• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Spot on kiwi I have been to nearly every stadium and the hill at brooky is bettered by few for being close to the action

Sheik, "colorful" isn't this type of language. I don't want to get in a "morals" battle as everyone is different. The constant swearing like f off you bunch of c##ts, fa##ot, sl#ts, ars####e, poof###, whor## etc which i have regularly heard probably isn't acceptable for many families these days. I have a wife and 2 young girls and refuse to have them sit through that. It does offend some, not others. That language may be normal and daily for some, I'm a primary school teacher and the language out of some children usually sums up their parents and the way they speak. It's probably not their finest moment in life. The thing is, if you shouted that continually out on the street you'd probably get arrested.

The stands are half empty, I bought a ticket in Jane Try against Warriors and it was 55 bucks. Hard to justify to wife that price. If fans like me don't want to take families on the hill then do a cheaper stand ticket. I'd pay 70 bucks for a Menzies stand, give my little ones a seat when they get tired and away from the "colourful" language from the General patrons.

Living in Wollongong and now with a family can't justify a full season ticket as can't get to every game (sad). I have bought the 3 game membership with club/footy club extra.

Sheikheagle said:
Spot on kiwi I have been to nearly every stadium and the hill at brooky is bettered by few for being close to the action

I live 5mins down the road from a world class, 40,000 seater stadium, it doesn't compare to Brookie for me

true Cam but its long way away from the action compared to side on at the hill. Remember my last stint at ground level at end of ground, NSW Cup vs Dogs, Darcy Lussick scored 4 tries which i didn't really notice. :dodgy:;);)

I think some are missing the point. As I said I love sitting on the Hill and happy to pay for that experience as most of you guys are die hard supporters you will attend/pay whatever to support the team.

I assume most people on this forum attend Brooki oval without fail and the few that don't probably live a great distance away or have other committments.

Yes we want to sit near the side line and half way and pay $25 dollars or membership for the prevlidge to do so. We want to have the atmosphere that is on the hill. (although the swearing does get a bit much for the little ones at times). But we are the ones that are already going to the games. It's the other people like Darrens family, my mrs and others that go to a game and are turned off by the pricing of not only seating but food and drink and the poor facilities they get for that price..

To fans like us $25 dollars is nothing to sit and watch from the rowling Brooki Hill ( I hope they never get rid of it) But unfortunatly I feel we are a minority and in order to get the bigger crowds turning up to each Brookie game the clubs needs to look at pricing. Especially the beer, due to my weekly budget being low I could only get two beers last night,not happy.:D

I go to every match I can get to by car. I don't make interstate trips but will probably go up to Brisbane this season as a good mate of mine has moved up there.

I know Brooky is old & run down but as a venue to watch the footy really there is only a couple of stadiums to compare. Leichhardt oval is one & more modern but still good is Wollongong. All have hills.

Get in early take your rug - stake out your territory & you'll have a good time with space enough. I have taken my kids since they were around 5 & my boy is now 15. We have always sat on the hill except for when I get corporate tickets. Even then really I'd prefer to sit on the hill but the free food & drink swings it.

The "lingo" is colorful as always on the hill but you just have to make it clear that there are drunks & loud mouths at the footy & by no means do you think it would be acceptable for your kids to sink to that level. Having taken my kids there for the last ten years - they haven't developed into foul mouthed thugs (Yet).

:)

This game would never attract more than 15,000 against "Penrith" on a Friday night tv game during the Easter break. The only chance would be a well performing stand out Penrith team similar to the Penrith from the early 90's later into the season.

A sunny Sunday afternoon would generate a 16,000-16,500 with a good performing Manly side and a half decent Penrith side so mid 14's on the long weekend against a small supporter base and inconsistent performing team is to be expected.

The way i look at it on average your aiming for between 3-5% of your local population---i'm guessing Manly and surrounding suburbs is around 250,000-300,000. Adding a 1-2% on top of the local turnout with a good performing Sydney side with a large support base will generate your 18,000-21,000 crowd on a Sunday afternoon---occasionally reaching these heights on a Friday and Saturday night also.

Brookie is not the easiest place to get to with public transport---the bus from Wynyard is a long haul (people from out west would have to head off to the game straight after work.---(i know because i did it back in my late teens early 20's)

Bad facilities especially for night games.(too cold and uncomfortable for some families on the hill)

The long weekend families travel South and North for a short getaway.

The demographics of the area with high income small families or high income no kids leads itself to bigger fluctuations in crowds depending on time slot and performance of team. Manly's target market outside its local area are aspirational high achieving well mannered youths and adults with more rounded lifestyles not so reliant on one form of entertainment.

The advantage of having this type of support base is large disposable incomes that have the potential to generate good yields but you need decent comfortable facilities at the ground to make it easier to tap into this potential gold mine.

We all love Brookie but fact is it is a run down dinosaur that needs a upgrade badly. Yes you are close to the action etc etc but the fact is it is not 1980 anymore. We will not move forward financially if it is not given a complete overhaul. That includes losing the hill unfortunately.

Everyone is talking about sitting on the hill. Who sits? It's standing area. I can't sit down at the footy, it's just not right. I hate those ****ing plastic seat stadiums. You're trapped in your seat, having to trip over feet & handbags to get back to the aisle.

You say we lose people because of the way the ground is. Well if it became a **** stadium we'd lose some of the people that go now. The crowd wouldn't grow, it'd just change. Instead of a rollocking night out, it'd become a kiddy party. That's pretty weak.

Football is the place to vent your inner yob, it's the place to drop the last 30 IQ points for a couple of hours. That's what's great about it. Can the wowsers please leave it alone. You've ruined most things, don't try to turn the footy into a wiggles concert. Both have their place, compromise is not necessary.

Garts said:
We all love Brookie but fact is it is a run down dinosaur that needs a upgrade badly. Yes you are close to the action etc etc but the fact is it is not 1980 anymore. We will not move forward financially if it is not given a complete overhaul. That includes losing the hill unfortunately.

You lot are brainwashed idiots.

Progress does not equate to losing the hill. Get that out of your head for Christ's sake (it is his weekend after all).

Progress is increasing corpoate facilities & there's penty of room behind the hill & in the corners next to the current stands for that.

We got 34000 to the Warriors semi at SFS 3 years ago and surely that wouldn't have been more than 5000 warriors supporters. Everyone I walked past that night was decked out in maroon and white. I was there in 1985 at Brookie?? when we got 26/27000 in that game against Parra we had to win to make semis. It seems those crowds are past.

Duff said:
Everyone is talking about sitting on the hill. Who sits? It's standing area. I can't sit down at the footy, it's just not right. I hate those ****ing plastic seat stadiums. You're trapped in your seat, having to trip over feet & handbags to get back to the aisle.

You say we lose people because of the way the ground is. Well if it became a s**t stadium we'd lose some of the people that go now. The crowd wouldn't grow, it'd just change. Instead of a rollocking night out, it'd become a kiddy party. That's pretty weak.

Football is the place to vent your inner yob, it's the place to drop the last 30 IQ points for a couple of hours. That's what's great about it. Can the wowsers please leave it alone. You've ruined most things, don't try to turn the footy into a wiggles concert. Both have their place, compromise is not necessary.

Garts said:

You lot are brainwashed idiots.

Progress does not equate to losing the hill. Get that out of your head for Christ's sake (it is his weekend after all).

Progress is increasing corpoate facilities & there's penty of room behind the hill & in the corners next to the current stands for that.

Personally I love the hill but many do not. As I said it is not 1980 anymore Duff. I know you love the hill and would be happy for players to go around drink driving, pissing on shop fronts and carrying on with no punishment. To a extent I agree with all that but those day are gone. Unfortuneately times changes and we need to adapt to survive imo.

Put this into perspective, the Jane try Stand side on view sells out easily via memberships / corporates and regular sales at a full price of $50 per ticket.
Now the Jane try is getting extended 2 bays across shortly so it will have more capacity.

Fans on the hill are getting in for half that and arguabley getting a better view for half the price at $25. And if they are a member they are egtting it for $15... Seriously the club is basically giving away prime position viewing for next to nothing.

If they had another stand on the hill side and sitll had concourse / a bit of hill area in front of the stand they could easily sell more ticketed memberships / entice fair weather supporters to come sit in another stand with a decent view of the match as well as create some decent corporate boxes to keep the sponsors happy.

The biggest issue is not getting die hard fans to the game, it's getting people who don't come due to the crowding on the hill, the weather and poor facilites to come. As well as offer more premium corporate boxes, whilst the KA stand oens are nice it owuld be great to have some better corporate boxes from the side on view as the ones on the Jane try are tiny or jsut tennis boxes.

The only way to do this is make more under cover seating with a good view, fix the ageing facilites, make some permament food stalls and more of them (perhaps under a new stand) add more toilets (anyone stuck in the large qeues last night at half time?).

This is a dream list and won't happen unless some more funding is achieved, but if you believe Manly doesn't need better facilites soon to survive you are dreaming.

exactly Jonesy, die hards will always come, the 12-14000 of them, unfortunately that is a loss every home game or break even at best. We can't seem to attract many new recruits as our numbers have remained between 12-15 at very most. Problem is, don't forget, free kids tickets and discounted members in that. Not alot of cash is pouring in and we have 2-3 guys on 400 grand. Lots of people won't come back because of the facilities, the club knows this and have been desperate to get it fixed. Darren from Penrith pointed out fallen apart benches near FM stand. Just a very old and run down stadium. Just like Carlton's Princes park used to be. All the old timers used to say Carlton would go broke moving to the G, definitely didn't and Carlton ate well off with huge crowds flocking in to watch them. Also, if our "fans" said no more if we left Brookie then they aren't much anyway!! We will go anywhere to watch our team.

Remember the English Premier League before they mandated that all grounds had to be seated---it was stagnating financially and interest wise---then with all the redevelopments of the stadiums it became one of the more lucrative competitions in Europe and interest went through the roof.

We all love the nostalgia the hill offers---we all love the Sunny sunday afternoon picnic atmosphere with family and friends but in the end looking backwards repeats the past and more of the same. Prime positions such as the hill are taking up more membership spaces.

Yes we can keep the hill and build above for a halfway solution but ask most Parra supporters(basically most Sydney teams including Newcastle also) if they prefer to have the hill again and beyond the odd bit of looking back in fond memories most will say no after the introduction of seating.

The issue i believe with the bench seats is they can't do much to replace them as they are unsure what is underneath them, it could easily turn out to be a good couple of million dollars job. As it had been suggested to have concourse ticketed seats aroudn the edge liek they have at Kograh and most other grounds.

Darren said:
Not alot of cash is pouring in and we have 2-3 guys on 400 grand.

I am disappointed in you. You did not mention that a couple of those are injury prone. Anyway I am not sure what this has to do with the state of Brookie Oval. Maybe cashflow is poor but why mention this? We have a player bill of around $4 million per annum, we dont just pay 2 or 3 players.

So its agreed.

We need to extend the hill another 10m back and add 2 new toilet blocks at either end as well as 2 new beer stands at either end.

Sold.

Pearso said:
Build it and they will come

What if you build it and they still don't come? As someone said before, the Arko Stand was almost empty. Who says seats behind the hill will make it any better?

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6