Gift gone...... to Souths!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
mickqld said:
Interesting interviews on Foxsports. King is absolutely gutted you could tell in his voice and demeanour. DCE was very cold and clinical about it. Basically said he's glad he's got his future sorted and we move on....hmmmm. The rift rumours of last year not so fanciful it seems. DCE didn't express any disappointment at Gift going.

At least he's not claiming a revolt, unlike Matai, Foran and others :(

Comments like:

"Matai believes if Stewart goes, others will do likewise.

"Definitely, if Glenn goes there will be a few players who will reconsider re-signing," Matai said.

"I hope it comes to a head in the next couple of days, I'm quite shocked it's taken this long.

"He built the culture with a lot of us; we've been together for 10 years and we've built this culture as a club. To see it almost go if Glenn goes is sort of sad, it would take away everything we've built."

Asked if the players had considered taking a pay cut to accommodate Stewart, the New Zealand international said: "We haven't spoken about that or contracts, we just know it's taken so long. I'm sure Glenn is disappointed the club hasn't sorted it out sooner rather than later.

"We've all taken pay cuts on the last few contracts to stick and play together, what more [can you do]. I hope the club sorts it out soon.

"It's hard because [management] don't see what goes on inside the club. We're quite a tight group of players here and I think they only see us as a number but don't actually know what sort of effect Glenn and the older players have on the club.

"If they take that into consideration they would have sorted it out a long time ago.""

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The whole situation has left a bitter taste around the place.

What s...s me the most is that some club will get a leg up from the NRL to get Bunji back like they did for the Rorters to retain $Billhype.

I understand the position the club was placed in and I understand Gifty's position. What I don't understand is the NRL's complete lack of a position. If they give salary cap exemptions to other clubs to bring back Benji and K. Hunt, for example, I'll be even more pissed about it than I am now.

Bearfax said:
The Who said:
Bearfax said:
But the League has designed a system (except for the TPAs) to ensure an even balance of talent across the comp and that's for the betterment of the game.

There is nothing even about this competition. Just look at the draw. Look at the amount of television one club, in particular, receives, and the resultant sponsorship money this generates for them.

Even!

All clubs come into the competition equally. It's just some are more equal than others - Animal Farm.

Didnt say it happens, and the TPAs are examples where the equality doesnt exists, but it better than what it was before. Sure the richer clubs and the clubs with clever management will always find a way to gain advantage. I'm not so cynical about the draw, but the aim of the salary cap was to make things more equal. But we're dealing with humans here not numbers.

You are wrong, the salary cap was never ever ever introduced to create an even competition! It's one and only purpose was to stop idiot clubs like Newtown, wests, Norths, Illawarra etc spending money they didn't have to attract players.

The even competition was an unintended by product, but soon adopted as a rationale.

The reason TPA's are attractive to the NRL is that it is money from an outside source being spent not from the club.

How much profit did Manly make last year? If manly was allowed to go over the salary cap for our 5/6 long term players to say the tune of $1 mil. have we got the money, did we make that much or does it mean the owners will just happily stump up more cash?

mickqld said:
Interesting interviews on Foxsports. King is absolutely gutted you could tell in his voice and demeanour. DCE was very cold and clinical about it. Basically said he's glad he's got his future sorted and we move on....hmmmm. The rift rumours of last year not so fanciful it seems. DCE didn't express any disappointment at Gift going.

Please don't perpetuate The Drip's myth that DCE is the problem :dodgy:

Commercial decision dictated Manly take care of their long term future and Gifty take care of his family's financial future.

DCE was matter of fact, he naturally would not have the history that the 2004 Players have with Gifty.
BJ on the Footy Show was the same, stating that its the nature of the NRL that Players need to move if they want to up their monies :cool:

Lets continue to support our beloved Manly, irrespective of who wears the game day jersey :)

HappilyManly said:
mickqld said:

Please don't perpetuate The Drip's myth that DCE is the problem :dodgy:

Commercial decision dictated Manly take care of their long term future and Gifty take care of his family's financial future.

DCE was matter of fact, he naturally would not have the history that the 2004 Players have with Gifty.
BJ on the Footy Show was the same, stating that its the nature of the NRL that Players need to move if they want to up their monies :cool:

Lets continue to support our beloved Manly, irrespective of who wears the game day jersey :)

Well said Helen!!

This whole saga has been drawn out and has taken away what we should be talking about and thats the football being played.

Gifty has been part of a team that is only 2nd to the team we had in the 70s for ongoing success.

The NRL have done bugger all to help the clubs look after long term players, yet throw themselves at mercenaries like SBW, thats so wrong.

As gutted as I am that this era is ending. I see a silver lining and it will give Jamie Burher a chance to nail down the lock forward position and re-unite a scrum base trio of he, DCE and Foz.

The team is going to be strong and Manly have lost legends before and moved on and we will be ok.

As a supporter for a few more years than some of you I have been through this saga many times, I seem to remember the sky was falling when we lost Bob Fulton, the world was at an end when Ronnie Gibbs signed with the Chargers, how could we let a club captain like Paul Vautin leave and play with Easts AND how could the club let an out and out champion like Steve Menzies walk away from the club.

There are MANY more examples.

Never once has the sky fallen in, never once has the club not gone on to bigger and better things in the years that followed.

We will again, as one door closes another opens, that's the game, always was and always will be.

Its sad that a club stalwart has been forced out, but regardless he will ALWAYS be a Manly Legend, I'd be surprised at the end of his playing days if he's not made a Life Member......Gifty won't be in Maroon and White for the next two years but he will always been a Maroon and White Champion.

By the way have some empathy for the board and Dave Perry, this cannot have been an easy decision and I am sure that they all feel exactly as we do.

Now....onwards and upwards!!

mickqld said:

Yes the DCE/Stewart brothers rift sounds like may be true.

Sea Eagles divided over Glenn Stewart's departure
Manly have famously been able to rise above off-field dramas and win games – and premierships - but Glenn Stewart's departure will test their resolve like never before. Senior players are filthy he has been able to walk out the door without an offer being tabled and are reconsidering their futures, given the lack of loyalty. There is also a split among players in the pro-Stewart camp and those against. Daly Cherry-Evans was cold and dismissive in discussing Stewart's departure on Tuesday while Jason King gave an emotional and passionate response. Read into that what you will. Members of the Penn family – co-owners of the club – personally met with Stewart to try to broker a deal but the other side of the Manly faction clearly didn't want him. Despite having a couple of years to run on his contract, Brett Stewart is likely to be the first player to ask for a release, with Canterbury ready to roll out the red carpet. And don't rule out Souths making a play for him, even allowing for Greg Inglis' presence.

http://www.sportal.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/the-repeat-set---stewart-benji-and-blunders-/1960zgwevwnf918muhg71uplh9

Co-captain Jason King admits Manly players were left devastated after team-mate Glenn Stewart hauled them into a room to confirm this season will be his last at the club.

Stewart ended months of speculation over his future on Tuesday morning, signing a two-year deal with South Sydney from next season.

Sea Eagles management didn't even bother to offer the representative forward a contract for 2015 and beyond as the salary-cap squeeze takes hold at Brookvale.

An emotional King refuted suggestions Manly players are angry at the club for not trying harder to keep Stewart but could not hide his own disappointment at the decision.

"Very disappointed, he's been a crucial member of our team and integral to a lot of success we've had over the years," King said.

"And not only that, he's a really good team member, a really good team-mate. He's done everything possible in his powers for this club over the time he's been here so it's very disappointing to see him go.

"Souths are certainly getting a very good footballer and a top bloke as well, so I guess come the end of the year we'll be a bit devastated that he's leaving but obviously wish him all the best.

"He informed us all and obviously we're all devastated that he's leaving but we've got to move on and we've got to concentrate on the football that's left this year that we will play with him."

King called on the NRL to tweak the rules to allow the likes of Stewart, who has been at the Sea Eagles for 12 years, to finish their careers as one-club players.

"I don't think anger's the word, it's just disappointing that there's no structures in place that allows clubs to be able to hang onto players like that," he said.

"We've got a few guys similar to Glenn who have been at the club a long time and it's just disappointing for the sake of two or three years at the back end of players' career that they can't stay as one-club players.

"My personal opinion is that the fans would really enjoy it if they could see someone like Glenn play out his time in a Manly jersey but at the moment the rules aren't that and unfortunately players of Glenn's quality have to move on."

Stewart's future team-mates welcomed the news of his impending arrival at the club: "He's a very good player, an experienced player, and he'll add a lot to the side next year," Bunnies prop George Burgess said.

Star half-back Adam Reynolds added: He's a great player, he's represented the game at the highest level and I think it's a good signing for the club."

http://www.sportal.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/jason-king-devastated-by-glenn-stewart-departure/1ja2lprmq8w7b1wg2yrsjk16cz

I haven't felt this gutted since the Des-aster. The Manly club, team and fans seem more like a family than a footy team.
A much loved family member is leaving.
He will look horrible in a bunnies jumper. This shouldn't have to happen to players.
As many have said Glenn will always be a Manly legend.
I hate the Nrl at the moment.:mad:

There would have to be resentment aimed at DCE; the year after next he will command basically a massive portion of the cap by himself.

COMMANDER said:
There would have to be resentment aimed at DCE; the year after next he will command basically a massive portion of the cap by himself.

Snake is doing the very same now :cool:

There is always a star player, even among a Team of Stars.

I posted this on the other thread by mistake: You see, i'm so pissed off i'm not concentrating: Sorry about the repitition . . . .

If anyone here is under the delusion that the NRL want us to retain Gifty, then SNAP OUT OF IT. They do NOT want us to retain him. In their eyes, we are successful enough already. They want to take us down 'a peg or two'. Esp Greenturd. :mad:

If they had any interest in Long Serving One Club players at all, this was snuffed out the moment they heard the club in question was Manly.
If it hadn't been snuffed out they would have done something about it by now.

You dreamers GROW UP. Exclamation I suppose you are all hoping that Greenturd's successor will be elected by popular vote amongst all the NRL Club members. And you'd be hoping the Next CEO of the NRL would be an ex-player or coach. Eg Beaver or King Wally, or Gus or Wayne B or whoever of that ilk. Like i said about you dreamers. GET REAL. Its more likely to be James Murdoch or James Packer. :mad::mad:

tookey said:
"He's a very good player, an experienced player, and he'll add a lot to the side next year," Bunnies prop George Burgess said.

Star half-back Adam Reynolds added: He's a great player, he's represented the game at the highest level and I think it's a good signing for the club."
Burgess thinks he's very good, Reynolds says he is great. Proves Reynolds is smarter than Burgess.

niccipops said:
I haven't felt this gutted since the Des-aster.
Worth keeping in mind, the departure of Hasler was going to tear the club apart, but it didn't happen. We made the grand final one year later.

Very sad to lose the Gift but happy he has got what he needs for his family and the future. RL is only for 12+ years and there is a lot of life to live after it!!!

All the best mate, true Manly Legend!!!!

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8