Gordon Chan Kum Tong

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
The reality is every hooker in the nrl must do 35 - 40 tackles every week. If he can't do that, we will be killed in the ruck.

This is where Croker never lets Manly down. Hopefully Seibold will share the two.
That will be the end of Weekes in the 17 thou.

Fingers crossed.
Weekes unfortunately has no long-term opportunity for us at his preferred positions. I see him leaving at the end of this year.

Weekes unfortunately has no long-term opportunity for us at his preferred positions. I see him leaving at the end of this year.
That's true, but we don't know how the season will pan out with injuries to the team (hopefully, none to our top players) and Weekes may start some games in the three quarters. If the team is successful, he may be less inclined to leave.

I really hope this kid is as good as some are saying.

I remember the same being said about Albert Hopoate before he played a first grade game. We know how that went.
To be fair he's playing first grade at Canberra and doing alright. He's still young. Can't write Weekes off now either. They need the opportunity and time to develop. Gordy will be a good hooker. Hopefully it's at Manly.

Work in progress @ManlyTragic I still think he will kill it at fullback in the future. That's of course if we can keep him in the club.
His only real shot in being in the run on side is through injury and his preferred position is fullback, and we all know it ain't going to happen with Tommy getting stronger by the game. But If Schuster can't play on Sunday I'd be giving Weeks a shot at 5/8, we know what Johns brings and is a capable stand in. Perfect game for Weeks to showcase his talents from the opening whistle.

To be fair he's playing first grade at Canberra and doing alright. He's still young. Can't write Weekes off now either. They need the opportunity and time to develop. Gordy will be a good hooker. Hopefully it's at Manly.

Agree, however everyone here on Silvertails, myself included were demanding Albert play first grade in 2020. We all know now he wasn't ready.

I just hope the same doesn't happen to Gordon. Hopefully he is ready which is why his potential sharing of the role with Croker is extremely important.

Agree, however everyone here on Silvertails, myself included were demanding Albert play first grade in 2020. We all know now he wasn't ready.

I just hope the same doesn't happen to Gordon. Hopefully he is ready which is why his potential sharing of the role with Croker is extremely important.

The issue is that you need to get these youngsters into first grade, even if for a couple of games so they can know where they are at and what they need to do to reach the next level. For some they adapt quickly, others can take time, especially if injury interferes with their progress such is happening to Schuster, Burbo, Koula etc. They wont learn unless they play.

Albert Hopoate, like all young players needed time on the field. At Canberra now he has secured a position at wing and in the last two weeks has gained 152 and 165 metres in the game. Compare that with Manly's Saab at 98 and 90 and Vaega at 101. Even the week before that, Tiupulotu could only manage 105. We havent seen a winger make so much ground since Garrick in Round 5 when he made a quite startling 200. So seems Albert is showing he does have what it takes. Its all about patience.

Same applies to Tong, Burbo, Weekes. Patience. These kids have the skills but they wont be champions for a few years yet (if ever). Body has to toughen up. Skills have to broaden. Takes time.

yeah i agree. He needs to be 14. Not 9. Not yet.

Croker to start for the first 20 and then Gordie coming on to replace him. I don’t expect Gordie to be a star immediately and he may need some time to settle in… but, we really should be looking to bed him in. We have played for so long without a dedicated hooker… I mean years. It’s like we are still punch drunk and unaware of this issue. Start getting hold of/bedding in genuine 9s. The experiment of playing a campaign with no dedicated 9s is over

I would give it a try, his edge defence in the frontline worried me after the penrith game which is why I probably see him more as a fullback. I would try him at centre, but I think Seibs will always have Parker and Harper as a higher option barring injury, even Talau if/when he comes. Long term wise I reckon Parker is keeping that centre spot warm for Fletcher Myers when he becomes ready, he's the real out-and-out centre that will deserve it in 12 months, and I think that's Seibs and co long-term plans for that position. Weekes is just the unlucky one out.

To a man ( or woman ) on here we all think Gordie is the messiah as far as hookers go ( realising we can’t get a Brandon Smith / Harry Grant to come ).

So if that’s the case riddle me this.

We have a spare spot in our top 30 right now , if he’s the messiah why haven’t the club elevated him already ???

The only reason I can think of is , he’s available in 3 rounds anyway , and we are holding this spot for a potential signing

To a man ( or woman ) on here we all think Gordie is the messiah as far as hookers go ( realising we can’t get a Brandon Smith / Harry Grant to come ).

We have a spare spot in our top 30 right now , if he’s the messiah why haven’t the club elevated him already ???

The only reason I can think of is , he’s available in 3 rounds anyway , and we are holding this spot for a potential signing

Or.... he's not the messiah?

I have to say, I don't see any player as a "messiah" for the Club (altho, there is a strong argument of sainthood for Jakey when he retires) but I think we've been lacking in a quality 9 (and absolutely all respect to Froggy) for so long now, we're sweating on a "tier one" player coming through. Gordie has certainly shown the most potential in our Club and so it's understandable why a lot of us are getting a bit bullish in our expectations. But I'm sure the coaching staff will bring him along in the appropriate way. The last thing they will want to do is shatter the kids confidence. As others have mentioned, having him share the load with Croker (when he's ready) makes the most sense to me. Same with Weekes. Altho, I think his position is a bit more tricky given he doesn't really have a position for which he is an automatic fit. I feel like we're getting to the point where we just don't know quite what to do with him.

Last edited:

I don’t think a hooker will ever be a messiah!
Sinner to savour….hummm not likely!

Just sayin’

I think it is for precisely the reason you’ve said. We have optionality - he isn’t in our best 17 (according to the coaches), can play where injuries arise over the next few rounds (with approval) and after round 11, is contracted for next year and he is going nowhere. So no need to upgrade him.

By leaving spot 30 open, and waiting, we can potentially land a bigger fish (as we’d only have to pay pro-rata for the year).

In some respects, having the top 30 loaded and locked so early was suboptimal planning. I like have this flexibility / optionality.

I think it is for precisely the reason you’ve said. We have optionality - he isn’t in our best 17 (according to the coaches), can play where injuries arise over the next few rounds (with approval) and after round 11, is contracted for next year and he is going nowhere. So no need to upgrade him.

By leaving spot 30 open, and waiting, we can potentially land a bigger fish (as we’d only have to pay pro-rata for the year).

In some respects, having the top 30 loaded and locked so early was suboptimal planning. I like have this flexibility / optionality.
Yes I’m sure this came into the considerations when the two youngsters were let go early.

I did read we were the ONLY club to have settled on our 30 so early !!

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 56 16
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
8 3 5 -55 8