Hasler's trail of carnage split club

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Matabele said:
Well as Jonesy has already admitted, the Board made the leak to the Herald. I doubt they did a full dump, so it's probably a selective leak (no puns intended). Lowe's comments appear damning now, but given they lay dormant for over 12 months and Penn, as you say had numerous meetings, clearly they were ignored. So what is there relevance except to revise history?

Similarly Penn's comments in the same article, assuming they are quotes. Revisionist history. And so we have it, a rush to damn Hasler. But where was that rush 6 weeks ago when fans were screaming for his retention and the Board scurrying around to secure it?

You're the one harping on Lowes comments which is ancient history but Penn comments are apparently from last week or so. Penn was a staunch supporter of Des, something went pear-shaped in contract negotiations which Penn was heavily involved in. Penn was pretty scathing of Hasler's actions so obviously there is substance in those allegations as Des dropped legal action.

Something to remember regarding the whole contract negotiation phase with Des is that the financial landscape mid this year compared with post 2011 GF would have been significantly different for those negotiating on behalf of the board?

Also remember the board were talking about committing 18 months and beyond in terms of the deal they would have to abide by - no matter what occurred during that time so I would fully support a careful and considered approach rather than a reckless “at all costs or give whatever asked” tactic?

Bones didn’t miss a game home or away all season – Matabele - this is what inspired him…

The MWTS group is growing and we are seeing more and more people at the away games joining the regulars which is great.

One of the reasons that we get to games is to support our team and cheer them on.

We get regular feedback from the players as to how much it means to them – especially in places like Melbourne, the QLD grounds and even NZ.
I just know we have helped them win key games with our support.

And - see what happens – we win a GF (I’m pretty sure he got an NRL ring as a result of his efforts and was allowed to do a lap of honour with the team)

Now…The “Old KPI’s for Des” furphy….(I saw you had bumped it - sorry for the delay - I was spending time with the family)

Let’s put this to bed once and for all – I know the story as I have queried it and spoke to a number of people a while ago on this so I was clear in my own head.

Here is the story as best I can understand it from those who were in the meeting.

A planning session for the new season (I believe for the 2009 season) was in place and as part of the process someone (and it wasn’t an FC rep) asked whether there was validity in setting KPI’s for key staff? (This was also seen to include the coach)

A person who was representing the FC (and it wasn’t Bob Reilly) said something to the effect that KPI’s were all well and good and standard business practice but in reality how would they work with our coach?

If he didn’t reach them what would you do to enforce them?

They were not probably an incentive or major driver for someone of his personality or indeed standing in the club?

Instead, it was decided that a range of incentives would work better (eg bonus for achieving certain things, keeping within budgets etc) – this was seen to be a better alternative (take from that what you will?)

Giving Des “overs” for achieving (it would seem) was the way to manage and encourage him (take from that what you will?)

He was of course subject to the usual NRL salary cap restraints and also club budget measures which (to me) make perfect sense and it would be a foolish board that didn’t have these measures in place and mechanisms to measure and track them?

If he didn’t like that then sorry, in my books - tough! (I don’t want to see our club have premierships taken away due to poor financial management?)

So sorry Andrew, there you have it…

Can we now put that one away and forget it please?

dont know if this has been raised before but does anyone know who approached who first?did dogs contact des or other way round.cheers mike

No Bob, I can't see it getting put away, but it will be carried on by other who, I believe are guilty of swinging the pendulum to the far side of hysterical anti-Hasler sentiment and revisionism. Had I or anyone suggested on these forums 6 weeks ago that Hasler was a troublesome and destabilizing influence on the club, and someone prone to demanding his own way at the expense of the greater good they would have been howled down unmercifully.

I think we all agree he has delivered a football team that has enjoyed a period of immense success. As long as he was doing so "subject to the usual NRL salary cap restraints and also club budget measures" what is the problem. Noone seems to suggest he hadn't so? Maybe Jonesy can enlighten us if there is another stash of material destined for the Herald offices in coming days?

So what then is his crime? Perhaps this tells us a little:

"Instead, it was decided that a range of incentives would work better (eg bonus for achieving certain things, keeping within budgets etc) – this was seen to be a better alternative (take from that what you will?)"

You make it sound as though he needed to be treated with kid gloves, yet this is against a backdrop of concerted attempts (and this is undeniable) to retain him. The repeated meetings previously mentioned.

A few other points of note and then I'm done:

1. It is good to know the the FC/Reilly weren't demanding KPIs but I asked if this request had come from one of the FC or those affiliated with Delmege. So presumably we can assume the latter.
2. If the club was repeatedly pursuing the man, but now have turned around and provided information to the Herald that Hasler backstabbed Zorba, Lowe thought Hasler was crap, HAsler is a serial stalker etc, then why pursue him so hard - these repeated meetings that are spoken of?

Just some thoughts. No need to respond because as Jatz has suggested, there are some trenchant positions here.

Matabele said:
Well as Jonesy has already admitted, the Board made the leak to the Herald.

If you are going to keep repeating this ad nauseam, can you just put in your signature with the other quote from yourself :)

Seriously, I think the recent revelations have barely scratched the surface of what has been going on behind the scenes for a long time, not just this current contract negotiation. No doubt a lot of stuff over the years has been kept under wraps for any number of reasons. People demanding "show me the evidence" all the time is just naive. Just because no-one is willing to go on the record with the evidence doesn't mean something doesn't exist. Like the Stewart brothers talking to the Dragons - neither the Stewarts, their manager (Mimis), the Dragons or even Manly have anything to gain by showing evidence of such talks, but that doesn't mean they haven't happened (NB: I only use this as an example, I have no idea who the Stewarts may or may not be talking to).

Des made the same shrill claim in his press release that the Board's "lack of particularisation" of the allegations meant they were baseless - turns out they weren't.

Actually, from what has been revealed about Des getting to big for his boots leads me to think about the appointment of Lowe as CEO. We all wondered why Lowe got the CEO job given he didn't seem to bring a hugely successful commercial reputation (nor did he particularly enhance it during his stint, other than the belated snaring of Kaspersky).

Perhaps the Board saw the monster they had created and so Lowe was brought in with his brief as CEO being less about the commercial aspect and more about trying to bring Des into line. He had a very highly regarded coaching career (irrespective of your views on his time at Manly) and therefore had the credibility to challenge Des on the football side of things in ways no previous Manly CEO could even dream of. Could you imagine Pat Wilson, Grant Mayer, Dave Perry or even Paul Cummings trying to put Des through a post season review like Lowe appears to have done in 2010 ?

Anyway, I think I have wasted to much time pondering all this. Roll on 2012 - 2V to take us B2B.

I thought it was interesting at the Dog's press conference today:

Journalist: How will you go working with a strong coach?

Greenberg: It's pretty simple. Des's job is the football operations. My job is the business side. My job is to support him and give him every opportunity to succeed and vice versa. We are going to form a pretty strong team. This is not just about a successful team but a successful club!!

What a pity that some at Manly didn't think of something like this in the past few months. It is what I struggle with, amidst all the meglomania comments (that have just surfaced!). The coach is in charge of Football operations. The COO and board is in charge of the business.

I think it prudent to point out that this release of emails, contradicts the information previously put out by the board in regards to efforts to retain hasler and their reasoning for doing so.

Interesting really and shows what I have always thought, there are a lot of used car salesmen and pitician involved, masquerading as business men

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4