Football or Soccer?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Most soccer players don't play like Ronaldinho either.

Play one half of soccer and one half of Rugby between Brazil and the All Blacks and I'll bet that the All Blacks score more tries/goals.

[quote author=Matabele]
Who cares?

As Warren Ryan said on Satruday night, it's just a game for soft, cowed men.
I heard Wazza make that comment - and it is based on the tendency of players to dive and then writhe on the ground like dying soldiers when they cop a slight tap on the leg to suddenly get up and be totally fine. Has always annoyed me about soccer and always will. The ease to take a cheap shot at someone else's leg also irritates me.

As someone who played League for many years and still plays 0ver 35 soccer at a fair standard (coaching junior rugby as well) I can't say that the majority of those who play soccer are soft. The aim of the game is not to take hits and get hit but it takes courage to go in hard - helps that I am big I suppose. (I am told I play more like a league player than a soccer player anyway.)
[/quote]

You could almost argue the same (about diving that is) about BK in state of O last year.........

Soccer takes a lot more skill to get a ball through traffic and "offload it" cleanly to another player without putting them under pressure.

It is apples and oranges though. Rugby and league players are bulkier and need to be built more in the upper body. Soccer players need to be fitter, lighter and better with their lower bodies. It still takes a lot of strength and balance to play soccer and to keep your feet and the ball whilst copping full body contact. We have an ex state rugby league player in our soccer team this year, he can not play soccer at all. The worst I have seen for a long time, it takes a lot more skill than people think.

I love the way leagies and union players try to trap the soccer ball!

The problem though Dan is we all know that in this case the orange will crush the apple.

Rugby players could last a half of soccer.

Soccer players wouldn't last a half of Rugby.

In fact, if the captain of the All Blacks won the toss and elected to play Rugby in the first half, there wouldn't be a second half.

to be honest i do not think the rugby team would be able to touch the ball apart kick off.....

It would be an absolute cricket score - it is naive to think that a physical team could be a football team (say Brazil v the all blacks)

Just chock up the penalty area with 11 players and make them come at you.............

Then smash the bejesus out of them at the first scrum.

so in other words dont play soccer at all

still wouldnt matter - first time the brazil takes the ball down to the 11 kiwis those oafs would foal and be red carded in the penalty area. 10 goals in 10 minutes and 1 player left as al the other would be sent off.

so after 10 minutes it would be the goal keeper VS Brazil.

Considering the points ratio difference of around 20 to 1 and the brazilians being able to score a goal every minute thats a score of around 2000 needed by the kiwis or 3.5 converted tries per minute

Soccer would win easily

Just chock up the penalty area with 11 players and make them come at you.............

Then smash the bejesus out of them at the first scrum.

To be honest i am not sure that would work - i have tried it before in a match (not the whole thing but when defending a lead) and we struggled - now against a team with skill you would be gone!

Silly argument. If it was Rugby players and Mungos it would be one thing but it is like comparing Golf players to hang gliders to compare Rugby with Soccer. One involves putting a little ball in the net with the head and feet, the other involves running and passing a ball to place downward pressure behind the tryline.

Almost as dumb as the NFL v League or Union debate - you just can't measure!!!

CW, you can't deny though that the soccer players would not finish a half of football. And there ends the toughness argument.

I never forget talking one of my pommy mates mums into letting him play league with me on the school team instead of soccer. I remember saying he will be fine etc etc. His first touch of the ball he got smashed and sent to hospital for concussion :lol: :lol:

actually mata you argued skill and points to which you were burnt and lost - hence why you avoided the reply like usual.

Sorry to dig this one up but if Brazil did play the all blacks would hand bags be allowed on the field?

While news of two All Blacks fighting in a Christchurch bar sounds manly enough, the account of the scuffle to be found in the New Zealand Herald contains several noteworthy details:

'Patrons at a Christchurch bar say they watched in disbelief as former All Black captain Tana Umaga struck a teammate in the head with a woman's handbag.

'They said Hurricanes teammate and All Black Chris Masoe then broke into tears after the blows from Umaga, and was ridiculed by onlookers.'

'"It looked more like ... an angry mother smacking a naughty child kind of thing."'

'Another bar patron, Scott, said he saw Umaga pick up a handbag and strike Masoe twice. "When that happened, Masoe burst into tears and created a bit of a scene at the bar. A female bouncer came in and managed to get Masoe and Umaga to leave.'

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • lsz
    First Grader

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9