack deteriorated once again.

So comparing apples with apples.  Last season:

Wolfman 11/18 = .61
T-Rex      9/12 = .75

So if a .02 difference in your words equates to "far worse", then what does .14 equate to Dan?
Wolfman is far, far, far, far, far, far, far worse? (7 fars)?

I know you must think last year's figure for T-Rex are unfair to him because you say playing outside Lyon on the right wing is this huge advantage to Wolfman whereas T-Rex played on the left outside Matai, replacing Robbo who moved to fullback.  For comparison, outside Matai, this year Robbo scored 11 from 27 = .41, or far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, worse than T-Rex? (12 fars)?

And in terms of value for money, should Wolfman's paycheck be halved given his fragility means he is only available to play half the games of hardier men like Robbo and T-Rex? :)

Playing with you is entertaining Dan.

codewana link said:
[quote author=Shane link=topic=185289.msg294208#msg294208 date=1284347324]
If he continues his improvement at current rate

He will be the best player in the NRL by 24 years of age

He'd also be scoring fewer tries (0.75 per game in '09 and 0.64 this year).

PUT HIM IN THE FORWARDS!
[/quote]

Apply that identical progression to Wolfman and he's far more value to us next year on the injury bench. :)

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8