Defence Under Toovey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
lsz said:
I would be interested to know how the boys are training ie are they training for the first game rather than the preseason

I'm not sure what u mean. But the boys are saying that the preseason has been hard from fitness perspective as ever.

I thought they went well for team that has only really played 20mins of footy before this game.

WAMF said:
HK_Eagle said:
WAMF said:
Let's be real? OK
Manly were always going to be underdone compared to Leeds. That was not a minor advantage its a bloody huge advantage.

yeah, it's conveniently huge when we got done, but wasn't so conveniently huge the last 3 years that NRL teams won lol

When we won the WCC in 09 it was a super huge effort, plus Burrow was out of the game after 10 odd minutes.
This year, he was pretty much the difference.
It doesn't matter which way you slice the cake, the Sea Eagles put in a pretty decent effort today. Just a little bit rusty but all in all if you look at it from a trial perspective, there is much to look forward too if we can get the best wing combo's happening.

hahaha, we had wingers today??? lol I give some latitude to wolf coming back from injury, but oldy??? he was playing for a first grade spot... did he actally touch the ba;; the whole game?

Thehill said:
Am I the only one who thought we played well? 1st game...

No. I thought we were excellent. Lacked a little in discipline and had little luck ie intercept try etc.

Cambo said:
Daniel said:
I am not too concerned, we looked very rusty and their defense was great, as well as them being allowed to slow the ruck down a fair bit and I think either their line speed was supersonic or they were leaving early but they were quick in wrapping us up.

They managed to wrap up Williams and contain his offload, and we made a few bad options in attack that cost us. Our kicking game was the worst I have seen for us since the heady days of Jye Mullane, with a few good kicks from Foran, but in general we let ourselves down.

When we started to click we looked good.
Now moving onto the season we just need a couple of games to click into gear again and we should do quite well.

Jason King has become a first class grub in my opinion and his "Co-captaincy", which I think is a farce anyway, should be stripped from him. Leading with an elbow when we are twenty out and on the first tackle is just unforgiveable. The guy has a massive melon on his shoulders, you would think there is a brain in there somewhere, wouldn't you?
I've copped s**t hear over the years for big almost as big a fan of his as kingy fan. But he was poor tonight. You gotta put it down to lack of game time. Your right though that elbow isn't the s**t u expect from the captain

I disagree he has been doing **** like this through most of the last year

Always dissappointing to lose & always easy in hindsight to say what went wrong or who misread a play ect.
Quite simply the opposition played better on the day.
The only way Toovey can be put in the same sentence as losing is the fact it will take time to gel with change.
By seasons end imo everyone will be singing Tooves praises but there will be some dust to settle as 1 would expect.
By round 4-5 the players will have enough runs on the board to play to any new structures & function more smoothly as a team.
Theres no more competitive man alive than G. Toovey - its up to the players to follow his passion for the Seaeagles all the way to another premiership in 2012.

HK_Eagle said:
I give some latitude to wolf coming back from injury, but oldy??? he was playing for a first grade spot... did he actally touch the ba;; the whole game?

Agree re Oldy. He did very little. Whare or Farrar would have offered more IMO.

WAMF said:
HK_Eagle said:
I give some latitude to wolf coming back from injury, but oldy??? he was playing for a first grade spot... did he actally touch the ba;; the whole game?

He did very little because the ball rarely found him. Matai held onto it at least twice when he should have passed it which would have given oldfield a shot at running down the line

Daniel said:
WAMF said:
HK_Eagle said:

He did very little because the ball rarely found him. Matai held onto it at least twice when he should have passed it which would have given oldfield a shot at running down the line
Top observation Dan. They also seemed to target wolfman with their kicks. Which was surprising he's normally pretty safe.

Wolf was solid first game back.

Daniel said:
WAMF said:
HK_Eagle said:

True but Robbo and Hoppa didn't wait for the ball to get out to them. They rolled their sleeves up and helped out with the tough stuff. This is why I was a bit critical of Oldy. He kind of did the bare minimum.

Exactly right Cambo but it was good coaching, and I would keep my eye on him as a coach. Wolfman hasnt played since August, shocking weather and a hostile crowd, he was always going to be worried about his neck. He did well but was always going to eventually make a mistake. He was an obvious target.

Our attack only gelled once for about 5 - 10 minutes and was let down by Kingy who single handedly broke our momentum, when a cool head would have had us score and go on to win the game with the momentum we had.

I think the thing that is clearest is that we are rusty, this game will cost our season a little, because we are going to be a few games behind everyone else in catching up and jet lagged. I think we should go on to do OK but the key word was Rusty, we just looked very out of sorts.

Their second last try was a very good indication of how rusty our defense was. Everyone slid up and then sat back on their heels, When Burrows stepped back in side, it drew Kitey and the man next to him, he then turned and kept going out wide, that created the overlapp as we never re-adjusted and we were one man short out wide. Not Kite's fault because he was the inside man and went towards burrows, I think it was Watmough who came back in instead of releasing and closing out the overlap

WAMF said:
Daniel said:
WAMF said:
HK_Eagle said:

True but Robbo and Hoppa didn't wait for the ball to get out to them. They rolled their sleeves up and helped out with the tough stuff. This is why I was a bit critical of Oldy. He kind of did the bare minimum.

I think you are being a harsh marker, the only time Oldfield was mentioned was when he had the ball in the middle of the park, so he was rolling his sleeves up.

I think its very very harsh to blame a winger when our forwards didnt do enough to start with.

Given the strength of the Rhinos outwide in attack, I am not surprised that oldfield and Wolf held their width.

Had they targeted oldifields wing instead of Wolfy we would have been having this conversation about wolfman.

We went sideways far too many times, and as I said on Facebook, we needed to just go up the middle and turned it into a forward battle.
The moment we did that in the second half we scored and started to make some good inroads, then our kicking lost its affect again and we started trying to go through the centres again, we were never going to win that battle with handling and discipline like that. However we would of had we attacked straight up the middle.

No big deal, I just hope Toovey and the video guys notice that in the replays and come up with a better game plan going forward. To me, you can't beat simple footy up the middle, eat the metres, bend them and then break them

What I saw was a team that's a little bit rusty, but showed some glimpses of last year's form. The first half intercept when we were 6 nil down was a 12 point turn around. We looked more fired up in the 2nd half but played too laterally and didn't do the hard yards first. The Brent Webb bomb that was ruled not to be a knock on changed the momentum. They also played very well and their defence was good, but on the flip side we didn't have enough players in motion to ask questions of the defence, lots of one up hits. Overall a good workout.

The best thing though is there wasn't any injuries to our players.

Cambo said:
IMO I would move king to the bench start Joe and drop Vic or George

I should be a coaching assistant or a video analyst for the team.

I would be hesitant to change the way we use Pappa Joe, he just does such a good job in his current role, and making changes could ruin it.

King however needs to do something to life his game. Stick him on the bench and promote George or Vic> I thought Mauro made the most of every minute of his game today, he had a top effort and really made some impact. He is just a calm head and a quiet achiever and I like what he has done with his game.

Bhurer also had good impact and I think this season we need to use him more, having him out there when the game is already won or lost is just a waste of everyones time. Let's give him a full half

Daniel said:
Cambo said:
IMO I would move king to the bench start Joe and drop Vic or George

I should be a coaching assistant or a video analyst for the team.

I would be hesitant to change the way we use Pappa Joe, he just does such a good job in his current role, and making changes could ruin it.

King however needs to do something to life his game. Stick him on the bench and promote George or Vic> I thought Mauro made the most of every minute of his game today, he had a top effort and really made some impact. He is just a calm head and a quiet achiever and I like what he has done with his game.

Bhurer also had good impact and I think this season we need to use him more, having him out there when the game is already won or lost is just a waste of everyones time. Let's give him a full half

I think tooves will have to reduce choc
Playing time a bit. Like FFs how can the guy keep it up I think he's been on atleast 3 of the last 4 aus tours and origin. I hate for him to burn out.

I guess it would be different against a pommy team at Brookie Sunday arvo
28 degrees after Manly had played 4 games of the regular season, but that would never happen.
Better 2nd half when we got going, terrible refereeing at crucial times the usual forward pass try's webbs drop from bomb etc.....will be another frustrating year for all fans with the refs especially when you've got money on the games. Disappointing but no alarm bells can even see us losing first 4 till we hit our straps
Happens most years with the Eagles as you would all be aware. Keep positive. No injuries
Which is good, imagine if we lost snake for the season in this hoax of a game.

Lol u can always count on ryan to race to the forums to put the boot in after a loss. Even before round 1 tooves is copping it.

What would a loss be without yet another Ryan rant about the end of all time,sorry mate but our defense was actually quiet good and it was actually the ref who was given man of the match,the scoreline after the game presented is a sick joke

Hasler is a myth,he had the best cattle

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6