Croker - Honest opinions need apply

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
There was a lot to like. Reminded me a bit of a debut a number 7 had in 2011 in Melbourne and look how that bloke turned out.

He defends solid and will be good for the run. I think we save the 800k and look at another prop.
We are bit light there after our starters

With this type of player, you have to slowly bring him along. You can't put him directly in the furnace like Barrett has done. He'd be ideal as our number 14 for a few seasons, to develop into a full time role. The problem is though, is that we have limited options (but I hope that's corrected very soon).

Not going to lie, he was MUCH better than I thought he'd be, but the kids out of his depth. The thought's of that Eels backline targeting him next week is scary. Or a team like The Storm or Roosters, kids going to get annialated.
Agree. He wasn't why we lost last night but against a gun team they'd cream him and with that that so goes any confidence of him and those around him

Does anyone really know what the problem with Hastings is?
I
Just
Don't
Get
It.
Theatre companies, opera companies, orchestras are renowned for divas, squabbles, all-out wars. Yet, they get through performances, having to rely completely on each other to give a great performance. The audience is never any the wiser.
Yet Hastings is supposed to be so difficult that these big, bloody, boofy blokes might be put off their games by his mere presence?
Please.
He scored two tries in the early game and generally played well and he has much more experience than the Canberra rookie.
Anybody?

NRL FOX .....

MANLY coach Trent Barrett says rookie five-eighth Lachlan Croker answered his critics in his first NRL game for the club in their golden-point loss to Newcastle.
The 21-year-old had plenty of involvement in his first competitive game for the Sea Eagles in place of the departed Blake Green, as he appeared to strike up a nice combination on the left edge with front-rower Martin Taupau. He also made a break of his own in Manly’s 19-18 loss, but accounted for five of the side’s handling errors in a problem that was systematic of the Sea Eagles’ attack at McDonald Jones Stadium on Friday.

“I thought he was good, especially defensively,” Barrett said. “He’s a tough little bugger. I thought he answered a lot of questions I didn’t have on him, but a lot of people did.

“I thought our attack was good. It will evolve over time. It’s hard to get any flow in your attack when you’re only completing at 67 per cent.”
The nephew of Canberra great Jason, Croker made his NRL debut for the Raiders in 2016 but never made a second appearance before moving to Manly in the off- season.

Meanwhile, Barrett was left to rue Manly’s poor completions post match, as they coughed up 14 errors, including a crucial Akuila Uate dropped kick in golden point.

It allowed the Knights to claim a repeat set, before Mitchell Pearce sent home his first field goal in Newcastle colours to claim the win.

The Sea Eagles also gifted the Knights a number of piggy-back penalties, rarely making Newcastle work it out of their own end despite winning the forwards battle for the most part.

There were positives, however, for the Sea Eagles

On return from last year’s season-ending knee injury, winger Jorge Taufua got through more than 225 metres and scored the team’s opening try. Youngster Brian Kelly also looked improved again at left centre, Jake Trbojevic offered plenty in attack as he regularly passed before the line and bench forward Kelepi Tanginoa went at more than 11 metres per run after impressing during the off-season.

“We didn’t give ourselves a big chance to win the game and we were still in it,” Barrett said.

“I can take a lot out of that knowing I’ve got a footy team that is going to rip in for each other and not give up.

“But we need to fix a few things with our ball control. I think we had two-three tries disallowed or balls dropped over the line, so it could have went either way. We won some of them last year. They’re hard to take.”

There is a lot to like about Crocker. He is strong and a good runner, very fast. Strong defence. Just need him to take a few more plays directing forwards and share the kicking. I'm sure it will come. He does play more like a 6, similar to DCE but that has positives as he is a good attacking player. Looks to run and also has great speed supporting players up the middle which will suit our style of attack once we all gel.

I think as the season progresses he will be more involved and take the heat off Daley. Also think Jake will be more and more involved like gifty was.

Hardly realised he was there, which I think is actually good for a debutant.

Didn't overplay anything, solid in D, missed less tackles than Joel "solid defence" Thompson.

Jury is still well out, but didn't do anything that screamed replace me.

Does anyone really know what the problem with Hastings is?
I
Just
Don't
Get
It.
Theatre companies, opera companies, orchestras are renowned for divas, squabbles, all-out wars. Yet, they get through performances, having to rely completely on each other to give a great performance. The audience is never any the wiser.
Yet Hastings is supposed to be so difficult that these big, bloody, boofy blokes might be put off their games by his mere presence?
Please.
He scored two tries in the early game and generally played well and he has much more experience than the Canberra rookie.
Anybody?
All I know is that Hastings is a 4 season NRL player with 45 games under his belt and Croker who played just one NRL game back in 2016 has come from nowhere to pull down his pants .
I have watched the replay of last nights game and the question I ask my self is Croker that much superior player than Hastings ?
I really dont think he is a superior player to Hastings at all .
What do you guys think ?

Interesting, I thought you said previously that people were over stating Green’s organising role and his influence on DCE and that it would be good for DCE to take on more organising this year?

I agree with your comments that DCE looked like a headless chook at times. I’ve always subscribed to DCE being more a runner/ play what is in front of him type (which still allows for a heap of try assists) - not the type of player that can really run a team around the park and direct the play.

Out of the players in the Comp, Cleary would be ideal for Cherry - he is the one we should be targeting if there is any chance we could afford him. Penrith will struggle to keep him if the current unrest remains.

Cleary is probably out of our price range, but boy wouldn’t he be perfect for us in more ways than one. If we were to go all in for a player - he would be my pick.

I think we have the right pack (if Tanginoa and Lane can play consistently like they did last night). Walker coming back will add spark - we just need the right half.
I did hold that opinion at one point but I think I was holding onto hope that Green would go and we would land Moylan...for that reason I think I was compelling myself to see the advantage of letting Green go...as it stands now, I think he was pretty important to the composure we played with last year. Having watched the Warriors beat Souths, Johnson had a blinder and played off-the-cuff whilst Green did the organising. It worked perfectly.

I don't think Croker is a bad footballer...he did OK last night....but I don't think he is style of player that DCE needs. A young rookie who sits back and just worries about his edge is not going to do DCE any favours. Chez needs a big, loud, commanding organiser with experience to free him up to play his natural game. Chez is a terrible organiser.

Part of me thinks it's his 2nd game, give him time, he could be the next Foran (who was a bit of nobody and then became something overnight). The other part of me sees him struggling all year, whilst Chez runs around like headless chook and we suffer a wasted season. I think Hastings might be a better organiser.

Hardly realised he was there, which I think is actually good for a debutant.

Didn't overplay anything, solid in D, missed less tackles than Joel "solid defence" Thompson.

Jury is still well out, but didn't do anything that screamed replace me.
With due respect and I dont mean to be a smart ass.....
Interesting view to think that its actually good for a debutant not to be noticed he was on the playing field .
My view is that if no one notices a player during the whole game means that the player had made very little if no impact in the game at all.
After watching last nights replay I can say that Croker made no impact on the game at all and we wont win too many games if DCE does not play alongside a more dominant 5/8 .
Just my opinion .

Certainly not the worst debut. He was solid enough and I’m happy to give him a couple of games to warm into the role. He was willing enough and didn’t seem overawed - worth persisting with IMO.

I did hold that opinion at one point but I think I was holding onto hope that Green would go and we would land Moylan...for that reason I think I was compelling myself to see the advantage of letting Green go...as it stands now, I think he was pretty important to the composure we played with last year. Having watched the Warriors beat Souths, Johnson had a blinder and played off-the-cuff whilst Green did the organising. It worked perfectly.

I don't think Croker is a bad footballer...he did OK last night....but I don't think he is style of player that DCE needs. A young rookie who sits back and just worries about his edge is not going to do DCE any favours. Chez needs a big, loud, commanding organiser with experience to free him up to play his natural game. Chez is a terrible organiser.

Part of me thinks it's his 2nd game, give him time, he could be the next Foran (who was a bit of nobody and then became something overnight). The other part of me sees him struggling all year, whilst Chez runs around like headless chook and we suffer a wasted season. I think Hastings might be a better organiser.
The bloke who wears our 6, needs to be the fellow who gets the best out of Chez. Crokers style is what had our turtle without his head on Friday night.

If Hastings played, I'd like to think we would have won that game. Croker on the bench is something to consider as is Fainu. Hastings goal kicking alone is massive advantage. Your right that Green further showed tonight that an organising kicker. Is all we need. That's Hastings.

Certainly not the worst debut. He was solid enough and I’m happy to give him a couple of games to warm into the role. He was willing enough and didn’t seem overawed - worth persisting with IMO.
Trent has proven to be a patient coach and I think Croker will a few more chances

The bloke who wears our 6, needs to be the fellow who gets the best out of Chez. Crokers style is what had our turtle without his head on Friday night.

If Hastings played, I'd like to think we would have won that game. Croker on the bench is something to consider as is Fainu. Hastings goal kicking alone is massive advantage. Your right that Green further showed tonight that an organising kicker. Is all we need. That's Hastings.
I tend to agree . Now you have to convince Trent . Good luck feathered friend !

You can't judge him in one game because it's not just about Croker it's the combination between, Croker, DCE and the Turbo's. Our pack out muscled their pack it'll take time. I wished they'd kept Watson at 5/8th because when Lamb came on the field they looked a far better. We should have won that game.

Our pack dominated theirs, yet we couldn't take advantage of it because DCE was forced to play a role that he has proven many times that he is not suited for. For all the good points about DCE, organising the team is the one part of his game that continues to let him (and the team) down.

I know it was only Croker's second ever first grade game, and his first with Manly, but if what we saw last night is any sort of indicator then we're in a bit of trouble right now. From what I saw Croker is a true 5/8, but what we need is a #7 who isn't shy about running the team on the park.

Its obvious Baz will persist with him in the role, but he's going to need to step up soon or it'll be 2016 all over again and I for one don't want to go through another half season like that where we are done before its half over.

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8