Farewell for Brett & Steve

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

castle eagle

Bencher
Tipping Member
Golden Eagles call on Manly to fast-track farewells for Brett Stewart and Steve Matai
Matt Logue, The Daily Telegraph
July 16, 2017 12:25pm

GOLDEN Eagles Old Boys’ chairman Mark Bryant has contacted Manly in a bid to fast-track a Brookvale farewell for retired stars Brett Stewart and Steve Matai.

After announcing their retirements at the start of the season, Stewart and Matai are yet to receive a lap of honour in front of the Sea Eagles’ faithful.

In an attempt to ensure it happens, Bryant has contacted the club. He also spoke with Stewart and Matai last week to receive their blessings for a Brookvale farewell.

“Hopefully we can do something for them before the end of the season,” Bryant told The Sunday Telegraph.

“I’ve spoken to Steve and Snake and told them, ‘you boys need a send-off’ and that we’ll approach the club about it. The club is all for it, which is great.

“They are both humble guys, but they really do deserve it for the years of service they’ve given.

“The fans would also love to see two of the club’s greatest ever champions farewelled.”

Stewart and Matai are no longer playing, but they remain on Manly’s 2017 salary cap due to unsettled medical retirement clearances.

The Sea Eagles have been working closely with the NRL for several months in a bid to have the pair’s salaries excluded from this year’s cap. However, this is yet to be resolved.

Despite this, Bryant hopes Stewart and Matai receive a Brookvale send-off before the end of the regular season. He won the 2008 premiership alongside the legendary pair and says they’ll go down as two of Manly’s best.

“For a front-rower there is no better sight than Snake in open space, because you can turn around and start walking back to the goal line to get ready for the kick-off,” Bryant enthused.

“He scored some great tries, but he was a tough footballer too. Some of the try line defence that he made saying those tries was phenomenal.

“And Steve was like having another front-rower in the centres.

“You are coming back into the line after a kick down and you are absolutely buggered and next thing Steve is taking two massive runs to get us on the front foot so you can have a break.

“His work ethic was second to none and rattling blokes – I don’t have to tell you how good he was at that.”

The Golden Eagles will hold their annual Old Boys’ Day when the Sea Eagles take on the Wests Tigers at Lottoland today.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...i/news-story/2f985e273d3d644ac8897121fc84cac2

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Boxy is going well in this role but he's not God, and God will be needed to get this happening.

sheridanstand78

First Grader
Long overdue and the club have to do this for the two guys who have given our club so much. The next game against Easts, weather permitting will draw over 15K crowd at Brooky and that is a perfect chance to do it on a Sunday arvo. Get it done!!

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I really hope they can make this happen. I feel duty bound to go and show my heart felt respect and thanks for these two legends - all we need is the opportunity. So many memories.

Make it happen Manly.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
As an official sendoff seems less likely every week, the more you have to start to believe there really was some rubbish going on behind the scenes the last few years.
Exactly, personally I think the horse has bolted , from both sides of the paddock.

It's all very sad but the opportunity has past, their absence, from anywhere near the joint all year confirms this.

Ryan

Journey Man
The frustrating thing for me, is the NRL wrote me specifically stating that Manly had not provided them the required paperwork allowing for the players to be officially medically retired like Watmough was at The Eels.

End of the day, I don't give one crap about $$$, medical retirements, The NRL, Todd Greenburg (especially that scumbag). What I care about is the men, Brett Stewart & Steve Matai.

These guys busted their balls to provide me with entertainment and passion for years upon years. I want to repay that service by turning up to a farewell for the legends, and show them my appreciation, in full spirit.

Come on Manly, these are our loyal sons here. Make it happen. Jesus, I'd actually love Gift and maybe even Choc to join them, because we didn't get a proper chance of saying goodbye properly.

Eagles2nv

DESpicable Manly
I am still of the belief the club doesnt want to have a farewell whilst the medical retirements are still an open case.

If this is the case, a Rd26 send off would be appropriate as its the last competition round at home and would be appropiate.

Also have to wonder what Snake and Skivvy are thinking, they may have told the club thanks but no thanks.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I know where you are coming from @Ryan but wether it's the club, or them ( who really knows) I get the feeling that this isn't going to happen.

If they couldn't be medically retired , and are still being paid by the club, then why couldn't they be involved during the year with corporate functions, meet the fans etc etc.

I think the fact they haven't tells a story, they have moved on, and sadly so should we.

The whole, Gift, Choc, Foz, Snake, Skivvy saga has more twists and turns than we will ever know, honestly maybe it's all better left in the past.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
11 8 3 75 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
11 6 5 -9 14
10 6 4 -10 14
12 6 5 36 13
11 6 5 107 12
11 5 6 47 12