LiveBlog GAME DAY - Manly v Knights Round 9,2015 [1291569]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Gonna put my Dad hat on for a sec - did anyone else think our mascots were very inappropriate today?

On a side note, not only did Snake score his 150th and 151st NRL tries today (only the 10th player to reach the 150 and with Billy Slater one of only 2 current players on the list), he also equalled Beaver's try record in a Manly jumper with his second of the day (if you go by the NRL line that Beaver scored 29 for the NE).

What a great performance from the whole team, I didn't realise Leary was such a meter eater. Really impressed with him today.
Imo the knight have one of the best if not the best back row in the comp with smith Scott and sims but our forwards really stood tall today
@Mark from Brisbane and I have been singing his praises - so good to see him shine today.
Considering he is still working through a bulging disc problem, he was a great replacement for Ferris :clap:

Oh, apparently Ferris had his operation this week - so all the best to the Little Battler :angel:

Just some game stats.....(from the NRL)

Possession - Manly 48%, Knights 52%
Sets - Manly 30/37 (81%), Knights 25/36 (69%)
Runs/Metres - Manly 183 for 1,716. Knights 171 for 1,518
Line Breaks - Manly 7, Knights 5
Offloads - Manly 9, Knights 15
Kick Metres - Manly 729, Knights 216
Tackles - Manly 303, Knights 338
Missed Tackles - Manly 32, Knights 13

Manly:
Runs/Metres - Leary (20/188), Trbojevic (14/158), Horo (15/141), Burgess (14/136), Taufua (13/105), Hiku (12/102), Lui (12/100)
Tackles - Ballin 43, Leary 40, Cherry-Evans 29, Lui 29, Trbojevic 25, Symonds 23, Sao 23
Missed Tackles - Cherry-Evans 5, Lui 5, Lyon 4, Hiku 4
Line Breaks - Cherry-Evans 2, Stewart 1, Taufua 1, Hiku 1, Trbojevic 1, Sao 1

Families first game at Brookie this year. Great win today. Great day. Jeez I love Sunday arvo footy. Nothing beats it. Only 10,000 punters there but a great atmosphere. I feel sorry for teams playing out of those big soul less grounds. Brookie may not be much but she's ours.

Just some game stats.....(from the NRL)

Possession - Manly 48%, Knights 52%
Sets - Manly 30/37 (81%), Knights 25/36 (69%)
Runs/Metres - Manly 183 for 1,716. Knights 171 for 1,518
Line Breaks - Manly 7, Knights 5
Offloads - Manly 9, Knights 15
Kick Metres - Manly 729, Knights 216
Tackles - Manly 303, Knights 338
Missed Tackles - Manly 32, Knights 13

Manly:
Runs/Metres - Leary (20/188), Trbojevic (14/158), Horo (15/141), Burgess (14/136), Taufua (13/105), Hiku (12/102), Lui (12/100)
Tackles - Ballin 43, Leary 40, Cherry-Evans 29, Lui 29, Trbojevic 25, Symonds 23, Sao 23
Missed Tackles - Cherry-Evans 5, Lui 5, Lyon 4, Hiku 4
Line Breaks - Cherry-Evans 2, Stewart 1, Taufua 1, Hiku 1, Trbojevic 1, Sao 1
If we can sort out the missed tackles, there is no stopping us. Great effort from DCE to be high up in the tackle count. Please show him the money!!

32 missed tackles ?? Wow didn't seem that bad, I'm guessing most of them were in and around the ruck which was a bit leaky today.

Brett Stewart and Daly Cherry-Evans star as Manly Sea Eagles win second straight NRL game
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...second-straight-nrl-game-20150510-ggy853.html
May 10, 2015 - 4:18PM
Chris Barrett

Are the sleeping giants of this NRL competition beginning to stir?

It's been a dismal start to the season for the perennial heavyweights, collecting only the two wins and heading into Sunday's match against Newcastle stone motherless. That's not to even utter a word of internal troubles on the northern beaches, and disappointment at the pending exits of their brilliant halves.

They may just have rediscovered their mojo, however, and in the nick of time, with plenty of space between now and September for them to make a run at the semi-finals.

A 20-point win over the Knights was their second straight win and while they have given their rivals a fair head start they fired a warning signal with their dominant display on Sunday, led superbly by Daly Cherry-Evans and Brett Stewart.

Those two might not get on, but when they're turning in performances like this, who cares. Stewart scored a double, passing the 150 NRL tries milestone in the process and Cherry-Evans, in the absence of injured partner in crime Kieran Foran, was in everything, capping it off with a try of his own set up, of course, by Stewart.

The Knights, who were early season leaders, have now lost five in a row and are quickly looking like also-rans.

There has been plenty made of how poor an imitation of previous Manly teams this year's edition is. Their pack, for instance, have been knocked for lacking punch, but they went some way towards restoring their reputation as well. Youngster Jake Trbojevic was outstanding and newcomer Blake Leary impressed as well.

The last time Manly were here, in round three, Brookvale Oval was slammed for its condition. It had so much sand on it they may as well have been playing Canterbury at Dee Why beach.

Unlike their still significant list of sidelined players, however, Manly's treasured home base was pronounced fit to feature again, and it was the Sea Eagles who made best use of the resurfaced ground, using its full breadth to race to a 12-0 lead after 23 minutes.

Tries to Jorge Taufua and then Stewart - the 150th of the champion fullback's career - brought the 10,065 crowd to their feet, and the Manly No.1 had them believing once again with a wonderful try-saving tackle to deny Newcastle winger James McManus soon after. Stewarts' second try equalled Menzies all time Manly record of 151.

There was a hint of the defensive issues that have plagued Manly this season, especially down their right side as the Knights found a leak or two, and they were fortunate that a piece of trickery with the boot from Newcastle fullback Dane Gagai did not gain the approval of the video officials.

There was effectively a 12-point turnaround when a lovely Cherry-Evans double pump laid on a try for Ligi Sao just before half-time.

The Knights found there way onto the scoreboard, scoring first via McManus in the second half but from there it was all Manly.

Families first game at Brookie this year. Great win today. Great day. Jeez I love Sunday arvo footy. Nothing beats it. Only 10,000 punters there but a great atmosphere. I feel sorry for teams playing out of those big soul less grounds. Brookie may not be much but she's ours.
Yep, my sentiments to. I loved every minute of it. I've got great memories of going to Brookvale and balancing on the corner fence, waiting for the siren to sound so I could try to jag the corner post. Then running around the field with my football and diving over for a try. So it's great to play with my kids on the same ground, some 37+ years later.

Sunny Sunday afternoons at Brookvale and watching the boys win…. it doesn't get much better.

If we can sort out the missed tackles, there is no stopping us. Great effort from DCE to be high up in the tackle count. Please show him the money!!

DCE is always high in the count. Its pretty obvious that opposition teams target him to tire him out. But.. he still smashes them in attack and they never learn.

Jeneagle and I are his biggest fans, and have repeatedly said why we wanted him over Foz ad infinitum. You just stumbled upon another reason why we have to keep him.

How many other halves can pull of solo what he did today after being 3rd in the tackle count

vossy even tweeted his "baron of brookvale" line (I guess in an attampt to kick start his own nickname idea).

Hopefully someone else on twitter tweets him to remind the man that it is and has been for years...the prince of brookie!

sheesh

commentators

Vossy has been calling Snake the "Baron of Brookvale" for a couple of years so its nothing new really.

People can call him the Prince or Baron of Brookvale all they like, but Snake's record at the ground speaks for itself - 81 tries in 88 games for a strike rate of 92.04%. No one, not even the Beaver or Bozo can match that.

The list of players who have scored at least 150 NSWRL/ARL/SL/NRL tries includes (in order of the number scored):

(Italics - played for Manly. Bold - current player)
Ken Irvine (212), Steve Menzies (180), Billy Slater (172), Andrew Ettingshausen (165), Terry Lamb (164), Matt Sing (159), Hazem El Masri (159), Nathan Merritt (154), Harold Horder (152), Brett Stewart (151).

Last edited:
EaglesDon post: 682441 said:
Great to see Snake aka The Prince of Brookvale looking fit and fast.
What's with Voss calling him the Baron of Brookvale, does this tosser think that he is a level above the fans and gets to rename the prince? The guy is a tool.

Vossy has been calling Snake the "Baron of Brookvale" for a couple of years so its nothing new really.

People can call him the Prince or Baron of Brookvale all they like, but Snake's record at the ground speaks for itself - 81 tries in 88 games for a strike rate of 92.04%. No one, not even the Beaver or Bozo can match that.

The list of players who have scored at least 150 NSWRL/ARL/SL/NRL tries includes (in order of the number scored):

(Italics - played for Manly. Bold - current player)
Ken Irvine (212), Steve Menzies (180), Billy Slater (172), Andrew Ettingshausen (165), Terry Lamb (164), Matt Sing (159), Hazem El Masri (159), Nathan Merritt (154), Harold Horder (152), Brett Stewart (151).

We should have 3 of the top 4 try scorers (yes I know Irvine score over 150 for norths but he still had some time in maroon and white) for quite a while

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8