Golden point could be axed in NRL extra-time revamp

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Gees it just a game of footy....... we should resolve this problem like we resolve most problems where we disagree on a result ...... yep ... we need to get both captains at half way .... get the tv cameras to hone in on the captains as they have a best of three game of scissors, paper, rock.

In today's politically correct environment I wouldn't be surprised if Golden Point was replaced by a penalty count. If you have conceded more penalties then you must be bad boys, so no points for you!
Not so far fetched.
The Cricket World Cup was decided by the number of boundaries hit!
Give the man a cigar....of course this is the way they will go because then they have even more certainty that the 'correct' winner occurs......

But wait!!!!....,if a team was on the wrong end of the penalty count and still managed a draw doesn't that mean they were essentially the better team.....yikes

My post was in jest.
Don't temp the brains trust at NRLHQ

AAvV9oe.img

40 Years an Eagle,

Fair enough, I take your point about only playing some teams once and the difficulty or easy of the draw for particular teams.

I like all the rest except for this part.

This would not be fair in today's comp as the teams don't play eachother twice.The draw is not equal and some teams get an easier run.

Perhaps, I should change that to read: Best for and against between the 2 teams, or most wins between the 2 teams in the regular season, if the teams have played only once, well you go through if you beat them. E.G., this year against the Raiders, with 2 wins, we'd continue or win the Premiership, against the Bunnies we'd still be stuck but against the Storm or the Chooks, well, we'd be F'd; however, with 2 lots of extra time and a count back there should be a result before we got to that point.

If the result was still a draw, as with the Bunnies scenario, well either a 3rd lot of extra time or who finished higher on the ladder.

Last edited:
2 of the best games I've ever seen were draws.
The corresponding rounds in 80 and 81 at the old cumberland dung hill.
The latter being the last at this asylum where you shared space on the hill with some the guests that had wandered down from her majesty's finest accommodation up the road.
That was about 47 tax payer funded stadiums ago for this lot.
Get rid of golden point.
And take the Adrian Brunker and 2 refs with you turdles...

Don't mind the 7 tackle rule for what it was brought in for but typically the NRL didn't think things through properly.

As for Golden Point we have this discussion every year - either get rid of it ( which they won't - TV, player welfare etc ) or my preference the winning team gets a "golden point" - ie 1 each for a draw with the winner getting another 1 point.
The typical argument they throw up for this is - "but that makes that game worth three points and all the others two.."

Hello? Football ( soccer ) changed their points system years ago - 3 for a win, 1 each for a draw - no one seems to complain that some games are worth more than others.

Typical NRL, knee jerk comment. Really how many games a year does this really affect? Less than 10 out of the entire season, less than 5%.

Yep, just like the rest of the world let's change things for something that rarely happens just in case a gender neutral vegan is outraged!

As you said @sheridanstand78, it seemed to work quite nicely since day dot.
As @bob dylan mentioned earlier in this thread - every game is worth 4 points.
4 points for a regular time win
3 points for a golden point win
1 point for a golden point loss
2 points for each team after a draw at the end of golden point

I don't like the idea of a draw.

I don't like paying $45 for a GA ticket and not see a team win and another loose. But in saying that I can see the argument for getting rid of golden point aswell.
I like the idea of playing extra time, if you score a field goal - game continues until extra time is finished and if you are winning at the end then you win.
But if you score a try in that time then it's golden try - game is over.
I am happy with a draw. Prefer that than paying $45 to see my team get beaten by a lucky field goal by any team that weren’t up to beating us in normal time and we get nothing. Surely if 2 teams are equal they deserve equal points? There doesn’t always have to be a winner and a loser, sometimes things are equal?

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8