GAME DAY - Manly v Bulldogs [Round 1, 2016]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
What did you think of Matai's tackle? I didn't think there was much in it especially with Tolman slipping, Taupau's shoulder charge was plain stupid, a non event but wouldn't be surprised to see him given a charge.

With the Manly/ Matai loading ......2-3 weeks!!

Ww looked to have gone backwards. I can't believe it.

How can a team which have apparently bought so well go so far backwards ?

Game time chemistry & combinations. Check this out:

The Cowboys need to take a look in the mirror

They were firing on all cylinders coming into Round 1. They looked potent, quick and powerful in the pre-season, yet it all came unstuck as the Cowboys opened the turnstiles for the Roosters to frolic through for four-pointer after four-pointer. Coach Paul Green wouldn't entertain discussion about devotion to the cause, instead pointing toward a lack of pressure as a reason for the 28-4 defeat.

"Our guys are committed, there is no doubt about that but we just didn't tackle well tonight. We failed to build any sort of pressure. In that first half early on we fought our way back, got an opportunity down there and then off a dropout, dropped it off a kick," he said.

The 17,123 fans in attendance however, could tell a vastly different story – one in which North Queensland played with a distinct lack of energy, which showed up primarily in defensive line speed and play-the-ball. Considering the intense hype coming into the year, Thurston and his troops would be best served with a more wholehearted 80-minute performance against Newcastle in seven days time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was the ball stripped from Jorge in first or second try? 2 in the tackle and the stupid bunker with its 4 screens mysteriously won't look at it.No excuses threw away too much ball,but lets be serious 1st game with that many changes what did we expect.Looking forward to Tigers next week. Parcel made a big difference and we looked better in the 2nd half.

PATIENCE PEOPLE look at our squad and remember-Rome wasn't built in a day

I dont think Matai has a case to answer. The wests player, well I dont really care, it makes no difference.

Hard to get a roll on when Canterbury are wrestling like the Storm. The refs gave up on blowing the whistle and the doggies kept tackling the same way.

Upsides from tonight's game for me:

Effort never waned. They all kept trying. A lot of new players and combinations that will take time to gel.

Downsides:

Not sure if offensive game plan wasn't there or not implemented, but we looked as disjointed as last year. Discipline (ball control, penalties etc) was terrible.

My thoughts on each player:

Tom T - Was easily our best IMO. We have a special talent.

Wil I Am - Muffed a grubber in goal, limited ops. Would have preferred to see someone like Goodall or Lavaka given a chance.

Killer - limited ops, but looked a handful for Morris, who's good in defense, when he got a little space.

Skivvy - Some dumb decisions, but good effort.

Horgan - see above

Walker - give him more time, but thought he would of played more a running role than play maker role.

DCE - to add to above, he needs to take control in the red zone. He didn't in the first half. When he did in the second we looked more dangerous.

Jake T - doesn't know how to play a bad game. Thought he could of played more minutes and maybe give Tapau a rest.

Api - looked good. Nippy, good service, got through some defence.

Myles - ok. Some good runs, some solid defense.

Brown - bench utility at best. You know what you get with him. Unfortunately that's mediocrity.

Green - he was ok, but prefer T-Red.

Kapow - for someone who's never played 80 min, thought he kept his intensity up ok. Think he could be rested for 10 min in second half to freshen him up and give those 10 min to Jake T.

Lussick - thought he went well off the bench with some strong charges.

Vave - big unit, went well. Used in a couple of 15 min spells could be damaging.

Parcell - provided some energy but surprisingly through a couple of bootlace balls.

Leary - good energy, just not sure how he fits into our top 17.

One positive is on this form we won't lose DCE and Myles at state of origin time.

I think that's a positive.
Matai, shouldn't get suspended for that - it was hardly high and Tolman slipped into it. Kapow's effort was just stupid and came from frustration. He'll cop a week or two - simple garden variety shoulder charge, hard to see how he can even try to argue it.
And exactly why the service station attendant who served me tonight told me that he doesn't watch rugby league much anymore. Since they changed the game, he says.
Maybe the NRL should start talking to service station attendants and stop taking calls from school principals.

Solid points Ryan....this is not Won in round 1....all disappointed to lose but get a grip....

Just back from Bookie...
All I can say is we offered little in defence & even less in attack..

I recorded the game... Not sure I want to watch it now..

To those saying, "Give Cherry the ball", that's only going to work if he wants the ball. He hasn't put himself in position to get the ball or do anything in attack, probably because the big Dogs forwards have run at him from tackle one. But that's no excuse - he has to get in there and take control. It's his attack to run, nobody else's. And not finding touch with that kick was unforgivable.
Can't say there hasn't been any effort, but the mistakes and penalties have absolutely killed us. I was a little worried when the Dogs touched up a full-strength Melbourne team in their last trial and never expected a win but I did expect a better performance than this.
Hate Hasler. Hate the Dogs. But I'm happy for Donny Singe, who was one of many who deserved better treatment from our club last year.
Talking about DCE not finding touch it happened twice in the U20's game. Also Canterbury scored a try when the ball was battered back incorrectly in the in goal in the U20's game too.

I don't think it is anywhere near as bad as many of you are making out. The off-season gave us so much excitement with the new signings and obviously many of you feel deflated after the meek showing tonight. It's important to remember that the Bulldogs have practically the same team as last year and the same pack of forwards they've had for 3 years.

The cohesion of the Bulldogs was simply too much and we looked a little gun shy and unsure of ourselves; round 1. I think we will still have a great season and I am reading very little into tonights performance.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8