Do you support Trent Barrett? (Part 2)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Do you Support Trent Barrett?

• Yes

• No

• Still Neutral

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm certainly not in the pro Trent camp, but I ask you all a question ( that are calling for his head) ,

Do you really think TB is calling the shots and picking the team??

Or is it what I think, that as a learner is he being controlled like a puppet by Bob Fulton / Peter Peters??

If your honest answer is the second one then what chance does the man really have.

Add the unprecedented injury crises to the mix and he's facing the perfect storm.

Not trying to make excuses here but not withstanding the back room issues do you really think, in 2016, of we had this lot and Hasler that much would be different?

He's going ok over at the Dogs but they do have a pretty fair roster, and little by way of injuries in the last 2-3 years.

I think that we see a coach in rather simplistic terms. The coach is a MANAGER! He has to get things done through people. He should be a Tactician, priest, Cop, father, mother, motivator, planner and organiser, leader... Need I go on?
Choosing someone just because he was a great half-back is probably doomed to fail... Sometimes you win, though. Yup, Des and Tooves were great half backs. And they made the grade, because the other skills were there. Barrett was not ready for the gig. He was chosen because , quite simply, there was no-one else available (other than the known failures) and it was worth a try, given that Tooves was given the flick.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ivan Cleary back.

It isn't so much about him pulling the strings or not, what is of more concern is that we appear to have no game plan, no defence at all, no structure, no idea. It is just a bunch of guys running around, going through the motions with no apparent objective. We seem to have lost our 'team'. So regardless of who picked the 17 (can't call them a team), it is the coaching staff who are all getting paid, to get those players playing like a team. That just doesn't seem to be happening.

It isn't so much about him pulling the strings or not, what is of more concern is that we appear to have no game plan, no defence at all, no structure, no idea. It is just a bunch of guys running around, going through the motions with no apparent objective. We seem to have lost our 'team'. So regardless of who picked the 17 (can't call them a team), it is the coaching staff who are all getting paid, to get those players playing like a team. That just doesn't seem to be happening.
Exactly. In several pressers now he has discussed how the team tries their guts out in training and he feels sorry for them. Tip for beginners here Trent: you've got the training wrong.
When I was a teacher I couldn't pick my students (someone else picks the team?) or the syllabus (game) but I had to work to get the best HSC for each kid that I could. And I did.
It's not how hard they're working baby, it's what you're getting them to do and what you're telling them to do that's wrong. The buck stops with you.

If Trent doesn't have the balls to pick his own team then he isn't head coach material.
I could understand Bozo or someone else helping him in the first few weeks but if he hasn't taken the reigns now he is too weak for a head coach.

Wright on the bench for Brown is right up there with Freddys Anasta at FB

TB has had an absolute shocking ride with injuries. Take half of any team out and you'll struggle. There's no continuity.

In saying that, puzzling selections don't help his cause.
Is Taupau really his most effective playing 80 minutes?
How has Lewis Brown or Blake Leary added anything to this team?
Surely Mateo would have added some size and creativity. I think TB gave him one chance from memory.
Why not consider playing Api at five eight when Daly returns?

I don't think you can in fairness judge any coach on their first year at the helm of a new club to the point of releasing them unless they are completely inept and without valid excuses. It can take up to a year to transition from the last coaching staff to the new. Some coaches get lucky they can live off the habits instilled in players by the previous coach - until they become uncoached. Others inherit a rabble .... a Bad News Bears team .... and sink from day one.

It would have been super tough for TBaz - he only needed to look at the prior two years to see what a basket case we had become both on and off the park. He needed to try and get onside with the established players and treat them with respect their years of service deserved. He needed to clear out the roster of dead wood ... much of which he inherited. He needed to appease the stake holders who have been pushing their own agendas for a long time. He needed to keep the hard core dedicated fan base onside. He needed to keep the media happy as he had seen the way they tore our club apart for the last two years.

On top of this :
- unbelievably biased draw (ratings influenced)
- injury prone and aging roster
- support coaching staff all changed

I would say they have a 3-4 year plan .... they need to get rid of the players who are taking up roster space. In the second year start building the team around the spine, recruiting youngsters .... everyone can see there is quality there ... and the third year they are going to need to get down and dirty in the player market when all the prize cattle are coming off contract looking to pig out on the salary cap increase.

They need to tie up Turbo's before then otherwise every CEO will be waving 7 figure contracts under their nose.

At the start of the season I went looking for a team that had gone through a substantial amount of change to their roster over the offseason. I think the team that matched that criteria was the Titans. New halves along with a roster that had a complete make over.

Watching the Titans early games I couldn't help but be impressed by their fluency. Not only in set pieces but just in general play .... it was like watching Brazil vs the Socceroos (ok so I exaggerate a little). Our moves were all telegraphed, slow, predictable .... frustrating .... started to see a pass it to Tom or Marty mentality without any support to challenge the defenders structure and decision making. Marty often getting the ball flat footed and Tom making breaks inside his own 20.

How often do you hear commentators say Tom had no right to make that break or to score that try, or go close to scoring .... because he's doing it off his own bat ... pass it to Tom, he'll do something ... we'll wear the poor buggers out (Tom and Jake) before they are 25. Look at Jake's workrate ... it's Glen Stewart level .... but there is a price to pay .... you can only stay at that level for so long .... it wears you down .... it wears your body down.

I guess in closing .... we need to be patient ... there are a lot of chess moves to come .... I'm just not sure if we have a Kasperov (or Costner) in the ranks capable of making the trades to get us where we need to be.
Management also need to respect our patience and not serve up some of the crap they have over the last few months. Bizarre selections being at the top of the list.

I think that we see a coach in rather simplistic terms. The coach is a MANAGER! He has to get things done through people. He should be a Tactician, priest, Cop, father, mother, motivator, planner and organiser, leader... Need I go on?
Choosing someone just because he was a great half-back is probably doomed to fail... Sometimes you win, though. Yup, Des and Tooves were great half backs. And they made the grade, because the other skills were there. Barrett was not ready for the gig. He was chosen because , quite simply, there was no-one else available (other than the known failures) and it was worth a try, given that Tooves was given the flick.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ivan Cleary back.

Barrett was actually our 3rd choice for coach once they had decided to get rid of Tooves.

As the rumour went, originally the Penn's wanted Des back but he knocked it back, and besides he was contracted to the Dogs. They then allegedly went after Brad Arthur because it was thought, among other things that it might be a way to get Foran to stay but he apparently said no (funny, it was around this time that Bozo was brought back to get DCE to backflip so there might have been more truth than rumour there as they realised that Foran was definitely going). It was only then did Barrett get the job offer after Gould had sold Bozo on TB's coaching ability.

You know, I kinda feel sorry for Barrett. He's a rookie coach who obviously wants to prove his worth, but he's been given a team which unfortunately has been decimated by injury. And the hard thing is that its not always been injuries that better training could prevent. DCE and Tom's ankles were because they fell awkwardly while being tackled. Jorge did his collar bone tackling a player, Myles' knee could have happened to anyone and BJ's pec injury is something that can happen in a physical sport like rugby league. That's hard enough for any coach to have to deal with, even a so-called "Supercoach" like Wayne Bennett (case in point - Newcastle 2014), let alone a rookie.

There are some who are playing well in this team. Tom is killing it even though he's on one leg. Jake is a machine and its been good for us that the NSW selectors seem to have forgotten him right now, and Parcell, while he does make the odd error, is proving to be the gun we knew he would be. If only he had a decent pack to work with. Walker is also doing ok now he's back in the centres while Taupau, when not suspended, is doing better than most give him credit for despite being completely misused in the back row.

You take 3 or 4 top liners (including both halves) out of the Cows, Donkeys, Sharks or Storm and suddenly they aren't the cream of the crop anymore no matter who their coach is.

Last edited:
This could relate to a number coaches at the moment but sounds like our our very own twenty barrett

Which NRL club coach is on the nose at the moment?

Our friend has a fairly good side at his disposal - but he just can't get them working together.

There is no suggestion he will soon get punted - but he is being closely monitored by club management.

http://www.sportingnews.com/league/...-club-ally/1pmryxq2a36jy16ya6zpxsc06g/slide/4

Trent Barrett is a nice guy but I do not support him, the current coaching staff and majority of the management either.

I think it is now fair to say that Trent Barrett, John Cartwright and the entire senior coaching staff need to go.

Let us examine the facts; Barrett got the side he wanted. As first grade coach, he advised Gutherson, Hiku and Ballin to look elsewhere, based on a perceived limited amount of first grade footy for them. This decision was made based on a guess, rather than a player’s form on the field. Irrespective of the fact that both Ballin and Hiku have suffered season ending injuries, it goes more to a lack of judgement on his part. He did not consider that these players offer depth, particularly Gutherson and Hiku. They are also real Manly. Subsequent to this, Mathew Wright was brought into the club, and Tom Symonds released. Barrett got the squad he wanted – period. Lewis Brown, Tim Moltzen, Isaac John, Nate Myles, Martin Taupau, Darcy Lussick and Apisai Koroisau were brought in with his strong endorsement and approval. Rather than me condemn them, as fellow supporters you can make that judgment for yourselves. Let’s break it down;

Nate Myles – Lack of any real success at NRL club level, propped up by an outstanding QLD side. Looked tired early last season;

Lewis Brown – Not bad but certainly not a dynamic or overly gifted player. Needs confidence and success around him, not a leader either. Tom Symonds a far superior alternative;

Martin Taupau – Achieves yardage but a rare case of someone who can produce statistics, but still proves mostly ineffective. Lack of quality in his work;

Tim Moltzen – Unfortunately, has been broken for years;

Isaac John – NSW Cup standard;

Darcy Lussick – See Taupau;

Apisai Koroisau – Good for 6 – 7 games a year;

Mathew Wright – See Koroisau

Trent Barrett can hi-light injuries all he pleases. It still does not excuse his recruitment, broad decision making, continual changing of player positions (not injuries) and lack of ability to gel this side. They blew a substantial lead against Penrith, had the Eels at the sword and should have beaten South Sydney at Brookvale. He claimed last year on NRL 360 that he was going to make Brookvale a fortress again. He also chose a coaching staff with loyalties elsewhere. Cartwright admitted that he still has an eye on Penrith. For those of you who think that is not a big deal, it actually is. Our culture is built on us against them. Barrett also paid tribute to Zorba Peters. This is the same fat heap of trash who belittles Sea Eagle supporters who rightfully express their views regarding the changes at our club. As members and supporters, did Trent Barrett forget who matters?

To be removed:

Coaching and Management - Barrett; Cartwright; Williamson; Seibold; Ferris; Disgusting Zorba Peters; Kelly; and Fulton

Last edited:
Trent Barrett is a nice guy but I do not support him, the current coaching staff and majority of the management either.

I think it is now fair to say that Trent Barrett, John Cartwright and the entire senior coaching staff need to go.

Let us examine the facts; Barrett got the side he wanted. As first grade coach, he advised Gutherson, Hiku and Ballin to look elsewhere, based on a perceived limited amount of first grade footy for them. This decision was made based on a guess, rather than a player’s form on the field. Irrespective of the fact that both Ballin and Hiku have suffered season ending injuries, it goes more to a lack of judgement on his part. Subsequent to this, Mathew Wright was brought into the club, and Tom Symonds released. Barrett got the squad he wanted – period. Lewis Brown, Tim Moltzen, Isaac John, Nate Myles, Martin Taupau, Darcy Lussick and Apisai Koroisau were brought in with his strong endorsement and approval. Rather than me condemn them, as fellow supporters you can make that judgment for yourselves. Let’s break it down;

Nate Myles – Lack of any real success at NRL club level, propped up by an outstanding QLD side. Looked tired early last season;

Lewis Brown – Not bad but certainly not a dynamic or overly gifted player. Needs confidence and success around him, not a leader either. Tom Symonds a far superior alternative;

Martin Taupau – Achieves yardage but a rare case of someone who can produce statistics, but still proves mostly ineffective. Lack of quality in his work;

Tim Moltzen – Unfortunately, has been broken for years;

Isaac John – NSW Cup standard;

Darcy Lussick – See Taupau;

Apisai Koroisau – Good for 6 – 7 games a year;

Mathew Wright – See Koroisau

Trent Barrett can hi-light injuries all he pleases. It still does not excuse his recruitment, broad decision making, continual changing of player positions (not injuries) and lack of ability to gel this side. They blew a substantial lead against Penrith, had the Eels at the sword and should have beaten South Sydney at Brookvale. He claimed last year on NRL 360 that he was going to make Brookvale a fortress again. He also chose a coaching staff with loyalties elsewhere. Cartwright admitted that he still has an eye on Penrith. For those of you who think that is not a big deal, it actually is. Our culture is built on us against them. Barrett also paid tribute to Zorba Peters. This is the same fat heap of trash who belittles Sea Eagle supporters who rightfully express their views regarding the changes at our club. As members and supporters, did Trent Barrett forget who matters?

To be removed:

Coaching and Management - Barrett; Cartwright; Williamson; Seibold; Ferris; Disgusting Zorba Peters; Kelly; and Fulton
You're keeping the Penns? :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6