How should we go about Golden Point/Extra Time?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'm not having a go at you, I just think they would lose out by giving away penalties like that anyway as they couldn't keep the defence up and refs would sin bin if it was continous and blatant.
I agree,it would be stupid to keep going for penalty goals but the rules still allow it to be an option.Its about the integrity of the game.Its like the stupid rule they abolished a few yrs ago where a player could knock the ball dead and get the ball back by having one foot outside the field.It didn't happen all that often before the yr it came in vogue but it was still a rule.But once the credibility of the situation came into question they changed it.Stupid rules are still rules

I agree,it would be stupid to keep going for penalty goals but the rules still allow it to be an option.Its about the integrity of the game.Its like the stupid rule they abolished a few yrs ago where a player could knock the ball dead and get the ball back by having one foot outside the field.It didn't happen all that often before the yr it came in vogue but it was still a rule.But once the credibility of the situation came into question they changed it.Stupid rules are still rules
Why not then go 9 a side and play first to 4 points..?

• 👍
Reactions: Ben
Why not then go 9 a side and play first to 4 points..?
Then they are changing the fabric of the game.If you're going to do that,why not have both teams fullbacks have one arm tied behind his back or the half back has to carry a pack of cards in his hands and not allowed to drop one.The game needs to keep its integrity and golden point or try are not the answer

Then they are changing the fabric of the game.If you're going to do that,why not have both teams fullbacks have one arm tied behind his back or the half back has to carry a pack of cards in his hands and not allowed to drop one.The game needs to keep its integrity and golden point or try are not the answer
Just by having extra time, the "fabric" of the game is changed. So the only solution might be to call it a draw at full time? Whatever they do everyone will not be satisfied.

I personally would be happy for regular games to end a draw.
For finals 10 mins extra time. No golden point. If still a draw have a 5 minute break switch halves and go another 10

Firstly - 4 points means you can't get a penalty and kick a goal to win it. Either try or 2 penalties at which point the losing team deserves it.

Secondly 9 a side is a nod to ice hockey going to 3 on 3 which is incredible in case you haven't seen it. Plus we have a 9's tournament so it would in a way, validates it's existence and also get teams to take it seriously. Dropping players for the extra time isn't a huge shift.

Again you take a lead from the NHL here and giving the losing team in extra time a point, winner gets full points.

I did a post outlining this very thing this morning....but I deleted it as I couldn't be bothered dealing with..... well, I'll let a picture explain it. (It happened last time I mentioned it.)

D2TaUFN.gif

Just by having extra time, the "fabric" of the game is changed. So the only solution might be to call it a draw at full time? Whatever they do everyone will not be satisfied.
thats correct,do away with E.T. for regular season games.Only for matches that require a result.Then give the referees the support and backing to control the game how it should be,not where they hide their whistles for the ET period

Firstly - 4 points means you can't get a penalty and kick a goal to win it. Either try or 2 penalties at which point the losing team deserves it.

Secondly 9 a side is a nod to ice hockey going to 3 on 3 which is incredible in case you haven't seen it. Plus we have a 9's tournament so it would in a way, validates it's existence and also get teams to take it seriously. Dropping players for the extra time isn't a huge shift.
Or ... a slower build-up - golden try and drop a player from each side every five minutes (starting with 12) until there's a result.

PS Loobs. Who'd have guessed you like North American sports? We learn something new every day.

Golden try but if it is scored by a back the play must be started in the teams half, otherwise it must be scored by a forward

Shoot the on field officials, ravage the cheerleaders and refund the crowd (including the money they spent on cold pies and warm beer)

The object of the game is to score tries. I am sick of seeing teams lose a gold point game by a field goal where illegal blocking takes place. Golden try for me to decide finals , grand finals and origin and international games, 5 minutes each way and if scores remain deadlocked you then play further time and reduce the numbers on each side to open up the game.

I personally would like to see during the premiership rounds teams rewarded for 80 minutes of hard work.

Again you take a lead from the NHL here and giving the losing team in extra time a point, winner gets full points.

This is the way I think it should be done.
1 pt each for the draw and then they are effectively playing for a bonus point.
The NRL's argument with this is that it creates an odd number of points, so what? They want close competitive football but if you lose to a flukey field goal in extra time you get jack, may as well lose in normal time.
At least by getting 1 point it's not as bad a pill to swallow if you lose to a dodgy/contentious refs call.

Or ... a slower build-up - golden try and drop a player from each side every five minutes (starting with 12) until there's a result.

PS Loobs. Who'd have guessed you like North American sports? We learn something new every day.
Let me give you my opinion of Jarrod Hayne's chances of making it in the NFL... @;)

• 😆
Reactions: Rex

PS to you too - wasn't the dropping a player every few minutes an old Bill Simmons suggestion for hockey..?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6