Game thread ... US V Chooks ...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Plenty to like last night , Forwards much more dominant and playing as a unit , so much better for those slick outside plays then and largely well executed . Roosters not quite full strength but same obviously with Manly , just seemed to have Rooster 's measure all over the park when the best combinations were there . Fifita and Fainu certainly give that extra go forward but recovery and ruck defence so much better all round so far as well . Weekes at his best with room to move , maybe could transition to the centres . Good to see the Shu controlling the play with real confidence and awareness including a fairly decent kicking effort . Not sure what Alioia can add on present indications , bench role but can hardly be rated ahead of most of the other forward contenders and will have to lft a bit . Look a well drilled unit and well focused but some serious fire power on offer now also . Nothing that predictable but some really promising signs going into the season proper

Like how the Fox commentators were saying, the Roosters have some good players out, but failed to mention Manly had Turbo, DCE, Croker and Saab out. Oh sorry, Tallis did say very quietly, like a passing comment, "Manly have a few out as well" Tell me, why is it always a Roosters love fest with these guys..ugh !!

Like how the Fox commentators were saying, the Roosters have some good players out, but failed to mention Manly had Turbo, DCE, Croker and Saab out. Oh sorry, Tallis did say very quietly, like a passing comment, "Manly have a few out as well" Tell me, why is it always a Roosters love fest with these guys..ugh !!
and the lawman

Couldn't watch last night so just finished the replay now (without knowing the result) :)
Clearly some very good signs.

However a note of caution, it did appear that the Chooks often motored upfield very easily and our defence was not moving up on them. Contrasted with the Chooks who consistently moved up to make it hard for our go forward. Haven't seen any stats that was just how it felt to me.

Our on line defence though and scramble was very good (aside from that period in 2nd half)
Can't help thinking Chooks would have had us under the pump more if their handling wasn't so bad.
Bring on the Dawgs!

Last edited:
Couldn't watch last night so just finished the replay now (without knowing the result) :)
Clearly some very good signs.

However a not of caution, it did appear that the Chooks often motored upfield very easily and our defence was not moving up on them. Contrasted with the Chooks who consistently moved up to make it hard for our go forward. Haven't seen any stats that was just how it felt to me.

Our on line defence though and scramble was very good (aside from that period in 2nd half)
Can't help thinking Chooks would have had us under the pump more if their handling wasn't so bad.
Bring on the Dawgs!
nice add
i thought there errors let us off the hook constantly. some forced, many not
we have always done well with teams that have one finger on the self destruct button

manlys defence had some intensity early

i thought keppie, kelma and oku went in varying degrees of hell yeah
jake solid
toff ok
paseka, ailoi, came up short

even so the backs found a way

more good signs than bad though

Despite racking up the big lead, along the way Manly had to do a lot of back to back defensive sets. To Manly's credit, the Roosters couldn't score. But there was 4 'six agains' to the Roosters and there was just 1 given to Manly.

Was this Manly's tactic, to deliberately hold the Roosters to slow them down and then back ourselves to hold out the extra repeat tackles?

nice add
we have always done well with teams that have one finger on the self destruct button

jake solid
toff ok

True, but in our modern game now, getting back the momentum is so hard to do. If you noticed they were building nicely for a 4th try when Radley dropped the ball from a pass. That was the momentum change Manly wanted, then after that we went on to close out the game.

Think we're being a bit harsh on Ailoi, he was our forwards leader last year until we fell on our faces in the Rainbow round and then every game thereafter. It's his first run albeit just 15min, he's got the intimidation factor which every side needs. Probably just getting back to full fitness again, so, have faith, he'll be that forwards leader once again.
exactly what I was getting at he looks underdone but will get back to form with a few more games under his belt.

To be honest Croker out probably helped us, possibly DCE too

Also only fair to judge Croker in 2023.

Seibold and Flanagan may have a positive effect on his game

True, what I like about Ailoi is his hit ups are usually followed by a quick play the ball, and together with a take no prisoners defence like attitude.
I love him. Alpha leader takes no **** from nobody. Bends the line. Hits hard in defence. Easily our most intimidating front row forward. Just has to get the niggle out of his game.

nice add

jake solid
toff ok

I was only able to catch the replay late this arvo and whilst still feeling good about the result, I wasn't feeling as confident about some things as I was last night.

I agree the defence was willing early but it wasn't long before the Roosters were making easy metres. We still seem unable to slow the play the ball down without giving away penalties or 6 again. The Roosters were able to do all those annoying things they do in the play the ball to slow us down but we just suck at it.

Whilst our pressure was good, I just felt that had Walker, Keary and Manu been playing and Sualli had not been injured, that 1st half would have looked very different. Having said that, they did score some very nice tries.

As you say, Kelma and Oku were outstanding. Gordo looks the goods for the future and Jake was Jake. I'm liking the idea of him playing 10 but who to play 13 is the big question. Keps was good at times but he still looks like he runs too upright a lot of the time - and he's not a 13. The thing that really worried me was how much Paseka seemed to struggle. I'm one of his biggest supporters and I was really wanting to see something out of the box last night and it just didn't happen (I admit I haven't looked at his stats). There were a couple of moments but he just didn't seem on the same page as someone like Fifita. Shorter minutes of course could have flattered Fifita but he backed up his stint from last week, I thought. I can put it down to the heat coz Paseka is a big fella but geez he needs to lift if he's picked for the Bulldogs game or his position could become very shakey.

Again, I'm with you on JA. To be fair he didn't get much time and that may have been planned to ease him back in. He also had a couple of moments but it was mostly ... meh. And what's with the forearm back of the head thing he did. That's just BS grubby stuff and does nothing but make him look like a goose.

On the other hand, my goodness Koula is another one heading for stardom. But I do get a bit concerned with how much he wants to take the ball up. Even from tap kicks. He needs to curb that a bit or he'll soon be on the sidelines. If Parks recovers I still think he'll be the other centre (at least initially). Garrick to stay on the wing but I reckon the other is still for grabs. I think Weekes is ready for the 17 but where is the best spot for him when he comes off the bench (coz he wouldn't be a starter yet). Gordo would be a good tag team with Croker but there seems to be a question mark over the 30, right?

And the Shu had a couple of good touches but was pretty conservative - which was ok for mine. He didn't overplay his hand and more flair will come.

Anyway, overall I think we can be pleased (hey Jake!) with how they seem to be working more for each other than they were most of last year. We need a good couple of good weeks before the Bulldogs game and I can't wait to see them run out at Brookie. Go Manly!

I was only able to catch the replay late this arvo and whilst still feeling good about the result, I wasn't feeling as confident about some things as I was last night.

I agree the defence was willing early but it wasn't long before the Roosters were making easy metres. We still seem unable to slow the play the ball down without giving away penalties or 6 again. The Roosters were able to do all those annoying things they do in the play the ball to slow us down but we just suck at it.

Whilst our pressure was good, I just felt that had Walker, Keary and Manu been playing and Sualli had not been injured, that 1st half would have looked very different. Having said that, they did score some very nice tries.

As you say, Kelma and Oku were outstanding. Gordo looks the goods for the future and Jake was Jake. I'm liking the idea of him playing 10 but who to play 13 is the big question. Keps was good at times but he still looks like he runs too upright a lot of the time - and he's not a 13. The thing that really worried me was how much Paseka seemed to struggle. I'm one of his biggest supporters and I was really wanting to see something out of the box last night and it just didn't happen (I admit I haven't looked at his stats). There were a couple of moments but he just didn't seem on the same page as someone like Fifita. Shorter minutes of course could have flattered Fifita but he backed up his stint from last week, I thought. I can put it down to the heat coz Paseka is a big fella but geez he needs to lift if he's picked for the Bulldogs game or his position could become very shakey.

Again, I'm with you on JA. To be fair he didn't get much time and that may have been planned to ease him back in. He also had a couple of moments but it was mostly ... meh. And what's with the forearm back of the head thing he did. That's just BS grubby stuff and does nothing but make him look like a goose.

On the other hand, my goodness Koula is another one heading for stardom. But I do get a bit concerned with how much he wants to take the ball up. Even from tap kicks. He needs to curb that a bit or he'll soon be on the sidelines. If Parks recovers I still think he'll be the other centre (at least initially). Garrick to stay on the wing but I reckon the other is still for grabs. I think Weekes is ready for the 17 but where is the best spot for him when he comes off the bench (coz he wouldn't be a starter yet). Gordo would be a good tag team with Croker but there seems to be a question mark over the 30, right?

And the Shu had a couple of good touches but was pretty conservative - which was ok for mine. He didn't overplay his hand and more flair will come.

Anyway, overall I think we can be pleased (hey Jake!) with how they seem to be working more for each other than they were most of last year. We need a good couple of good weeks before the Bulldogs game and I can't wait to see them run out at Brookie. Go Manly!
Wouldn't be to down on the opposition making easy metres on us, this happens to everyone in the modern game now barring Penrith of course. It's how you handle the 5th tackle in the end that counts. Sure they were missing a few, same with us as well, Turbo, DCE, Croker and Saab.

Wouldn't be to down on the opposition making easy metres on us, this happens to everyone in the modern game now barring Penrith of course. It's how you handle the 5th tackle in the end that counts. Sure they were missing a few, same with us as well, Turbo, DCE, Croker and Saab.
Yep, we were missing a couple of key players namely Turbo and DCE but I don't think we lost much with Gordo and wing rotation (Saab's speed x factor not withstanding). But they were without most of the backline and a couple of their replacements were pretty ordinary. But you're right, it's how you regroup that counts and they did that pretty well. Altho, we got pinged a lot with 6 again calls. And yep, I agree alot of teams can get that momentum going from the play the ball. We just seem to struggle a bit. But anyway, some good signs but a few things to work on.

Yep, we were missing a couple of key players namely Turbo and DCE but I don't think we lost much with Gordo and wing rotation (Saab's speed x factor not withstanding). But they were without most of the backline and a couple of their replacements were pretty ordinary. But you're right, it's how you regroup that counts and they did that pretty well. Altho, we got pinged a lot with 6 again calls. And yep, I agree alot of teams can get that momentum going from the play the ball. We just seem to struggle a bit. But anyway, some good signs but a few things to work on.
Putting a halt to oppositions try scoring momentum usually after 2 tries have been scored is a hard thing to achieve. Combating this is easier said than done tho.

I'm not going to lie I don't like the guy as he has a bad smell about him imo.

However tbf he was one of our best middles last season so I think he deserves a chance this year again (at this stage).

However he always looks injured so a little concerned that we extended him (take away the off field ****e)
Yeah it a trial but he looked like crap.
It's the dumb stuff farcial why ?
We just got rid of Marty who dumb crap was off loads in poor spots and penalties given away.
He got work to do as middles of Jake, paseka and keppie looked pretty good to me

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6