Favoured Players

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Some players I might otherwise admire have lost their allure for me due to off-field or post-footy stuff, but in most cases it is because they were simply too much of a threat to the Sea Eagles so I never forgave them.

Anyhow, I'll go :

Eric Grothe (snr) - incredible runner with the ball
Roger Millward- tiny, with incredible skill
Ali Lauitiiti - huge, with incredible skill

Each very eye-catching, in their prime.

This is hard when you only like Manly but -

Current:
Beaver - Catalans
Matt Bowen - still a great player
Fui Fui Moi Moi - selected because he has the best name in the league.

Past:
Alan Tongue - loved it when Roy and HG used to say 'slip the Tongue in'.
John Hopoate as the Tigers on field proctologist - a crack up literally.
Trent Barrett - in 2011 he gave me an autograph and wrote 'Go the Sea Eagles' for me. Great bloke.

3 all time non Manly:
Andrew Johns - forget the off field stuff, he has and always will be the greatest player Rugby League has produced. He carried Newcastle by himself for many years and probably deserved another premiership or 2.

Tim Brasher - he was all class. Loved watching him as a fullback running hard, fast and was slick on his feet. I also admit i watched him quite a bit as my nickname in my teenage footy days was 'Brasher' due to my resemblance to him - not my footy skills unfortunately ;)

ET - he was untouchable sometimes with the ball in his hands. Most centres in his time were strong runners, but ET was the complete package - strong, fast, agile and had the ball playing ability of a half.

3 current non Manly:
Gallen
Inglis
C Smith - he will be the closest anybody comes to Joey, with guys like Lockyer/Fittler/Lewis/Meninga all 3rd

Former non Manly
Trevor Gillmeister
Wally Lewis
Peter Sterling

Present non Manly
Paul Gallen
Tarig Simms
Josh Dugan

All time
1. Sterlo - probably the 2nd best player I ever saw in my era.
2. Wayne Pearce - I dont think many players from the 80's would make it in the NRL now but he would.
3. Joey - the best player I have seen in my era.
Special mention for Preton Campbell

Current
1. Paul Gallen - Tough.
2. Mat Bowen - can score a try from anywhere.
3. Manu Vatuvei - when hes on he's great and when he's bad he does it with a smail on his face.
Special mention for Benji but the media hype around doesnt help him.

Non Manly players? Hate 'em all. Admire them, but hate em all

Bearfax said:
Non Manly players? Hate 'em all. Admire them, but hate em all

ps Unless they join Manly, the I love em.

eagles2win said:
:lol:

I'll explain the Allan Woodhead thing for those playing at home.
During the WCC last year we met this bloke at a pub that is a Leeds supporter that claimed he played for them in the 70s.
His whole family were at this and he stuck around whilst we took over the pub in true mwts fashion and got up to the traditional drinking of adult soft drinks.
Great time was had by all and was a highlight of the whole adventure

The funny things is that this guy looked like he was well over seventy, so he must have been around forty when he played for Leeds,he had a much younger wife and everyone was referring to her as his daughter, it's a case of you had to be there to appreciate the humour of the situation.

Favourite all time: Igor, Ian Roberts, Cliffy
Favourite current: Wolfie, Killer, Chez

Reasons: All played with 100% every game and brought new skill sets to the League in their era

Non-Manly all time: Wally Lewis, Fred Fitler, Brad Clyde
Non Manly current: None, as they are all bastards standing in the way of another Manly Premiership :p

HappilyManly said:
Favourite all time: Igor, Ian Roberts, Cliffy
Favourite current: Wolfie, Killer, Chez

Reasons: All played with 100% every game and brought new skill sets to the League in their era

Non-Manly all time: Wally Lewis, Fred Fitler, Brad Clyde
Non Manly current: None, as they are all bastards standing in the way of another Manly Premiership :p

Well analysed Happily. Especially your last section "Non Manly Current'. Dont give 'em nuthing I says. Bastards all....except when they join Manly. Then they's heroes. By the way I was a price fan and thought he was better than Fittler, Clyde etc. I recall Arthurson when asked what player he would want for Manly in the early 80's of all the players from other clubs and he reportedly almost jumped out of his seat as he pronounced 'Ray Price'. Guys a bit thick in general, but as a footballer he as an awesome talent.

Agree though about King Wally. Hate to admit this but in my 60 odd years, I consider Wally the best player I've seen (followed by Fulton...and Cliffy was close behind).

Favourite 3 all time non Manly?
Darren Lockyer - IMO the best ever, made two positions his own, record speaks for itself.
Preston Campbell - love what this guy stands for, always played above his weight. Great bloke.
Brad Thorn - so much respect for this guy and what he's achieved, i love rugby too.

Favourite 3 current non Manly?
Greg Inglis - superfreak!
Matt Bowen - has been awesome to watch year in, year out!
Cam Smith - just cause he's so awesome and he's a QUEENSLANDER!

Brookie said:
Favourite 3 all time non Manly?
Darren Lockyer - IMO the best ever, made two positions his own, record speaks for itself.
Preston Campbell - love what this guy stands for, always played above his weight. Great bloke.
Brad Thorn - so much respect for this guy and what he's achieved, i love rugby too.

Favourite 3 current non Manly?
Greg Inglis - superfreak!
Matt Bowen - has been awesome to watch year in, year out!
Cam Smith - just cause he's so awesome and he's a QUEENSLANDER!

Brookie. Good choices. I think Cam Smith may become an all time great in time and I also suspect he will become a major administrator in Rugby League when he retires (also from coaching)...and that would be good because he's smart and has some great ideas.

Lockyer was a great player and seemed like a nice bloke in the Menzies mould. Yes I can see why you would think he was the best. Personally I would pick Wally Lewis. We saw only the twilight years of Wally and even then he was a giant. I think if we had had the pleasure of seeing his full career like we saw Lockyer, our assessment of him would be far greater even than it is.

Some of course suggest Andrew Johns. Very fine player indeed and obviously has remarkable skills which he knows how to pass onto others (Cherry-Evans and Fran speak very highly of him). Is he the best ever. I dont think so but he's up there.

Jatz Crackers said:
That is just a load of steaming cane toad crap. Its that bad im off to shower with global.

OOO! Must have crumbled some of Jatz's crackers. I suspect an impaired vision biased to the blue end of the visual spectrum and away from the red end.

Jatz Crackers said:
That is just a load of steaming cane toad crap. Its that bad im off to shower with global.

Jatz dropped the soap...and he really is all nuts!

I didn't have the pleasure of seeing Bobby, Changa or Artie play but Andrew Johns just pips Wally Lewis for best player I have seen.
It is a close call. Both had terrific vision, great attacking skills and could defend like a backrower.
But Johns just gets the nod as an allround player purely because he could kick goals.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6