Hands Up Who Likes Boxing?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
One thing with MMA and UFC is one knock out and its over unlike boxing where you can be gone several times and keep fighting after an 8 sec recovery.

I think you're confusing a knock-out with a knock-down.
I've seen a number of MMA fighters that appeared to be KO'd, only to wake up as their head hits the canvas. Some of them have gone on to win when the ref gave them time to recover while they managed to "intelligently defend themselves".

From the NY times today:

By NICHOLAS ST. FLEUR
NOVEMBER 19, 2015

It’s a question fans of combat sports have long grappled over: What is more dangerous, mixed martial arts or boxing?

With news of Ronda Rousey’s six-month medical suspension after being knocked out by a kick to the chin during her U.F.C. bantamweight championship defeat, it might seem that the mix of strikes, slams and submissions makes M.M.A. the victor. But a new study that compared the two sports found that although combatants in the octagon get hurt more often, their counterparts in the boxing ring suffer more severe injuries, such as getting knocked unconscious.

After reviewing post-fight medical examination records from more than 1,180 M.M.A. combatants and 550 boxers over 10 years researchers at the University of Alberta in Canada reported that M.M.A. fighters end up with minor injuries such as contusions, bruises, bloody noses and facial cuts at higher rates than boxers, while boxers are more likely to suffer from more serious injuries such asconcussions, loss of consciousness, broken noses and bones, and eye injuries including retinal detachment. Boxers were also more likely to receive longer post-fight medical suspensions than M.M.A. athletes.

The study, which was published earlier this month in The Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine, is one of the first and largest to compare injuries between the two heavy hitting sports. Though it offers insight into the dangers of the two sports, it does little to answer another question that fighting fans also wrangle with: Could Ronda Rousey beat Floyd Mayweather in a no rules match?

Interesting read, I'd say a T.K.O. For boxing.

OMG Jeff Horn wins it on points!!!!!!

And what a great fight! Awesome. Nicely done!
I have managed to catch most of it on replay.
Wow they didn't muck around.
I heard some big mouth American commentator say Manny was robbed.
Obviously talking out of his kick.
Great fight and I'm a big fan of Manny too but the Hornet was just too strong.
Manny didn't dispute the result.
A genuine fight, genuine title and a genuine Aussie champ !!
Go The Hornet.

To be honest this was the fight that made me stop watching boxing

Not the scoring but how badly horne was hurt in the 9th and we were all cheering when he showed "courage". Considering what we know about head trauma and concussion it just made me feel a bit sick - i understand the history and guts it takes for these guys to get into the ring but I wonder if we should not make the decision for them

I have managed to catch most of it on replay.
Wow they didn't muck around.
I heard some big mouth American commentator say Manny was robbed.
Obviously talking out of his kick.
Great fight and I'm a big fan of Manny too but the Hornet was just too strong.
Manny didn't dispute the result.
A genuine fight, genuine title and a genuine Aussie champ !!
Go The Hornet.

I had a UK feed and they were fully supportive of the result and their in fight predictions were spot on.

They ended with saying that people should stop listening to the self proclaimed not it all Americans as they know nothing!

To be honest this was the fight that made me stop watching boxing

Not the scoring but how badly horne was hurt in the 9th and we were all cheering when he showed "courage". Considering what we know about head trauma and concussion it just made me feel a bit sick - i understand the history and guts it takes for these guys to get into the ring but I wonder if we should not make the decision for them

I'm not a huge boxing fan but when something like this comes along I tune in (if I remember.)

I had a pretty small screen and so I saw in the 9th...Horn almost got stuck in quicksand it was kind of bizarre considering the previous rounds.

Then I heard the ref come over and say "I'm here to look after you, I think you've had enough." - but I couldn't see how badly he was hurt.

Other reports (even comments from Horn's Dad) backs up what you were saying...he was beat up, dazed, and maybe stopping was the right call.

So I bow to other's more experienced observations.

Just saw this epic rant by Deontay Wilder about Mike Tyson, not new but pretty good!
Such a gentle soul Deontay. Must’ve missed a cpl yoga classes.
(Also a good example for road-ragers.) My mate (more a lift to work tbh)years ago in Sydney, used to drive like a lunatic, and rated himself as a bit of a scrapper. One day we were coming home from work on Parramatta Rd around Ashfield way. He cuts this black commodore off that had heavy black tinted windows , and proceeds to give him what for, and is calling him to get out of the car .(just remember this was Parramatta Rd in the 80’s and knock off time,....so basically a car park.)Next thing the passenger door is flung open, and this leb looking bloke with a goatee gets out and demands the same of old mate. I was sitting in the back seat. But I knew straight away it was Jeff Fenech (I’d seen him fight in an amateur fight at a boxing night at the old Horden Pavilion ).This was early in his career. I yelled out to old mate to get back in the bloody car...too late....Fenech dropped him with a short left. I’ll never forget the speed and power of the punch, or the incredulous look on old mates face as he bounced off his own car.Fenech shouted, anyone else want a go. As I had the window rolled down, I said it’s all good Jeff. I think we’re done. He looked at me, and said "Shiit, you know who I am". I said yep. With that, he jumped back in the car and was yelling at his driver, c’mon fuuck off, one of them recognised me.
A valuable lesson was learnt that day, that I’ve never forgotten. If you want to get all mouthy and tough in traffic arguments, just remember behind those tinted windows could be a future World Boxing Champ.
(just a side note. Old mate cleaned up his driving habits exponentially after that incident.)

Heavyweight champion of the world Tyson Fury claims he’s accepted an offer to fight 53-year-old Mike Tyson in a sensational exhibition bout.

The super showdown is believed to be just one of Iron Mike’s return fights after his jaw-dropping return to fitness some 15 years after he announced his retirement, The Sun reports.

Helluva battle between Fury and Wilder. Could have gone either way but in the end Fury battered him badly. I watch very little boxing but had a feeling this would be worth seeing, wasn't wrong.

Just watched the George Kambosos feature on Spotlight (Ch7).
‘Now I’m not going to pretend I knew who he was until my daughter filled me in.
Yes, the daughter, who hates violence. Would cry if we were at the footy and her father got
a little "animated" with the Broncos fans back in the day.
Now she reels off stats in UFC, MMA, and boxing. So she couldn’t believe I hadn’t heard of Kambosos.
So while watching the show, he reminded me of a young Jeff Fenech. It’s a good watch, and I have now ordered his world title fight to become the undisputed lightweight champion of the world.
Plenty of fights before and after the main event (it’s in Melbourne, but to get prime time in America on Saturday night, the fight kicks off at 2pm Australian time).

4484A7DA-2BB7-49E4-9A10-52F8E5019E8A.jpeg

Bugger. George got done. Hainey the deserved winner. Neutralised Georges overhand right with that lightening fast left jab. Georges old man knew he had to step it up by the 8th round, but Hainey did what he had too.
Anyone see the old war horse Lucas Brownes fight. All 1:58 seconds of it. Fighting a bloke 10 years younger. One for us oldies! Loved his shiit talking after giving a gob full to Barry Russell who thought he should’ve retired.

A valuable lesson was learnt that day, that I’ve never forgotten. If you want to get all mouthy and tough in traffic arguments, just remember behind those tinted windows could be a future World Boxing Champ.
(just a side note. Old mate cleaned up his driving habits exponentially after that incident.)
Very instructive :) But Fenech was also afraid that he might have to answer for it. After all, it is illegal to beat people in daylight. In fact, beating people in broad daylight is illegal only in some cases. A showdown on the road because of a traffic violation - it should have been filmed on camera :)

Someone had to teach your friend a lesson!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4