Post-Game Discussion Dragons v Manly [Round 22, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Dragons
Vs
Sea Eagles
18 WIN Stadium
29 Jul 2023 17:30
80:00 minute

Match Stats

They had 60% of the ball, 8 - 5 penalty count in there favour and we made 12 errors, that would have have a lot to do with it, plus the team sheet, we have our share of outs, yer, but I get what your saying, Just not today mate, we have 300 and 100 times more important reasons to celebrate the win.
PS forgot the 6 - 1 against us set restarts.
The other thing against us was losing Tui late in the game. Yes, I know he's only a winger, but losing a winger almost always results in a reshuffle of the entire backline. All of a sudden Matterson is playing centre, Koula is shifted to the other wing, and defensive combinations are out the window.

Still, to put my Seibold hat and croaky vocal cords on for a minute, we really need to treat this as a learning opportunity. We should have iced that game at least twice: two butchered tries from Reuben and Koula that would have surely out the game to bed. We need to maintain our composure and take opportunities like those more often than not, instead of more not than often.

Agree mate......I'm liking the look of Lodge after last weeks effort. If he goes well again against the Dragons I think he'll be primed for a big one against the Roosters. Yes having Paseka & Aloiai out hurts but we have the artillery to match them in the forwards & our backs can do the rest. I think the Roosters are over-rated & I'm sick to death of hearing how good their roster is. The Roosters lost, the Eels lost, the Knights lose hopefully & we keep winning......which we are capable of! We can make the finals & shut a few mouths!
I feel like Lodge's game against the Dragons was one of the major positives. Say what you want about his history etc - but he is a hell of a Prop. Hopefully can help with the Roosters game - its a 5-day turnaround for an away game, which is tough ask given our recent stamina.

Guess we have to put faith in our coaching staff to give some attention to our capitulations. The weird thing is, prior to those, we look great !

There are some positive signs, but jeez I hope our lack of lateral mobility in defense is addressed. Our marker defense is a real weakness that opposition teams focus when they want to pour on points.

Hey, that's two wins in a row now, regardless of the way we got them. Beating a team in Wollongong for the first time in 20 years. Without Tom, Paseka, Aloiai, Ben Turbo, Lawton (jeez, struggled to remember his name), Tuipulotu coming off, Fifita, Tuitavake being released and now not picking the Fainu's is pretty sweet.

Getting Lodge as Maxta wisely says has been a great pickup.

But add all those players in, plus Brooks, Talau and Paulo, we are starting to look pretty sweet.

Lastly, Bullemor has been fantastic this year. I have NO idea why he was dropped. None. Also, don't be harsh on Keppie, he's giving his all guys, his best footy is in front of him..

Two small things, defensive speed / intensity and play-the-ball speed, and lookout. That and playing for 80.

Thats alright, he'll feel better in the morning..lol
Can object all he likes - Tui is out injured with an MCL, we also lost him for the back end of the game - lost him for longer than 10-mins. I can't think of a better time to use the Bin than when you take a player out of the game.

Should have binned that prick from the Sharks last week that did that reckless/deliberate corkscrew action on Taniela whilst his team-mate had the other leg above the waistline.

Guess we have to put faith in our coaching staff to give some attention to our capitulations. The weird thing is, prior to those, we look great !

There are some positive signs, but jeez I hope our lack of lateral mobility in defense is addressed. Our marker defense is a real weakness that opposition teams focus when they want to pour on points.

Hey, that's two wins in a row now, regardless of the way we got them. Beating a team in Wollongong for the first time in 20 years. Without Tom, Paseka, Aloiai, Ben Turbo, Lawton (jeez, struggled to remember his name), Tuipulotu coming off, Fifita, Tuitavake being released and now not picking the Fainu's is pretty sweet.

Getting Lodge as Maxta wisely says has been a great pickup.

But add all those players in, plus Brooks, Talau and Paulo, we are starting to look pretty sweet.

Lastly, Bullemor has been fantastic this year. I have NO idea why he was dropped. None. Also, don't be harsh on Keppie, he's giving his all guys, his best footy is in front of him..

Two small things, defensive speed / intensity and play-the-ball speed, and lookout. That and playing for 80.
Yeah marker defence is a really concern. Hunt started causing problems by turning the ball back inside to the space left by the lazy markers. We’ve also got to be better with kick pressure.

There is something systemically wrong with our second halves, and it comes down to attitude versus laziness.

It's happened too often over the past few years now, and it's a culture problem.

I can't even rewatch and enjoy the games, because the capitulations make the games unsatisfying
1,000,000%

There is something systemically wrong with our second halves, and it comes down to attitude versus laziness.

It's happened too often over the past few years now, and it's a culture problem.

I can't even rewatch and enjoy the games, because the capitulations make the games unsatisfying
there is something systematically wrong with our entire game plan. I can only put it down to the coach.

Yes, we had issues under Des. But this guy just isn't much chop.

So much of our play and structure is slow and boring. there is little pop or power unless a particular group of players take it on their own back to do something.

Look at short dropouts. they seem to get the rub more often than not and have been really successful for some teams. do we try.... NO

Fast play the balls? NO

One of my favorites. Penalty, kick for touch, take tap, and for whatever reason pass 2 into a slow plodding forward and end up 5 meters behind the point of where the tap was taken. This allows the defensive team to get through 2 tackles without taking a backward step..... INFURIATING.

And defense. apparently Seicums specialty. the way the dragons were rolling up the park today was shocking.

The shoe has obviously been told to forget about his size and condition for the rest of this season. Yes he will be in the back row soon but we need him at 5/8 THIS YEAR. bust his balls to get in shape and pack it on for next year.

at the beginning of the year Tom was taking hit 5 of sets so often. Made no logical sense but then he gets injured and rubes starts doing it. obviously a coached play for whatever reason.

We look so far behind in everything and the only thing keeping our heads above water is the roster. Can you imagine if we didn't have DCE, Hamole and or Garrick. we would be racing the tigers to the spoon.

Saab for me has been really strong. given he hardly gets into open play hes doing a great job.

Lodge has been huge. hate him all you want he's got size and bulk.

We are a 9 - 12 side, unfortunately. might jag some more wins on the back of particular players but even if we make the 8, out in the first week against better opposition will be a strong bet.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -60 8