Gallop must go

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
bazeagle said:
.. . Like I say, he's not done everything right. And I believe he would be the first to say that. . .
Are you seriously suggesting David Gallop would be the first to admit he has not done everything right? I'm afraid it's way too late for that, so many others have said it, while he steadfastly refuses to apologise for doing anything wrong!

bazeagle said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
Cmon Baz, you are a Gallop supporter, yet everytime someone asks you to put a case forward in the positive for him, you have absolutely zero to offer, apart from name calling, on what the good he is bringing to the game of Rugby League is ?
I reckon he does a pretty fair job. From a simple fans point of view, the game is amazingly entertaining. It's riveting being a fan. He has managed to help bring about record crowds & record TV viewing numbers. And that has been achieved in a climate of old school chips on shoulders by certain media and club personnel, stupid vendettas and factional political agendas. It's almost impossible to win in that climate. Yes he's made mistakes. Everyone on this forum makes those at work. Or is he the only one? Come on. It's time to move on. And enjoy the greatest game. Rugby League.

David? Is that you?

Gould helped save the NRL, with Bozo and Quayle they fought the good fight.

Gallop is the enemy from super league. Many will never get over that.

I don't think Gallop is a great administrator but there are a few things I think he's copped some unnecessary flack for, or perhaps not given credit for. I don't solely blame him for the current poor TV deal. Considering the make up of the NRL Partnership Board and the TV landscape at the time, there really wasn't much else anyone could have done. Despite what some quarters might say, the stripping of the Storms premierships last year is just about an unprecedented punishment in world sport and I think was a reasonably brave decision, I'm not sure how much of the credit he should get for that though.

That being said, he has handled a lot of situations poorly, namely the Brett Stewart saga. I don't blame him as much for the early days, that was a pretty hectic time for the game with an off season of hell of poor player behaviour, (and still some unanswered question for me) but as the Boss I would have thought its in his best interests to have a good working relationship with all the clubs and for him not dealing with the obvious ill feeling early on and still refusing to attempt to sort it out is not good leadership.

bazeagle said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
Cmon Baz, you are a Gallop supporter, yet everytime someone asks you to put a case forward in the positive for him, you have absolutely zero to offer, apart from name calling, on what the good he is bringing to the game of Rugby League is ?
I reckon he does a pretty fair job. From a simple fans point of view, the game is amazingly entertaining. It's riveting being a fan. He has managed to help bring about record crowds & record TV viewing numbers. And that has been achieved in a climate of old school chips on shoulders by certain media and club personnel, stupid vendettas and factional political agendas. It's almost impossible to win in that climate. Yes he's made mistakes. Everyone on this forum makes those at work. Or is he the only one? Come on. It's time to move on. And enjoy the greatest game. Rugby League.

Your point is noted Baz. However, your point is incorrect. Gallop is not the reason crowds are bigger, its the clubs. Gallop has done nothing to help grow the game and hasn't done anything in my opinion that warrants respect. You said we have tall poppy syndrome? That is a load of garbage.

The game would be better with someone in charge that wasn't a News Corp bean counter or lawyer stooge.

Yes we all make mistakes but, other than the fines placed on Melbourne, I can't remember one thing he has done right. Yes, the club should move on, but I also believe that we'd all be better off with a CEO that we all respect rather than one that most fans despise.

I think Gus wants his job..Although he is a nob ,He loves the game ,almost as much as himself !!

bazeagle said:

Got it. The two specific reasons why you say you love Gallop are:
1. Gallop has made the game more entertaining
2. Gallop has brought record crowds & TV viewing numbers

But is that true? Are you willing to look rather than believe?
1. I'm struggling to think of a single contribution Gallop has made to make the game more entertaining. Can you help me?
2. In 1996, just prior to him taking over, Rugby League had record crowds and record TV viewership. In addition, the biggest boost to Rugby League in 100 years happened then when Paul Keating introduced pay TV to Australia. In this highly favourable environment, Gallop's reign saw crowds and TV viewership plummet. Agreed? And it took about 10 years to get back to the 1996 levels, despite the population increasing by 14% over that time. The population today is 24% higher than in 1996. You can show me that Gallop has grown the game by 24% in that time?

... as if

I'm beginning to wonder whether you're just another News Ltd stooge supporting this News Ltd stooge.

I don't love Gallop.
I'm just sick and tired of the hackneyed old school vendetta crap dished out here by people that can't seem to be able to move on from anything.
I don't even know what being a news ltd stooge means. I do know it's a load of old bollocks. I'll say it again. Time to move on from tired ancient agendas.

Jethro, I was just starting to think the very same thing.

Is Bazeagle really David Gallop?

Jethro said:
bazeagle said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

David? Is that you?

I seem to remember TV pictures of DG in the Melbourne dressing room when they qualified for the Grand Final in 2008. He seemed very happy and relaxed there then.

If he is now embracing Brisbane, hmm does history repeat itself?

Do we get to beat Brisbane 40 - 0, I hope so

Bazeagle, what I see as Gallop's greatest error is to lay down and let the TV stations broadcast our game at ridiculous hours in expansionary areas. If our game is the highest rating thing on the box, then what is the problem with standing over his media mates and demanding a better deal now. He's just to callow for mine. He appears stupid and mean when addressing any issue to do with the game. As well, I'm puzzled as to his presence in certain team dressing rooms, (not a good look). It smacks at bias from a team sport CEO. He should be above this, or at least appear so. He was the guy who appointed Harrigan as referee supremo. Harrigan, who was recently employed by certain teams and as such, should have been eliminated from consideration. Lastly, the Brett issue. When he sits down with Carney and offers 'fatherly' advice with his many misdemeanors that certainly brought our game into disrepute on more than one occasion, and offers nothing but fines and suspensions to a cleanskin, what hope is there? I fail to see why the clubs can't/don't call for a competitive search for a CEO, and then Gallop can test himself against the rest/best. After all, isn't this what the game is all about?

bazeagle said:
I don't love Gallop.
I'm just sick and tired of the hackneyed old school vendetta crap dished out here by people that can't seem to be able to move on from anything.
I don't even know what being a news ltd stooge means. I do know it's a load of old bollocks. I'll say it again. Time to move on from tired ancient agendas.

So you agree Baz that the fan/viewing numbers haven't increased anything like the population growth so in real terms Gallop has shrunk the game during his reign, despite having the most favourable conditions for growth ever. And you agree that he has not done anything of significance to improve the game as a spectacle. That is two fails on your two criteria for judging the man.

You don't even know what a News Ltd stooge is, baz? Let me ask you, would you be a News Ltd stooge if you hypothetically:
1. Represented the game, but for personal gain negotiated the TV rights to favour News Ltd at the expense of the game, costing the game hundreds of millions of dollars?
2. Were a News Ltd reporter/commentator/editor and warped your reporting to favour News Ltd at the expense of the truth?
3. Were a News Ltd reporter/commentator/editor or a News Ltd selected Rugby League official and warped your reporting or actions to favour News Ltd owned teams over non-News Ltd teams? For example, if you prevented a second team being created in a rugby league stronghold of 2 million people because the existing team was highly profitable and owned by News Ltd - and instead started teams in marginal rugby league locations.
4. Were a non-News Ltd reporter/commentator/editor and warped your reporting to favour News Ltd at the expense of the truth in order to open personal career possibilities within News Ltd?
5. Were a Rugby League official and knee-jerk reacted to a situation like Brett Stewart's, in order to fuel a media feeding frenzy, because doing so favoured News Ltd at the expense of the game?
6. Were a News Ltd reporter/commentator/editor and deliberately warped your reporting to favour the News Ltd chosen Rugby League official?
7. So favoured the interests of News Ltd over the interests of the game that News Ltd make it a key condition of negotiations to exit the game that you remain as CEO for an extended term?

If everyone is so concerned about Gallops ongoing involvement in the game then email the Club and as them to comment on these two points.

"This is the environment that has existed under Gallop's leadership of the NRL and News Ltd's ownership of the game. If you dare to speak out against their authority you will be publicly slammed so that you get the message to sit down and shut up. Other NRL club chief executives tell me they also fear backlashes against their clubs in other ways if they don't toe the party line."

"I seriously doubt Gallop would win an election among the 16 NRL clubs to get the role of chief executive under the new independent commission if this was put to a vote."

Why is the MWSE Club just standing around and letting this happen ? We of all clubs should be standing up to this Goose and demanding accountability. Why aren't Manly publicly questioning his suitability for the role ? Are we the Manly club endorsing David Gallop's bid to be CEO of the new IC ?

However I'm almost certain that the reply you get from the Club will be that they would prefer to "live on their knees" in this instance. Pretty weak and un-Manly like, but unless there is a groundswell of member indignation at the situation then the Club will just bend over and assume the position.

The reason is that IC will not get off the ground w/o News Ltd agreement and that included the Goose getting a position. Maybe that will change but that is my understanding. They have the clubs by the gonads.

How long did it take this guy to bow to pressure and change the night tim grand final back a few hours, it should be taken back further to 3pm in my opinion as well.

It would be good to have a leader of the game, who listened to the fans rather than dictated to them

The best thing to do is for the IC to be formed with gallop as CEO with whatever minimal term contract can be negotiated and then dump him once News Ltd is out of the way & instal a new CEO that suits the board.

The monetary loss via his payout would be well worth it and well afforded if we receive the TV rights deal thats appropriate.

Rex: way too much information in your reply post. Boring bud.
Like I said, Leave Gallop alone.
Reason is, to repeat, Gallop hasn't done that bad a job given the inherent factional structure of the NRL which gives rise to major deep seated vendettas and chips on many shoulders.
Leave Gallop alone.
Because, and no-one has given much thought to this, what happens if he does leave?
Who replaces him? Right. Hmmm. Could be a bigger problem again. Is anyone thinking about that? Na. Guess not eh.

Sorry Baz, but you can't expect to win people over to your way of thinking with posts like that; especially when your opponent (Rex) has put a little bit of thought into his rebuttals.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6