Foran to sign with Eels - announcement imminent

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryan that is less a study and more of an excerpt of the "How to simplify management" handbook. No sources to where the information is gathered from and wild generalisations across the board. If the person who wrote that is a doctor, I'd be very surprised/worried. I don't want to argue as its a Sunday and I'm about to head off to a 12 hour shift (Pretty strange for a lazy Millennial I know!) but you don't have to be an Einstein to realise everyone is different and these generalising managers kits don't work.
Yeh I just finished an 8hr one in a second job. Geez I have a horrible work ethic. We can't all buy a house at 4:1 income to value ratio. Now you're lucky if it's 15:1 to live on the beaches. Hypocritical self indulgent idiots would believe this tripe about generational stereotyping

Last edited:
The first birth year of the Millenials is 1995 - there are still very few of them in the League. DCE and his ilk are the fag end of Gen Y. I work with thousands of Millenials every year and they give me great hope for the future.

@Ryan is it your old age and wisdom that allows you to copy and paste a whole bunch of offensive dribble? Or did you overhear something about this in a cafe as well and thought it would be great to bring prejudiced narrow minded views to this forum?

@Ryan is it your old age and wisdom that allows you to copy and paste a whole bunch of offensive dribble? Or did you overhear something about this in a cafe as well and thought it would be great to bring prejudiced narrow minded views to this forum?
I particularly like the part where those old farts who say Australia is all about giving a fair go

Then they deny that so called fair go based on year of birth

So yeah fair go mate if your born within 10 years of me, otherwise you're worthless

Why is there such a hurry in pushing Foran to sign with Manly or another club?

Billy Slater is off contract this year, yet there is no hysteria about him not re-signing yet? He is taking his own sweet time.

Manly , Manly fans and the media seem obsessed with pushing the poor kid into making a decision.
One is turning 25 this year and in his prime the other is turning 32 is one reason and it appears from what others have been reading in the clickbait articles (I don't read the news articles so don't base my replies in response to them) that somewhere along the line Foran suggested he wanted this all wrapped up before the season started.

The only comment I have seen from Foran was along the lines of "I have never set a deadline" but others seem to have read somewhere he wanted it settled before the season which if the case Foran has contributed to all this media interest.

Personally I don't see why in demand halves need to rush a decision when they are always on top of clubs "wanted" list---both could have played the entire season and made a decision early in the following offseason giving themselves more time to negotiate a better deal under less pressure while playing.

Obviously other clubs set their own time frames and this sort of brings things forward but really the money will always be around for two top 10 players.

Once a backline player reaches their 30's and been at a club for a long time like Slater more often than not they play out their NRL career at the same club or go to England. If they leave for another NRL club it is generally accepted due to deserving a last big pay cheque or they have had such a long career at the same club loyalty can't be questioned.

Slater debuted in 2003 Foran I think was 2009 so I guess fans would love at least another 6 years of Foran and not feel the need to start over again and invest their enthusiasm into another player anytime soon to fill the void.

I don't understand how stereotyping a generation based on the year they were born as any less offensive than generalising according to race or religion. i.e saying anyone born in a time certain period is disloyal is exactly the same as saying all aborigines are X and all Muslims are Y is it not?

No, but do you think a person would be different who was bo

Commme onnnn maaaate...lets have ONE debate without abusing each other :) I think what some people saying here has merit. The game has changed, especially around player fickleness, because of the generation these kids fall into.

What I posted was ONE example. Do some research guys (if your interested in the topic), and you'll see that there are various forms of hypothesis about various generations, that yes, may be generalisations as a whole, but still covers a large proportion of the grouped populace.

I'm trying to say that the young kids coming through DO only think of number one, and there here and now (not long term viability and/or security).

I particularly like the part where those old farts who say Australia is all about giving a fair go

Then they deny that so called fair go based on year of birth

So yeah fair go mate if your born within 10 years of me, otherwise you're worthless
I love the fact that apparently we're entitled. The irony is that the baby boomer generations parents typically left an estate or wealth once they passed. This then enhanced the wealth of the baby boomers further driving up housing prices and affordability. Now the baby boomer generation will spend their wealth before the pass. I personally think they should spend every cent it's theirs to do with as they wish. However the notion that gen y gets anything handed to it on a silver platter is complete and utter bull****. We've been born into a **** storm of inherited economic and environmental problems and then we cop ****

Commme onnnn maaaate...lets have ONE debate without abusing each other :) I think what some people saying here has merit. The game has changed, especially around player fickleness, because of the generation these kids fall into.

What I posted was ONE example. Do some research guys (if your interested in the topic), and you'll see that there are various forms of hypothesis about various generations, that yes, may be generalisations as a whole, but still covers a large proportion of the grouped populace.

I'm trying to say that the young kids coming through DO only think of number one, and there here and now (not long term viability and/or security).
The fact your are trying to justify an offensive stereotype is moronic. I have a degree in social policy and sociology I don't need to do any more reading. I also have a masters degree. Would you like a cited explanation of why your stereotyping is stupid, offensive and not backed up by any valid academic evidence? As to your last paragraph. I don't believe that is true. As much as I hate it taking 4mil over 4 years with options in your favour secures your future. As a job if you're thinking of your future does it matter if you win? Not every player wants to go into media after footy. It's not possible for all.
I also believe that stereotyping a footballer as representative of a generation is moronic. Would you like me to class the entire baby boomer generation as chauvinistic and immature like Paul vautin. Perhaps I could say you're all as intelligent as Pauline Hanson. Or maybe you have the foresight and intellect of George bush. These aren't even terribly shocking examples. My point is don't throw stones. The last few generations have ****ed up the country and the planet and it is now left to y and beyond to pick up the pieces

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...fore-start-of-nrl-season-20141203-11zavo.html

Kieran Foran to make decision on his future at Manly before start of NRL season
Date
December 3, 2014
Michael Chammas

Manly five-eighth Kieran Foran insists he won't let his contract negotiations become a distraction for the Sea Eagles, saying he intends to make a decision on his future before the start of the season.

The Kiwi five-eighth is off contract at Manly at the end of 2015, with several clubs keen to lure the premiership-winning playmaker away from the Sea Eagles for 2016 and beyond.

While Foran admitted he was weighing up all his options, he said it was important he didn't rush into a decision.

"It would be nice [to get it done soon], I certainly don't want it to be a distraction going through to next year," Foran said.

"I'm also wary, I don't want to rush into any decisions just yet. I'm enjoying my break at the moment. Once I throw the boots on and get back to training next year I'll be able to assess my options."

Contract discussions plagued the Sea Eagles throughout 2014, with the futures of Anthony Watmough and Glenn Stewart dominating the headlines.

Having witnessed the effect of that on his team last season, Foran is determined not to repeat history.

"I don't want it dragging on through the season, you saw what that did to us this season gone," he said. "I'm sure there won't be any of that. But as long as I get it wrapped up before the season starts I'll be pretty happy."

Canterbury, Parramatta and the Sydney Roosters are the favourites to snare Foran if he decides to leave the northern beaches.

However, Foran insists it would be difficult to leave the club he has led to two premierships.

"It would be [hard to leave Manly]," he said.

"I've been in Manly since I was a 16-year-old, so I've grown to love the place and I love the area. Certainly it's very close to home for me. I'll get back to training, assess the options and make a decision then."

The inaugural Auckland Nines was a raging success in February, creating plenty of excitement in the tournament for next year.

The tournament will be played over the weekend from January 31 at Eden Park, and while Manly coach Geoff Toovey will be reluctant to risk his star player so close to the season, Foran hinted that he would like to take part in the tournament after missing this year's event back home in New Zealand.

"I think it's a great initiative," Foran said.

"I sat at home last year and watched it from the couch. It would be great to be a part of it this year.

"I think it ran really smoothly last year and the fans really loved it. I get back into training in early January – hopefully Tooves will let me play.

"I've had a long year and on top of the Four Nations it will probably come down to whether he would want me to have the extra kilometres in the legs.

"Like I said, I thought it was a great initiative and I would like to be a part of it. I pulled up good from the Four Nations campaign. I'm just resting up now, enjoying a bit of a break and some family time, but I'm looking forward to getting back into it in the start of next year.

"There's a lot of new faces down at training, but it's all going really well. Everyone is competing well with one another and they said it's a really good feel there at the moment."
===========================================
So we can blame the new guys for not inspiring him :giggle:

P.s ryan a hypthesis is worthless. It doesn't need evidence. A theory has merit. E.g. I can hypothesize that you have a narrow minded, prejudiced view of the world that you believe is relevant simply because you have existed for a greater number of years. Here is a simple graphic to help you understand (ignore the evolution bit)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 9
I don't understand how stereotyping a generation based on the year they were born as any less offensive than generalising according to race or religion. i.e saying anyone born in a time certain period is disloyal is exactly the same as saying all aborigines are X and all Muslims are Y is it not?
I think it is safe to say each new generation is softer than the last lol.

To be honest someone labelled a hard worker now is different from the past due to the type of jobs in modern times require different skillsets that showcase a mental toughness not easily gauged like getting dirty.

But I do see a softness in our forwards that needs to be addressed.

Sometimes I feel the older generation over value "Loyalty" because in general they fear change and the loyalty suits them more than the person making the decision---which is selfish.

I do believe young players should earn their dues and respect the culture set up by the senior player group but sometimes the senior player group can have way too much power and create laziness in the back end of their careers with an ownership not inclusive mentality.

I can see how the younger generation especially under salary cap constraints(that are over hyped but nonetheless do exist) can get frustrated with restrained growth financially and growing as a player, over inflated house prices also make it hard to resist a quick upgrade or large contract on offer.

FMD, I get into a little " spat" about the " me generation ", go out for a nice Sunday lunch ( and gee I'm sorry but yes I did spend some of my kids inheritance) and come back to a ****storm on Silvertails.

I know I'm pushing **** up hill on here with a large percentage of members under 30, but I could do with a few old farts giving me a bit of support hey @ManlyBacker or @SeaEagleRock8

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...fore-start-of-nrl-season-20141203-11zavo.html

Kieran Foran to make decision on his future at Manly before start of NRL season
Date
December 3, 2014
Michael Chammas

Manly five-eighth Kieran Foran insists he won't let his contract negotiations become a distraction for the Sea Eagles, saying he intends to make a decision on his future before the start of the season.

The Kiwi five-eighth is off contract at Manly at the end of 2015, with several clubs keen to lure the premiership-winning playmaker away from the Sea Eagles for 2016 and beyond.

While Foran admitted he was weighing up all his options, he said it was important he didn't rush into a decision.

"It would be nice [to get it done soon], I certainly don't want it to be a distraction going through to next year," Foran said.

"I'm also wary, I don't want to rush into any decisions just yet. I'm enjoying my break at the moment. Once I throw the boots on and get back to training next year I'll be able to assess my options."
Well to be fair to Foran he stated in the first quote that his preference is to get it done soon

Contract discussions plagued the Sea Eagles throughout 2014, with the futures of Anthony Watmough and Glenn Stewart dominating the headlines.

Having witnessed the effect of that on his team last season, Foran is determined not to repeat history.

"I don't want it dragging on through the season, you saw what that did to us this season gone," he said. "I'm sure there won't be any of that. But as long as I get it wrapped up before the season starts I'll be pretty happy."

Canterbury, Parramatta and the Sydney Roosters are the favourites to snare Foran if he decides to leave the northern beaches.

However, Foran insists it would be difficult to leave the club he has led to two premierships.

"It would be [hard to leave Manly]," he said.

"I've been in Manly since I was a 16-year-old, so I've grown to love the place and I love the area. Certainly it's very close to home for me. I'll get back to training, assess the options and make a decision then."

The inaugural Auckland Nines was a raging success in February, creating plenty of excitement in the tournament for next year.

The tournament will be played over the weekend from January 31 at Eden Park, and while Manly coach Geoff Toovey will be reluctant to risk his star player so close to the season, Foran hinted that he would like to take part in the tournament after missing this year's event back home in New Zealand.

"I think it's a great initiative," Foran said.

"I sat at home last year and watched it from the couch. It would be great to be a part of it this year.

"I think it ran really smoothly last year and the fans really loved it. I get back into training in early January – hopefully Tooves will let me play.

"I've had a long year and on top of the Four Nations it will probably come down to whether he would want me to have the extra kilometres in the legs.

"Like I said, I thought it was a great initiative and I would like to be a part of it. I pulled up good from the Four Nations campaign. I'm just resting up now, enjoying a bit of a break and some family time, but I'm looking forward to getting back into it in the start of next year.

"There's a lot of new faces down at training, but it's all going really well. Everyone is competing well with one another and they said it's a really good feel there at the moment."
===========================================
So we can blame the new guys for not inspiring him :giggle:

Well to be fair to Foran he stated in the first quote that his preference is to get it done soon not "it must be done soon" and in the second quote Foran replied as long as it is wrapped up before the season starts he will be "happy".

None of the above are deadlines just his personal preference, he does not want it dragging on into the season meaning the worst case scenario is he wants it settled in the early rounds so it does not drag well into the season.

He might want to stay and not wanting to leave and giving every opportunity for Manly to be competitive so he is not forced to leave by a ridiculous offer he can't refuse.

We don't know the reasons for the delay but yeah I do agree the quotes don't help his cause but he did not set a deadline which is the truth.

Each generation does not get softer. The Baby Boomers are the most indulged and privileged generation mankind has seen, and they are the ones who raised Gen Y which contain the likes of Foran and DCE. So Ryan, for a start get your generations right.

Millennials will be the first group to not know a pre Internet era. They are not 'soft', they are miles ahead in formation by 18 than Gen X were in the late 80s. They can multi task, are media savvy and manage relationally. And most importantly they don't have a blinkered, black and white, bigoted view like many born before 1960.

Each generation does not get softer. The Baby Boomers are the most indulged and privileged generation mankind has seen, and they are the ones who raised Gen Y which contain the likes of Foran and DCE. So Ryan, for a start get your generations right.

Millennials will be the first group to not know a pre Internet era. They are not 'soft', they are miles ahead in formation by 18 than Gen X were in the late 80s. They can multi task, are media savvy and manage relationally. And most importantly they don't have a blinkered, black and white, bigoted view like many born before 1960.
100% agree

Plus they spent so much time thinking if they could instead of thinking first of if they should

You know destroy the planet and such

Last edited:
We didn't start it but the ferocity with which we feel the need to defend ourselves is testament to the **** attitudes prevalent in society

I just think we're tired of the bull****

I'd say boomers went on the most strikes of any generation ever then trot out calling others disloyal

How's not working anymore until your pay goes up loyal to any given company

I'm sure they were on award wage but that's not good enough

You're all generalizing fellow posters on here, based on the "era" in which they grew up.. Give it break..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8