Croker - Honest opinions need apply

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Part of me thinks it's his 2nd game, give him time, he could be the next Foran (who was a bit of nobody and then became something overnight). The other part of me sees him struggling all year, whilst Chez runs around like headless chook and we suffer a wasted season. I think Hastings might be a better organiser.
I agree but what worries me is if we give him time, we haven't got the time to give, ie we may as well kiss 2018 goodbye now.

Also I have to admit I didn't notice Croker much and he therefore made no impact - not on me and, by the sounds of it, not on you.

I'm with you...we need Hastings at 6 sooner rather than later, before its too late!

Only watched small parts of the game but F%^$ me Daly needs to square up and play straight no matter who he has in the halves pairing.(There was enough go forward in the patches of the game i viewed to play straight with runners off each hip---he needs to marshal short options around him at all times otherwise he crabs around)

Daly has all the skills other than playing straight and square consistently.

At over a million a season and at his age and maturity playing straight and marshaling the troops into good running line options or moving up the paddock should be ingrained by now---this excuse of "he is an instinctive player" and needs an organizer is a cop out at times.

If Croker cant organise and take more action off of Daly then he needs to go or our seasons goes down the drain quicksmart.

I think we are using Croker as a BIT of a scapegoat here for our performance guys.
While his defence was good, he wasn't flashy at all and he only made one incisive run. His distribution was ok.

I'm sure this game was always planned to be a "feel yourself in" for him. Yeah, not ideal for us but probably essential for the team going forward. It was game 1 FFS.

17 errors and 3 penalties with the ball in hand really stifled our attacking and probably further instilled the need to "lets get settled in".

Rate him against the superhero duo opposition and he did pretty good really. What did Dogboy and Watson do? Nothing special, that's for sure.

If we made half the errors we did and they got half as many penalties marching them out of their 25, we would have won it by 20 points.

Cut the kid a bit of slack and give him a chance to find his feet.

I'll give him 2 more weeks. ;)

The best way to judge the success of Croker is to break down DCE's game...

Last night was a return to 2016 DCE...too many touches, trying too hard to make something happen and running around like a headless chook.

Green brought composure, was "on the ball" all of the time and directing the team around. Croker was solid, but he stayed on his edge and failed to command for the ball. We got told he was a genuine half who would direct the team, but he looks to me to be just a "no frills" hang on his own edge and wait, type of half.

We can't afford to go the same way as the Broncos and have a 6 and 7 that run the ball, but can't organise. I cringe when DCE does that running back and forth across thing...you'd never see Cronk or Thurston do that. It happens because Chez is not sure what he is supposed to be doing. It's being made up on the spot. That's a massive concern to me.
I don't remember dce being that bad at all. 2016 Chez was awkward to watch, against the Knights he appeared fine to me, little bit rusty. Had a slightly higher workload although once again it's rd 1, he'll get back into it. 2016 you could tell from the get go that he was directionless and lost, he didn't look lost. Always busy, and contributed to a plenty of slick attacking movements. Converted well (woo) and remained calm

Really don't see the statement link up

You know, don't get me wrong about Croker. I saw enough on Friday night to see that he will end up as a solid first grade 5/8. His defence was strong to the point that he didn't need Thompson to bail him out like a lot of back rowers have to do with their halves. And he does seem to have good skills. His composure could use work (that pop pass from the ground) but that will come the more first grade experience he gets.

He was far from the reason we lost on Friday night. But at the same time, his presence is most of the reason why Cherry was seen to revert to 2016. I just think he has been thrown in too deep, too soon. To expect someone with his almost complete lack of first grade experience to come in and confidently run the team is expecting too much of anyone. Even superstar players who were seen as special talents from their junior days like Laurie Daley, Brad Fittler and Darren Lockyer spent their first few seasons playing in other positions before being put into the halves full time.

I don't know what Hastings has done to get on the wrong side of the ledger, but I would still be more confident if he was the 5/8 (not to mention taking over the goal kicking). Croker should be getting his first grade experience coming off the bench as the utility where there isn't so much pressure to perform. Right now the kid is on a hiding to nothing.

As you said @Fluffy it was only his 2nd game and his first for us. But to expect him to come in and duplicate Green's role I feel is too much for his level of experience.

I for one have been saying all pre-season that if we didn't get any of the other halves we were chasing then Hastings should get first crack at 5/8 and that is simply because Croker lacks the experience and we know that Jackson can do it because he fits the bill with the style of half we (more to the point, DCE) need. I think Barrett has made a blunder by not easing the kid into it.

I'm not saying dump him but he should be coming off the bench, not the starting 5/8 expected to run the team.

I did hold that opinion at one point but I think I was holding onto hope that Green would go and we would land Moylan...for that reason I think I was compelling myself to see the advantage of letting Green go...as it stands now, I think he was pretty important to the composure we played with last year. Having watched the Warriors beat Souths, Johnson had a blinder and played off-the-cuff whilst Green did the organising. It worked perfectly.

I don't think Croker is a bad footballer...he did OK last night....but I don't think he is style of player that DCE needs. A young rookie who sits back and just worries about his edge is not going to do DCE any favours. Chez needs a big, loud, commanding organiser with experience to free him up to play his natural game. Chez is a terrible organiser.

Part of me thinks it's his 2nd game, give him time, he could be the next Foran (who was a bit of nobody and then became something overnight). The other part of me sees him struggling all year, whilst Chez runs around like headless chook and we suffer a wasted season. I think Hastings might be a better organiser.
Couldn’t agree more.

Only watched small parts of the game but F%^$ me Daly needs to square up and play straight no matter who he has in the halves pairing.(There was enough go forward in the patches of the game i viewed to play straight with runners off each hip---he needs to marshal short options around him at all times otherwise he crabs around)

Daly has all the skills other than playing straight and square consistently.

At over a million a season and at his age and maturity playing straight and marshaling the troops into good running line options or moving up the paddock should be ingrained by now---this excuse of "he is an instinctive player" and needs an organizer is a cop out at times.

The DCE we saw last night was the DCE who had Walker as his 5/8 partner for the first 10 games of 2016. He sucks at organising the attack but it was left to him to do that and as a consequence we saw the headless chook DCE re-appear.

For all of his good points as a player, that is the one aspect that really lets him down and its something that he has never been able to overcome. And it means that while he is at Manly, which is until he retires, his halves partner needs to be a Foran or Green type who will take charge of the team and allow Cherry to play his natural running game because if its left to him to run the team, God help us.

The problem is that Croker doesn't have the experience or confidence (yet) to be that take charge player.

I will say this though. While Croker is getting his experience and confidence at 5/8, because Baz will persist with him, he needs to get more help from Tom and Api.

I can see why he has only played one first grade game
We need to sign an experienced 5/8 now or our season is doomed.
We would be 0-2 after next week so Barrett will be under pressure again this early in the season

Trent has proven to be a patient coach and I think Croker will a few more chances
Too much patience and the season is gone. Why is a rookie cutting his teeth in the starting side when we have a goal kicking gun (Hastings) playing reserve grade and in top form. From the outside it looks like very poor decision making. Can’t blame Fulton anymore.

I think young Croker is a talented young footballer but he is not a first grade half or 5/8 yet. And he won’t be by next weekend either! He did well and deserves credit. I want to know why we are putting Croker under so much pressure announcing him as DCE’s long term partner far too soon. I feel sorry for Hastings, his non selection is bewildering. We had two brilliant players from the bench on Friday and two passengers (not their fault just not used appropriately). The old days of the bench players being reserves to be called upon only when someone is injured are long gone. It is a 17 man game and we should be picking the best 17 and using all of them.

I was under the impression that injuries played a major part in Croker being hindered in being in contention for some Raider"s top grade opportunities . Also having to displace Austin or Seizer for that matter is hardly a downgrade rating . Has junior Kangaroo credentials and obviously a good grounding , will be tested against probably Cory Norman next week and a lively Eels back line but he will be given some more time to consolidate his i st grade position and very hopefully he will show that he can deliver .

After watching the Newcastle game, Croker seems to have good passing skills. He now needs to gain confidence within himself and his team mates, especially DCE and start to take at least 50% of each set of six and control the play. Can Croker kick the ball in general play? If he can't, Ivam not sure how he is going to succeed in the NRL.

Trouble is, Croker and DCE get zero help from our hooker Api. He has little ball skills.

Last edited:
I don't remember dce being that bad at all. 2016 Chez was awkward to watch, against the Knights he appeared fine to me, little bit rusty. Had a slightly higher workload although once again it's rd 1, he'll get back into it. 2016 you could tell from the get go that he was directionless and lost, he didn't look lost. Always busy, and contributed to a plenty of slick attacking movements. Converted well (woo) and remained calm

Really don't see the statement link up
He ran across field a couple of times, stopped, turned and ran back to where he came from; not good at all. Play straight and direct!

He went for the hail Mary field goal in Golden Point; play to the corner and apply pressure.

He got caught with the ball in Golden Point when he was right in front of the post. He should have kicked the bloody thing regardless of how close the opposition were because any deflection would likely result in us getting the ball back and at best the ball goes over. He also wasn't standing deep enough.

I will never question his passion, desire or commitment, but he did not play a smart game and I am embarrassed whenever I see him crab back and forth across field. It's just about the dumbest thing a half can do in the NRL. It flies in the face of everything they train to do during the week.

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11
10 4 6 15 10