Post-Game Discussion Dragons v Manly [Round 19, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Dragons
Vs
Sea Eagles
20 Netstrata Jubilee Stadium
22 Jul 2022 18:00
80th minute

Match Stats

Btw, didn't anyone notice how upset both Turbo & Parker were during Ben's on field HIA? One reason for this, obviously, would be concern for his welfare - Brad & the Trbojevics are close mates. Also, before being injured, Ben's last short stint in the starting side was quite successful - now, in his first NRL game after several weeks, he couldn't finish the match.
In his very short NRL career so far, Burbo has appeared to be a magnet for high shots. Very first game against Newcastle, Klemmer copped him high. And last night he copped a few (missed by the ref, naturally) before getting his head in the wrong position and essentially knocking himself out.

I wonder if opposition players target him because of the Trbojevic name, because he's a rookie or possibly both.

I said it before the match.

So it's ok to have Walker who plays maybe 45 - 55 minutes per match doing 40+ tackles , but not protected species Foran who plays 80 mins every week?

Foran certainly has the most crisp passing game out of all the options and imo would have made a bigger positive impact than Walker and would have been able to control the tempo of the match with his experience.

And all week Griffin was copping schiit over favourites.

Okay ... let me get this straight ...

You are of the opinion that the only reason that Dessie didn't follow your inspired brilliance ... and didn't play Foran at Hooker last night was because Foran is a favourite of Dessie's, and Dessie wanted to protect him and didn't want to make him do a lot of hard work ...

FMD ... they are out and running around amongst us ..

You are of the opinion that the only reason that Dessie didn't follow your inspired brilliance ... and didn't play Foran at Hooker last night was because Foran is a favourite of Dessie's, and Dessie wanted to protect him and didn't want to make him do a lot of hard work ...

Yes. You know I'm right 😜

Is it a full moon. Perhaps it’s all the rain we have been getting. FMD indeed.

Apart from leaking the last try, I was pretty proud of the side tonight. I thought they dug in under serious adversity. Keppie lasted 20 minutes, Haumole was on one leg, and we finished with one forward on the bench. Add to that the players we’d already lost before kick off...Dragons should have flogged us.

It cannot be overstated how vital Croker and Jake are to our side. In the first half, we got smashed through the middle and had less than 35% possession. That doesn’t happen if Jake and Croker keep Dragons pinned down own end and we play on the front foot. All that tackling catches up with you and we didn’t have much in attack as a result.
Yep and I think we missed Croker in attack more than we missed Jake in defence.
Losing Keppie was tough, Jake plays the full 80 in the middle along with Davey and Guac on the edges.
Only Walker and Guac on one leg played 80 last night, Walker couldn't add his usual spark as he just had to tackle, Guac could hardly run and some wonder why we got beaten.

Yep and I think we missed Croker in attack more than we missed Jake in defence.
Losing Keppie was tough, Jake plays the full 80 in the middle along with Davey and Guac on the edges.
Only Walker and Guac on one leg played 80 last night, Walker couldn't add his usual spark as he just had to tackle, Guac could hardly run and some wonder why we got beaten.
The other thing about attack is when you have a 9 and middle forwards making more tackles than they are usually used to making (i.e. the ones that Croker and Jake usually make), they’re gassed. At one point last night, Walker couldn’t literally get off the ground and another player had to drag him by his jersey to help him up...so what could they possible have to offer in attack, when their tanks are empty?!

Apart from leaking the last try, I was pretty proud of the side tonight. I thought they dug in under serious adversity. Keppie lasted 20 minutes, Haumole was on one leg, and we finished with one forward on the bench. Add to that the players we’d already lost before kick off...Dragons should have flogged us.

It cannot be overstated how vital Croker and Jake are to our side. In the first half, we got smashed through the middle and had less than 35% possession. That doesn’t happen if Jake and Croker keep Dragons pinned down own end and we play on the front foot. All that tackling catches up with you and we didn’t have much in attack as a result.
100% agree Snake, the first 20min they had 85% possession, it was truly amazing how we kept it to only 14pts first half, after a first half error that consigned us to never ending defence on our 20 for virtually the whole 1st half I thought the boys were inspirational. Saints had momentum by the spades, and Hunt wasn't going to let his foot of our throats. Missing Croker and Jake was huge for us, Hunt would never had scored that try through the ruck/middle. To fight back the way we did in the 2nd half was a credit to the boys.

what’s this ? DCE comes up against a mid table Dragons team who played moderately well, and now we know what his level is because against that standard he was garbage.
DCE did nothing in attack, his 5th tackle kicks were short & straight to the Dragons fullback all night, & spend most of the game drifting to the other side only to do nothing worthwhile With the ball.

Oh, and Dessie game plan to attack on Manly’s left side away from Koula & Huomole is utter idiocy.
Des sacking is long overdue.
Foran on the right side with Koula & Huamole is a must. Any competent coach will see that as obvious.

Photo of how utterly clueless DCE is in defence, where he just rushes up to the middle of nowhere, and spends the rest of the time ball watching. Photo is for the Dragon’s last try. Manly have numbered up 2 v 2 but DCE comes in for no reason with a 3 on 2, and does nothing in D

Attachments

• 5835C526-0CED-4A30-B0BF-4FEA9251491E.jpeg
    5835C526-0CED-4A30-B0BF-4FEA9251491E.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 17
what’s this ? DCE comes up against a mid table Dragons team who played moderately well, and now we know what his level is because against that standard he was garbage.
DCE did nothing in attack, his 5th tackle kicks were short & straight to the Dragons fullback all night, & spend most of the game drifting to the other side only to do nothing worthwhile With the ball.

Oh, and Dessie game plan to attack on Manly’s left side away from Koula & Huomole is utter idiocy.
Des sacking is long overdue.
Foran on the right side with Koula & Huamole is a must. Any competent coach will see that as obvious.

Photo of how utterly clueless DCE is in defence, where he just rushes up to the middle of nowhere, and spends the rest of the time ball watching. Photo is for the Dragon’s last try. Manly have numbered up 2 v 2 but DCE comes in for no reason with a 3 on 2, and does nothing in D

Of course, the early injury to Haumole had no impact on tactics.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8