Hasler's trail of carnage split club

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Berkeley_Eagle said:
5 weeks he has gone from hero to zero in manly peoples eyes

Certainly in mine and my families' eyes. Great shame. When you worship from afar as we fans do we only see a facade - similar to an actor. Now that more information is coming out about his 'true' personality and work habits then I can see why the Board had some many disagreements with him.
It seems that everybody respected Des, but that he didn't have that much respect for others.
I hope that come next week we can put this issue behind us, and then concentrate on on-field matters.
Frankly, this blow-up could bring all parties together and make us a stronger club. I'm sure opponents are way off the mark suggesting that we will 'implode'. That seems less likely now that the 'firecracker' has been removed. We could, however, see blow-ups coming from Belmore in the next year or two.

Like most of you here, I was amazed to read this article. It certainly paints Des in a very poor light. For so long we were told Des couldn't get along with management.... the assumption being they were being unreasonable and intentionally disruptive to Des trying to run the football operations dept.

Now it seems we know the truth. It has been Des's controlling, "my way or else" attitude that has progressively made it impossible for him to stay at Manly. I said in another post that I also think the board had some blame in this and I stand by that. They've allowed the situation to degenerate to this point, even going so far as to offer him overs to re-sign when the situation was untenable.

The good thing is that the eventual outcome is the right one for the Manly club. Des is gone and Toove's is now in charge which is the start of a new era. Des is clearly a destabilizing influence and if he was going to fit in anywhere, it's at the dogs. We've got Toove's and our future is looking brighter by the day...

In Toove's we trust.

The silence from those who have continually put the blame on the Manly board is defeaning.

I also have good mail* that Hasler coerced key players to insist their contract upgrades included these oft quoted "get out clauses" as an insurance policy for himself. They were also there to be used as leverage in his ongoing contract negotiations. Seems Des is very good at chess.

* I don't have any mail at all, unlike a lot of people on here. I made all this up, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility given some of the other revelations in this article.

In many ways I am glad this article came out. It doesn't show Des in a good light and might put something to bed for all of us, but my mistrusting personality has doubts. My issue with it is the taking of only parts of emails or performance reviews and publishing them without anyone knowing the context of where they came or previous discussions held or whether they are accurate, and really leaving no genuine right of reply. It seems gutless to me. I'm not saying that isn't the closure we have been seeking and it might all be above board and here's the proof. I just don't see why it couldn't have been done as a club release rather than delivered in an underhanded way.

Lowe concluded: ''… Des asked me during the review whether I would support him for an extension in his contract for season 2013 and 2014 [I said no] … On countless occasions I have heard complaints regarding the behaviour of the Head Coach from Board members … there had developed an unworkable situation between the two of us …''

That says alot.

Swoop, as well? he hasn't destroyed our club. My guess is he's made it stronger. Adversity makes you stronger.

ManlyBacker said:
In many ways I am glad this article came out. It doesn't show Des in a good light and might put something to bed for all of us, but my mistrusting personality has doubts. My issue with it is the taking of only parts of emails or performance reviews and publishing them without anyone knowing the context of where they came or previous discussions held or whether they are accurate, and really leaving no genuine right of reply. It seems gutless to me. I'm not saying that isn't the closure we have been seeking and it might all be above board and here's the proof. I just don't see why it couldn't have been done as a club release rather than delivered in an underhanded way.

In fairness to the Board, they can't release these kind of things (if they are legitimate) in an official media release while there is the prospect of legal action. And employee confidentiality issues would also stand in the way of it.

However, it would be fascinating to know how this made its way to the SMH. And it would be unfortunate if it hardens Hasler's resolve to have his day in Court.

Amazing how people rubbish everything printed in the telegraph as being rubbish yet as soon as the herald says that they have obtained confidential e-mails then everyone believes them.

Is the club going to conduct a witchhunt to find out who released them to the herald because I would suggest that whoever did it has breached a number of laws and their employment conditions and should be sacked immediately.

I won't hold my breath waiting for it to happen though.

DSM5 said:
Swoop, as well? he hasn't destroyed our club. My guess is he's made it stronger. Adversity makes you stronger.
Great positive attitude DSM5. !!!

DSM5 said:

Didn't mean it to sound like that dsm5. I hope he destroys the dogs by failure.

Hasler wanted a media fight, and a media fight is what he got. The club was forced to release the information to clear their name in the whole debacle.

This all could of been avoided if hasler left quietly but it was clear it couldnt as he wanted out of 2012, he picked a fight so he could get out and thought he would throw punches and manly would sit back and not take aim to clear their name? please he dug his own grave and now has to live with it.

Sad time for the club but i think this will make everyone under toovs stronger.

Des and his supporters leak to News Ltd.
The Board leaks to Fairfax.
Thus we get two edges of a story with the truth somewhere in the middle.

bones said:
The silence from those who have continually put the blame on the Manly board is defeaning.

Deafening silence really, I feel the percentages for the factions are about to change again!

Very true The Who, we get fed lots of information and this is finally a counter balance to all the stuff we have been hearing bashing Manly and the board.

The truth is somewhere in the middle their i suspect but we will never know the whole story i imagine. I was amazed when i read the story a few minutes ago but also happy but also sad at the same time (weird feeling i tell you). It reveals alot we as fans weren't to know and fills in alot of holes in the story and a few surprises.

I always heard that Des and Zorba were close but it doesn't sound like Des thought they were.

Hope Manly as a club can start to move on from this saga. The sooner the better

I don't want to sound like I'm a dinosaur lover, but guys like arko and bozo know what the club is about and how it ticks.

As for Zorba, maybe he didnt do hi job up to the standards many of you expected but its plain to see he's manly all over.

Old school manly, kept it all in and did what he thought was best for the team. Although copping it from des.

He continually praised him for his efforts and promoted him positively to the media in a bid to keep team harmony.

Quite frankly because he knew that although he was a control freak, he could coach and that he was the best option for the team.

Despite all the crap he soldiered on, got sacked and still kept loyal to the club.

Manly through and through, no dirty linen from his end.

Now that's loyalty, not packing up your bags and going like des.

Can't handle people bagging him so badly on here. Whats his crime? I don't get it?

kingoftherodeo said:

Manly through and through, no dirty linen from his end.

Can't handle people bagging him so badly on here. Whats his crime? I don't get it?

I've got a heap of time and respect for Zorba. But since he got punted half the stuff the DT has run with, mostly before he left for his Greek hols, came from him.

kingoftherodeo said:

I agree with most of your post except for the comment above. Who would take him if he did pack his bags?

Des must have taken all of this pretty hard. So much so,that he's starting with the dogturds on Monday. Way to go Des. Have fun at the aptly named Dogs.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2