GF TV ratings lowest since 08

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Bad for business. Get your dollars on eels v bronco gf for next year. The NRL will ensure the 2 biggest fan bases in the GF next year. They owe it to there partners
I don't know if you could get the Eels close to a premiership if you tried

I still remember Phil Gould in commentary actually praising the fact that the 2008 GF was played mostly in the afternoon because it allowed for better quality of play due to there being less dew on the ground making it slippery. But then Nein in their infinite wisdom (more to the point, pursuit of ratings and money and nothing more) wanted it moved back to the night time slot and the NRL, as always bowing down to their broadcast benefactors, went along with it.
I take it you did the same as me on Sunday night and cleansed your palate of the 2018 Grand Final with a full viewing of the 2008 Grand Final soon after?.

If so, smart you are!

NYEagle

Last weekend was another great chance to compare the commentary styles between our two major codes.

The pace of the games (AFL / NRL) do lend to a different delivery, but I can't help but think that Rab Warren wastes too much of his call NOT following the play. It is almost like he assumes that he needs to educate the viewers, over and over. The play continues in the background as he again tries to tell us why a penalty/call was made, or whatever (useless) knowledge he's gleamed over the last week on Player X. Gus offers gems, but then seems to enjoy the comment so much he'll say it again, and again, and again.

Highlights are limited to the breakdowns offered by the ex-players, with Joey and Sterlo in particularly giving a really important insight into the play/option. There is room across the board though for some serious training to lift the general standard, but I can't help but feel that the rot starts at the top requiring Rabs to move on before the delivery improves.

Watching the AFL, you can sense a really tight ship in the delivery. It is game focused and rides with the flow of the play. The commentary team all add value with very few irrelevant words. There is a real passion during the call as the play shifts and flows, with each comment aimed to add to the main call. It complements the vision, rarely distracting you from the experience.

Anyways, figured this was as good a thread to mention this in post-GF and noting the ratings drop.

Last weekend was another great chance to compare the commentary styles between our two major codes.

The pace of the games (AFL / NRL) do lend to a different delivery, but I can't help but think that Rab Warren wastes too much of his call NOT following the play. It is almost like he assumes that he needs to educate the viewers, over and over. The play continues in the background as he again tries to tell us why a penalty/call was made, or whatever (useless) knowledge he's gleamed over the last week on Player X. Gus offers gems, but then seems to enjoy the comment so much he'll say it again, and again, and again.

Highlights are limited to the breakdowns offered by the ex-players, with Joey and Sterlo in particularly giving a really important insight into the play/option. There is room across the board though for some serious training to lift the general standard, but I can't help but feel that the rot starts at the top requiring Rabs to move on before the delivery improves.

Watching the AFL, you can sense a really tight ship in the delivery. It is game focused and rides with the flow of the play. The commentary team all add value with very few irrelevant words. There is a real passion during the call as the play shifts and flows, with each comment aimed to add to the main call. It complements the vision, rarely distracting you from the experience.

Anyways, figured this was as good a thread to mention this in post-GF and noting the ratings drop.

It’s not just the over-explaining and the random pointless snippets about players, it’s actually infuriating how much they talk about totally unrelated stuff - horse racing (because there’s clearly not enough gambling content), the pathetic advertising of Nein’s latest show (“have you been enjoying the latest series of Desperate Bachelor Blockheads, Rabs? I can’t get enough of it, did you see last week, can’t wait for Tuesday’s episode to find out what happens...” - meanwhile two tries have been scored, three players injured, and a streaker carted off by security...)...the mixing up of players (and not always lookalikes either, sometimes it’s actually players of different races the old coot confuses with one another, and takes 3 or 4 goes to figure out who the guy was with the ball several plays ago). Rabs has lost it and needs to be put out to pasture before he really embarrasses himself.

Sterling is the only one who is fairly consistently not-too-bad (although he wears his gambling addiction on his sleeve too). Johns varies between reasonably well-spoken and insightful one game, whacked off his chops and drooling the next. Fittler can occasionally contribute something halfway useful, but that nasal whine of his makes you want to stick kitchen knives in your eardrums. Lockyer can barely get a coherent sentence out at the best of times, and his voice isn’t pretty to listen to either. Wally is too often a dribbling old fool as well. And you’re not wrong about Gould - insightful, makes a good point, but repeats it eleventy billion times because he likes the sound of his own voice...

Just add it to the list of things where the AFL are now streets ahead and widening the distance.

It’s not just the over-explaining and the random pointless snippets about players, it’s actually infuriating how much they talk about totally unrelated stuff - horse racing (because there’s clearly not enough gambling content), the pathetic advertising of Nein’s latest show (“have you been enjoying the latest series of Desperate Bachelor Blockheads, Rabs? I can’t get enough of it, did you see last week, can’t wait for Tuesday’s episode to find out what happens...” - meanwhile two tries have been scored, three players injured, and a streaker carted off by security...)...the mixing up of players (and not always lookalikes either, sometimes it’s actually players of different races the old coot confuses with one another, and takes 3 or 4 goes to figure out who the guy was with the ball several plays ago). Rabs has lost it and needs to be put out to pasture before he really embarrasses himself.

Sterling is the only one who is fairly consistently not-too-bad (although he wears his gambling addiction on his sleeve too). Johns varies between reasonably well-spoken and insightful one game, whacked off his chops and drooling the next. Fittler can occasionally contribute something halfway useful, but that nasal whine of his makes you want to stick kitchen knives in your eardrums. Lockyer can barely get a coherent sentence out at the best of times, and his voice isn’t pretty to listen to either. Wally is too often a dribbling old fool as well. And you’re not wrong about Gould - insightful, makes a good point, but repeats it eleventy billion times because he likes the sound of his own voice...

Just add it to the list of things where the AFL are now streets ahead and widening the distance.

Re-load and put the safety on ..... I don't think you missed anyone ..... and I don't think any are getting up ....

I take it you did the same as me on Sunday night and cleansed your palate of the 2018 Grand Final with a full viewing of the 2008 Grand Final soon after?.

If so, smart you are!

NYEagle

I relented and watched the last 33 minutes of the game. Then I went and watched my Return of the Jedi DVD ;)

But apart from that, you like everything about Channel 9's commentary?

Yoka,.....
I have provided this advice free for the last 2 years and I am gladly providing it to you for the same price.
The wireless.
Your transistor.
Any station will do except if Dan g'Inane' is calling.
Much better...

Yoka,.....
I have provided this advice free for the last 2 years and I am gladly providing it to you for the same price.
The wireless.
Your transistor.
Any station will do except if Dan g'Inane' is calling.
Much better...

Agreed! However...I end up watching a lot of the games at work (I’d be doing something better with my time if I wasn’t working!) - so I don’t get much choice, apart from turning the sound off on my monitor!

Agreed! However...I end up watching a lot of the games at work (I’d be doing something better with my time if I wasn’t working!) - so I don’t get much choice, apart from turning the sound off on my monitor!
Yeah I'm the same but we don't have a tele there so I listen to an app on my work phone.

Yeah I'm the same but we don't have a tele there so I listen to an app on my work phone.

You 2 should apply for some sort of hardship allowance .....

I'm too old and grumpy to watch the four hours of teeny-bopper crap that precedes Grand finals! So, I looked on the NRL website to find the kick-off time and, lo, it was clearly stated that kick off was at 7:20PM. Anyhow, fifteen minutes after that, the game began. Even at my age, it makes me cringe to watch well-paid grown men who can't / won't sing the national anthem when there is a camera on them. I love the ease of using the mute button at half time...

FWIW, I didn't want either team to win.

Throughout the season, this would be true.

But as part of the current broadcast deal, the only way to watch a live stream of the GF is through 9Now. Fox and Telstra lost the right to broadcast the GF live through streaming options.

So unless people were streaming through 9Now, digital services wouldn't have impacted that greatly.

So 9now aside, this data also excludes group viewings. But unless more people are group watching the final, they happen every year.

The reality is the game has some serious issues, and it shows by the poor ratings.
Even then, the digital platforms available are atrocious. The NRL app is rubbish, the streaming options (app only) are rubbish and then the format of the content (no HD option with crap video formatting) is rubbish.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 56 16
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8